Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in calf heifer weight

Options
  • 03-07-2021 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭

What type of weight do people aim for for heifers at calving? We usually calf at 30-36months so never really a consideration. I decided to pull them back last year and try calf a little younger.

How do the below current weight compare against their predicted calf dates?

Heifer 1, Current weigh 565kg, aged 27 months. Time to calving 3 months.

Heifer 2, Current weigh 555kg, aged 22 Months. Time to calving 6 months.

Heifer 3, Current weigh 608kg, aged 21 Months. Time to calving 5 months (she is a beast and an outlier!).

Heifer 4, Current weigh 516kg, aged 21 months. Time to calving 5 months.

Heifer 5, Current weigh 530kg, aged 20 months. Time to calving 5 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

893bet wrote: »
    What type of weight do people aim for for heifers at calving? We usually calf at 30-36months so never really a consideration. I decided to pull them back last year and try calf a little younger.

How do the below current weight compare against their predicted calf dates?

Heifer 1, Current weigh 565kg, aged 27 months. Time to calving 3 months.

Heifer 2, Current weigh 555kg, aged 22 Months. Time to calving 6 months.

Heifer 3, Current weigh 608kg, aged 21 Months. Time to calving 5 months (she is a beast and an outlier!).

Heifer 4, Current weigh 516kg, aged 21 months. Time to calving 5 months.

Heifer 5, Current weigh 530kg, aged 20 months. Time to calving 5 months.

Heifers 4 + 5 would be my ideal weight, don't like cow's going 700-750 kg and only rearing the same size weanlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

148multi wrote: »
    Heifers 4 + 5 would be my ideal weight, don't like cow's going 700-750 kg and only rearing the same size weanlings.

The logic being that first calving at a lighter weight means they won’t grow to the same mature size?

Advertisement