Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are Agri-Contractors making money?

Options
12346»

Comments

kevthegaff wrote: »
    No problem with someone chatting on the phone, but people messaging etc is lethal

It's as if they think they can't be seen, but obvious as hell even passing each other at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I heard of a contractor who had strict clauses on his insurance for vehicles.
    Flashing lights & beacons all over the shop.
    2 cameras in tractor cabs one watching the road and the other watching the driver.
    No late work .10.30 or 11.00pm finishing

Still see the lads on the phones and the speed is crazy with a few of them. Usually we hear of at least one incident every year involving trailers mostly. Had a case in the HighCourt a few years back involving a RTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Grueller wrote: »
    And have a tractor weighing 10 tonnes plus a four tonne trailer (if empty) or up to twenty tonnes (if loaded) go, not into your car, but probably across it. His wallet would never be able to clean up that mess.

brakes on most contractor tractors and trailers are now Air, you will stop them quicker than most cars once maintained correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

kevthegaff wrote: »
    No problem with someone chatting on the phone, but people messaging etc is lethal

This lad was caught with unintended consequence's. Tax nearly 10 years out if date.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/getting-the-message-tractor-driver-in-hot-water-with-gardai/

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

brakes on most contractor tractors and trailers are now Air, you will stop them quicker than most cars once maintained correctly

Correct, but the poster I was responding to was suggesting letting the contractor run into the back of a car.
    That is also dependent upon driver attention and reaction times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Too_Old_Boots

Are these prices for real? I'm at €13 inc vat / bale for the contractor to Mow, bale + wrap and he supplies the plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Jb1989 wrote: »
    I'd have pulled in to let him by,
    sometimes it's as easy to let people on their way, than makeing a statement.

This, if your are under no pressure and enjoying drive and the fella behind you could have a long day and night ahead of them to get stuff saved before rain. For the sake of a minute or 2 just pull in and leave them off. I like to think I do my best to pull in and leave off traffic where it's safe to do so, instead of watching traffic build up behind me. Like I said already it might only be a minute but it makes a bif difference.

A funny story for ye now with dealing with impatient drivers. Last Sunday I was hauling silage for a neighbour with my tractor and silage trailer. It does about 43km on the road. Most of the roads I travelled were either a primary main road or a secondary road. I was loaded heading back to the yard travelling on the secondary road.. A VW passat came up behind me quickly, I was watching him in the mirrors and I knew by him he was eager to pass. There was no wide margin for me to pull in to let him off or for him to pass. He was behind me for about 5 minutes. He went to pass me on a short straight coming up to a bad left hand bend. While he was coming up by the side of me a car came in the opposite direction forcing him to actually stop and pull back in behind me. He caught up with me in a minute flashing lights and beeping the horn (I had a side window open). He passed me going uphill on a short straight again, caused me to swerve into the ditch and nearly cause another crash with an oncoming car. He then decided to give me the middle finger all while this was going on. I took down the reg and make of the car. Off He went and I kept going. 5 minutea later I was passing through a small village with a chipper in it. Here was your man and his family horsing into a take away that he picked up. I was very tempted to get out of the tractor and let a few fúcks in the window at him, I decided not to lower myself to that but I did report him for dangerous driving. Not sure if anything will come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The problem is stupid car drivers thinking you can stop on a six pence.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    This, if your are under no pressure and enjoying drive and the fella behind you could have a long day and night ahead of them to get stuff saved before rain. For the sake of a minute or 2 just pull in and leave them off. I like to think I do my best to pull in and leave off traffic where it's safe to do so, instead of watching traffic build up behind me. Like I said already it might only be a minute but it makes a bif difference.

A funny story for ye now with dealing with impatient drivers. Last Sunday I was hauling silage for a neighbour with my tractor and silage trailer. It does about 43km on the road. Most of the roads I travelled were either a primary main road or a secondary road. I was loaded heading back to the yard travelling on the secondary road.. A VW passat came up behind me quickly, I was watching him in the mirrors and I knew by him he was eager to pass. There was no wide margin for me to pull in to let him off or for him to pass. He was behind me for about 5 minutes. He went to pass me on a short straight coming up to a bad left hand bend. While he was coming up by the side of me a car came in the opposite direction forcing him to actually stop and pull back in behind me. He caught up with me in a minute flashing lights and beeping the horn (I had a side window open). He passed me going uphill on a short straight again, caused me to swerve into the ditch and nearly cause another crash with an oncoming car. He then decided to give me the middle finger all while this was going on. I took down the reg and make of the car. Off He went and I kept going. 5 minutea later I was passing through a small village with a chipper in it. Here was your man and his family horsing into a take away that he picked up. I was very tempted to get out of the tractor and let a few fúcks in the window at him, I decided not to lower myself to that but I did report him for dangerous driving. Not sure if anything will come of it.

