Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor dining experience

Options
  • 30-06-2021 9:11pm

Just went for a meal with the family. Outdoor dining as the place is advertised as a restaurant. Really looking forward to it, until the 3 tables beside us started smoking some tables were not even eating. Staff said nothing. Is it even legal to smoke in restaurant even if it’s outside ? Meal ruined, but I didn’t want to make a scene.

Comments

Just went for a meal with the family. Outdoor dining as the place is advertised as a restaurant. Really looking forward to it, until the 3 tables beside us started smoking some tables were not even eating. Staff said nothing. Is it even legal to smoke in restaurant even if it’s outside ? Meal ruined, but I didn’t want to make a scene.

Just curious, is smoking allowed in outdoor dining section of restaurant?

Yes

Yes

So when the smoking regulations say no smoking in restaurants that only means indoors ? I assumed it also covered outdoors as it’s still the restaurant. That must have meant I ate in the restaurants smoking area which is totally bizarre and I can’t understand how restaurants get away with that. Aren’t we all outdoors because of public health concerns but now someone can smoke beside me while I’m eating in the restaurant and there is little that can be done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

So when the smoking regulations say no smoking in restaurants that only means indoors ? I assumed it also covered outdoors as it’s still the restaurant. That must have meant I ate in the restaurants smoking area which is totally bizarre and I can’t understand how restaurants get away with that. Aren’t we all outdoors because of public health concerns but now someone can smoke beside me while I’m eating in the restaurant and there is little that can be done ?

Stop eating in smoking areas.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Stop eating in smoking areas.

Seriously I know this might be fun for you but this completely ruined our meal. I get it first world problems right, but considering this was my first chance to eat out since 2020 I don’t feel it’s unreasonable to except a smoke free meal. I booked a table and was seated in the restaurants smoking area. Should I make a complaint or is there no recourse ?

• Advertisement

So when the smoking regulations say no smoking in restaurants that only means indoors ?

Regulations don't say no smoking in restaurants. They say no smoking indoors.

Is it even legal to smoke in restaurant even if it’s outside ?

Er, yes, it is legal to smoke outside.

Unless the outdoor-area is covered on all sides, and has a roof with only minimal ventilation, the people can probably smoke.

I admit it can be rude in some circumstances. I occasionally smoke, and have become super conscious about it post-Covid. I don't think there is any risk, but people don't want to be breathing someone else's breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Unfortunately it is

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Smoking in those areas is allowed, a load of pubs/restaurants have stopped it (leaving no smoking areas at all) but nowhere near all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,560 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

To be getting away with something as you put it, they’d have to be breaking some law and the smoking ban applies to indoors not outdoors otherwise smoking areas in pubs are breaking the law which they aren’t.

It’s outdoor dining because of a transmissible respiratory virus, not because there’s because of smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Seriously I know this might be fun for you but this completely ruined our meal. I get it first world problems right, but considering this was my first chance to eat out since 2020 I don’t feel it’s unreasonable to except a smoke free meal. I booked a table and was seated in the restaurants smoking area. Should I make a complaint or is there no recourse ?

AH is probably not the best place to seek advice about complaints or intercourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,049 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nothing illegal about it you can smoke at an outside table. Did you have a read about the place beforehand look at pics of outdoor dining?
    Could you not of asked to be moved?

Fair enough, word of warning to anyone with kids or anyone who doesn’t like smoke, if you go for a meal except all the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,070 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Maybe the people at the other table were out for the first time since 2020 too?

When I smoked if somebody let me know I was bothering them I would either stop or go elsewhere. You didn't ask to be moved or ask them to stop. Not much can be done in that instance.

Maybe the people at the other table were out for the first time since 2020 too?

When I smoked if somebody let me know I was bothering them I would either stop or go elsewhere. You didn't ask to be moved or ask them to stop. Not much can be done in that instance.

Couldn’t be moved, as all tables full. I’ll be avoiding outdoor dining if this is the case. Nothing to do with complaining, just don’t want my young kids having to inhale smoke while eating their dinner. I guess outdoor dining is only aimed at those who don’t mind people smoking beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,049 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fair enough, word of warning to anyone with kids or anyone who doesn’t like smoke, if you go for a meal except all the above.
    Can you tell us the place?

I have dined outside a few times and had no issues.
    The outside dining terrace in the Dylan is a lovely spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll be avoiding outdoor dining in general, nothing turns me off the idea of food more than having to eat it outside, especially a proper meal.

Couldn’t be moved, as all tables full. I’ll be avoiding outdoor dining if this is the case. Nothing to do with complaining, just don’t want my young kids having to inhale smoke.

Fair enough.

I'd imagine the food and drinks and passing traffic fumes would be more potentially harmful than some smoke drifting about in the open air.

gmisk wrote: »
    Can you tell us the place?

I have dined outside a few times and had no issues.
    The outside dining terrace in the Dylan is a lovely spot.

Don’t want to name the place, no point as it seems perfectly legal according to the posts above.

Don’t want to name the place, no point as it seems perfectly legal according to the posts above.

Why would it be an issue if it is legal?

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

I'd imagine the food and drinks and passing traffic fumes would be more potentially harmful than some smoke drifting about in the open air.

In a picturesque spot nowhere near cars.

Went for a meal this evening in a place that has done a good job on outdoor dining. About 20 tables. They had a no smoking sign on display. The smokers and vapers just went around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Shanty towns in Calcutta are more appealing than most outdoor restaurants here.

Why would it be an issue if it is legal?

I wanted to know if it was legal. I assumed it wasn’t as the smoking ban says no smoking in restaurants. I was outdoors but still in the restaurant. Anyone seems its legal so I’ll just avoid outdoor dining for now.

Couldn’t be moved, as all tables full. I’ll be avoiding outdoor dining if this is the case.
    As FrancieBrady said, just mention it to the smoker next time.

We are well used to people saying 'oh look, would you mind not doing that here, we're over here with kids' etc -- it's absolutely no problem for the vast majority of people. I would do it myself in a similar situation. Nearly everyone understands it.

Restaurants should probably try to designate specific smoking areas, even outdoors, as I can see how this would be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

In a picturesque spot nowhere near cars.

I guess you will have to get used to it if outdoor dining in the future.

As FrancieBrady said, just mention it to the smoker next time.

We are well used to people saying 'oh look, would you mind not doing that here, we're over here with kids' etc -- it's absolutely no problem for the vast majority of people. I would do it myself in a similar situation. Nearly everyone understands it.

Restaurants should probably try to designate specific smoking areas, even outdoors, as I can see how this would be an issue.

Easier said than done but I understand what you’re saying. I just assumed restaurants were covered under the smoking ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You are temporary guests in our space now until
    You go back iinside

Show some respect

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Fair enough.

I wanted to write this comment but I think you put it better than I could

• Advertisement

I wanted to write this comment but I think you put it better than I could

Yeah it’s a fantastic one alright, really insightful stuff. Sorry for not embracing the smoke. I’ll try be more tolerant next time I got out for a meal with young kids.

Advertisement