Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

in calf heifer weight

• 03-07-2021 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭ 893bet

What type of weight do people aim for for heifers at calving? We usually calf at 30-36months so never really a consideration. I decided to pull them back last year and try calf a little younger.

How do the below current weight compare against their predicted calf dates?

Heifer 1, Current weigh 565kg, aged 27 months. Time to calving 3 months.

Heifer 2, Current weigh 555kg, aged 22 Months. Time to calving 6 months.

Heifer 3, Current weigh 608kg, aged 21 Months. Time to calving 5 months (she is a beast and an outlier!).

Heifer 4, Current weigh 516kg, aged 21 months. Time to calving 5 months.

Heifer 5, Current weigh 530kg, aged 20 months. Time to calving 5 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭ 148multi

893bet wrote: »
    What type of weight do people aim for for heifers at calving? We usually calf at 30-36months so never really a consideration. I decided to pull them back last year and try calf a little younger.

How do the below current weight compare against their predicted calf dates?

Heifer 1, Current weigh 565kg, aged 27 months. Time to calving 3 months.

Heifer 2, Current weigh 555kg, aged 22 Months. Time to calving 6 months.

Heifer 3, Current weigh 608kg, aged 21 Months. Time to calving 5 months (she is a beast and an outlier!).

Heifer 4, Current weigh 516kg, aged 21 months. Time to calving 5 months.

Heifer 5, Current weigh 530kg, aged 20 months. Time to calving 5 months.

Heifers 4 + 5 would be my ideal weight, don't like cow's going 700-750 kg and only rearing the same size weanlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭ 893bet

148multi wrote: »
    Heifers 4 + 5 would be my ideal weight, don't like cow's going 700-750 kg and only rearing the same size weanlings.

The logic being that first calving at a lighter weight means they won’t grow to the same mature size?

Advertisement