Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Race to Space, Branson vs. Bezos

Options
  • 02-07-2021 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

Branson says he is heading to space on July 11th and he is aiming to beat Bezos there by 9 days. Bezos is currently scheduled to blast off on July 20th which is the 52nd anniversary of the Apollo moon landings. Branson has no time for such symbolism and just wants to be first there to promote his Virgin Galactic space tourism project.

Will Jeff strike back and bring his own space flight forward? Theres no point being a multi billionaire if you lose a space race to another multi billionaire. Bezos will end up being a loser billionaire and that will hurt him.

C'mon Jeff, fire up those rockets!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Out of this world!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Once we were sending monkeys into space, now we're sending "loser billionaires".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

That’s fine, it’s putting some of those billions back in to the economy rather than just locking them up in “investments”.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Wasn't Bill Cullen planning on being the first Irish person on one of these flights?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wasn't Bill Cullen planning on being the first Irish person on one of these flights?

Him and some guy who made his cash off premium rate phone lines were both claiming they'd be the first Irish up. I suspect both have cashed in their deposits since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Branson has always been an egomaniac. Whereas Bezos used to seem relatively normal - for a billionaire. Midlife crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

This sounds like the plot of a science fiction horror movie. I’m all in. Although surprised that Bezos would let a peon like Branson get the jump on him. He only has single digit billions, pfft.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I see that Bezos is bringing along an old dear. Is it to stop God/fate exploding the rocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Branson has always been an egomaniac. Whereas Bezos used to seem relatively normal - for a billionaire. Midlife crisis?

Bezos, normal?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Musk has put humans into orbit, sent a car to Mars Orbit and is flight testing something that could land on the Moon or Mars.

Branson has sent stuff into orbit multiple times. But nowhere near as rich as the other multi billionaires.

Bezos has gotten congress to fund another $10Bn in space stuff and he hopes to get a large chuck of that just because of ties with ULA.

The BE4 engine has been delayed, yet again. Amazon's satellites are going up on other people's rockets.

There are 4 NS rockets, one crashed, one for cargo (?), one that's used up it's flight hours. That leaves NS4 as the only usable one and DC-X was doing the same stuff nearly 30 years ago. The X-15 was doing it in 1963. Branson is doing it cheaper and without parachutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

branie2 wrote: »
    Out of this world!

Sign the petition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Musk has put humans into orbit, sent a car to Mars Orbit and is flight testing something that could land on the Moon or Mars.

Branson has sent stuff into orbit multiple times. But nowhere near as rich as the other multi billionaires.

Bezos has gotten congress to fund another $10Bn in space stuff and he hopes to get a large chuck of that just because of ties with ULA.

The BE4 engine has been delayed, yet again. Amazon's satellites are going up on other people's rockets.

There are 4 NS rockets, one crashed, one for cargo (?), one that's used up it's flight hours. That leaves NS4 as the only usable one and DC-X was doing the same stuff nearly 30 years ago. The X-15 was doing it in 1963. Branson is doing it cheaper and without parachutes.

I'd be betting on Musk, not followed Bezos but not much to follow maybe. Branson's aims are a probably a little more modest

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its not a proper race without the involvement of the unscrupulous Sir Percy Ware-Armitage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Bezos has been in Star Trek though so I think he wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

What about Zefram Cochrane?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I was in full support of these flights until I found out they plan on returning.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    I was in full support of these flights until I found out they plan on returning.

Sign the petition.

One things for sure he appears to be confident that none of the designers/manufacturers or builders have cut corners to save a few quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,339 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I get the impression neither is ready yet, I expect one will end in tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

T minus 6 days, check out the fancy blue boots on the crew

https://twitter.com/SpaceflightNow/status/1411525644576567296

The uniforms are funky. Wonder how Bezos will compare...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The uniforms are funky. Wonder how Bezos will compare...

He has a selection:

557646.jpg

He has a selection:

557646.jpg

Those are very unsexy. No wonder he is going to be beaten by Branson.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Unless..

kidrobotsexyflanders__18539.1621273467.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Stupid sexy Flanders!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Meet the crew, as the boss man Branson gets to call himself 'Astronaut 001'

Its been live streamed 2pm Sunday

https://twitter.com/virgingalactic/status/1410727434530422784

Branson sez "And when we return, I will announce something very exciting, to give more people a chance to become astronauts"
    That will probably be him releasing the price list to go to space, $200k+ a skull

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Set phasers to STUNNING!

557679.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Smiffys-Fever-Space-Cadet-Costume/dp/B0096ORDA6/ref=sr_1_30?dchild=1&keywords=space+costume&qid=1625505395&sr=8-30

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Of course, those space outfits could never be as sexy as these..... :D

Advertisement