Often see that type on N59, dangerous overtaking then pull off up a side road a few hundred yards later. Absolutely nothing between the ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

There's arguments both ways

Pulling in and out of the road can be hazardous you can keep left to leave as much road as possible

Other times to let them pass you would literally have to stop in from of the car behind if there's no width

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

davidk1394 wrote: »

what a retard ...putting his family (not to mention is his mong self) in danger for the sake of a few minutes and a couple of chips

I have no problem with a lad passing something slower moving if its safe to do it but that lad is a danger to others as well as himself and his family, imagine if a kid on a bicycle is coming the other way etc

Some people are such morons, I had one of those once too roaring abuse out the window even though there was nowhere I could pull in, I always make an effort to pull in as 1) I dont like a long line of traffic building up behind me and it wont delay me much to do so/seems the considerate/intelligent/sensible thing to do 2) Id like not to be delayed unnecessarily myself when the roles are reversed 3) Id imagine a garda would take a dim view of a lad with a couple of kms of a tailback behind him unnecessarily.

tbh when a lad is acting like your chipper lad I put them in the same mental category as the neanderthals roaring abuse at the ref and 12 year olds at underage matches despite the fact they look like they would be about as useful on a pitch themselves as a chocolate teapot....I award them a mental darwin award and make myself content with the notion that the universe might just do so as well in time.

Henry... wrote: »
    There's arguments both ways

Pulling in and out of the road can be hazardous you can keep left to leave as much road as possible

Other times to let them pass you would literally have to stop in from of the car behind if there's no width

Theres no real arguement,nor excuse for bad behaviour when driving/on the road

He deosnt own it,theres no hour gone from tomorrow that 5 mins today is gonna make a difference about

If he has too much work on,is over stressed,perhaps its time to consider a new career/hire help......an end of the day,all this rushing about panicking is only sign of poor management,the work will always get done

,there will always be another breakdown,another shower on the way etc,another lads work to be done......its not as if all this hasnt happened/been done numourous times over last several decades

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

What is the law if driving a tractor on the hard shoulder, or even temporarily pulling in but staying driving to let traffic past?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Your not allowed drive on it. Pulling in to let things by is also technically not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

What is the law if driving a tractor on the hard shoulder, or even temporarily pulling in but staying driving to let traffic past?

Depends on the guard. I heard of lads getting pulled for driving on the hard shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Reggie. wrote: »
    Depends on the guard. I heard of lads getting pulled for driving on the hard shoulder

You can drive on hard shoulder as long as its not a motorway or duel carriageway to let traffic pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

celt262 wrote: »
    You can drive on hard shoulder as long as its not a motorway or duel carriageway to let traffic pass.

I know that but there was a guard going around the mullingar area getting onto drivers for driving on the hard shoulder at one stage. Could have been fresh out of templemore or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Nothing will come of it unless you make a statement and are willing to go to court about it.

Best that will happen is he will get a bollocking

You can use the hard shoulder as long as its safe to do so. . If there is an accident on the hard shoulder , it wasnt safe to use it and you can be held responsible. I know of a few accidents that the tractor driver got the blame as he was driving on s hard shoulder.

Fbd at one stage told s local contractor not to be using the hard shoulder as if there was an accident , there could be issues with the insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Aside from hedge cutting, what are yer contractors doing with tractors during the autumn/winter/spring to keep money ticking over?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Harvesting Christmas trees 🌲. It takes about 6 weeks and is heavy work on a man but light on a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is a lot of machinery maintenance done during the winter. You have hauling of bales and there can be contracted feeding. the closed window for slurry is only 12ish weeks. When wether is suitable there is tilling and ground preparation for spring. The system has often a lot of casual/temporary labour as this is laid off often for he winter(or holiday leave used) overhauling machinery for the next season keeps the show going

And of course the there is a sh!t load of money to be collected

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement