Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mondello 24

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

"I heard from one of the participants that there is a 'Le Mans Style Start' which means the cyclists have to run across the finishing straight, jump on their bikes and off they go. I'd nearly go and watch that bit just for the fun if it. Never seen it in cycling before, imagine it would be interesting if raining"

I've done it on track before, so, so much fun and muchly hilarious!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

best of luck today to anyone taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

Best of luck to all, and to those reading this while they're chomping at the bit to get going, remember the real race only starts at midnight....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like the rain has arrived now (going by the rainfall radar)

Link to leaderboard below, some of the solo riders putting up impressive numbers when you compare to some teams

https://partner.racetimer.se/results/relay24h?race_id=4997&minimum_lap_time=60&show_all=true

• Advertisement

some great team names in there - deceunick slow step, for example

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Anywhere with a list of who's on what team?

UCD are setting some pace - if each lap is 3.5km, they're averaging about 38km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭secman

A lad from Gorey cc avgd 42kph for his first stint this morning, was back on at 5pm but haven't seen it yet.

sure i'd be able to average 42km/h for my first stint, if my first stint was less than a minute or two long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Teams with plenty A1 riders on show for a brief look through Instagram. Fair play plan to all, mad event .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just arrived home now, spectacularly hard but so glad I did it. Format is excellent really, race went really well.

As a very mediocre rider it was incredible to see the quality of the best 4 man teams and solo riders up close. Shared a garage with one of the solo riders who basically didn't stop for the full 24 hours, some character. Obviously amazing to see the UCD team zip around for 24 hours like they're on rails.

For myself, my team managed somewhere around 669km combined, which I'm delighted with. I contributed something like 150km which I'm also very pleased with. Great achievement that an event can be organized which happily accommodates slower folk like me and the mad men who won their categories.

Few little kinks to be ironed out for next time, and also the weather was horrific

yeah, a chap i know was doing it and said the weather really was a struggle, said a few of the inclines were right into the wind.

how easy is it to get into a rhythm at mondello, or do all the twists and turns make that difficult?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Yeah the start/finish straight and the drag up from Tarzan were right into the wind, I'm sure i wasn't the only one blown about by crosswinds too. Very hard weather-wise.

I thought it was fine getting into a rhythm, IMO it's a quite nice circuit. Maybe different for people going a bit quicker than me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dunno how accurate it is, but a couple of the segments on strava show 0.5% and 0.7% inclines. they probably feel like three times that into a headwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭eeimcaw

Did the event as a 3 man team as one of the lads got injured beforehand.

Was a brilliantly organised event. Garage were great base for the day and having hot food in the cafe for the 24hours was very handy.

Steward were very friendly and they didn't go to town enforcing rules on pitlanes etc. Only seen one fella puncture during the event and was talking to one of the stewards and was only 2 small incidents reported and nothing serious. Had any amount of bottled water available for the teams to take throughout the event.

Track itself is nice and wide so felt very safe and could sweep around most corners by just letting off the cadence except for the final corner into the finishing straight. Was no rules on passing so could pass on either side but that was because the track is so wide and coming out of corners you drift across the road. Surface is good but wasn't as smooth as i thought it would be but guess with cars speed around there is bound to be plenty of wear and tear.

The rain did put a dampener on the event, started raining about 19:00 and rained heavy till 11/12 and then mist till nearly 6/7 in the morning. Was great buzz around the pitlane before the rain came in. Luckily it never got cold, was about 12 degrees during the night.

First time doing such on event and team finished 19th overall so happy with that.

All credit to the solo riders, machines!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Searched for results to see what sort of distances people/teams had clocked.

Very impressive results from the solo riders, 1st place with 199 laps of 3.5km totaling just under 700km or over an average of 29km/h, wow. Top 3 all over 190 laps so very tight at the top.

One 8 man team only got in 27 laps or 94km, any idea what happened there as even if one or two riders took ill/injured surely they had enough cyclists to continue especially given the hefty entrance fee.

there are some teams not listed on that page - a chap i know was in the pace makers who finished on 179 laps but aren't listed.

Yeah the timing is something that needs to be tweaked for next time I think - riders were issued with paper numbers with a chip inside, and after 24 hours of rain and wind a lot of them disintegrated or could have been lost during a jersey change. Also obvious that a fair few laps weren't counted, you can see from the timings that some of the laps marked in red are exactly the length of two laps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Did this event solo and really enjoyed it. Great camaraderie amongst riders and crew.there were some solo riders unsupported too so massive respect. Tough conditions overnight added to the challenge for everyone. Heard they will do it again in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Did this as part of an 8 person team but with only 6 riders, tried to put it up to UCD as long as we could but after about hour 6 they started to pull away, they had some seriously strong riders. We ended up finishing 2nd overall so have to be happy with that. There were some issues with a few laps missing but once we could produce a file as proof of any discrepancy it was sorted quickly. Overall it was a brilliant event and if its on next year we'll be back.

Hats off to everyone that competed but I have to admit to being seriously impressed by the solo riders, 24 hours in that weather and looking at the same scenery 100's of times takes a special kind of madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Twofastwheels

We did this with 3 teams in the 8 person event. Great weekend and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Even the rain did not dampen our spirits. Some serious pace by some of the teams. A big shout out to all the solo cyclists. Fair paly to everyone who took part. A great event for finishing off the year before winter sets in. It really brought us together as a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fugs!!

Its back for 2022 except this time its in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Into single digit weeks until this years event. Anyone else on here going for the first time or indeed returning?

what lights setup did people use before? I’m doing it solo and don’t want to be caught short on battery life.

I'll be there as part of a 4 person team but I did it solo last year, for lights I had a Lezyne Mega drive 1800i and 2 infinite battery packs

https://ride.lezyne.com/products/infinite-light-power-pack

https://ride.lezyne.com/products/mega-drive-1800i

I was running the light a couple of clicks down off full power and got almost all the night house out of it and one battery. It's probably more light than you absolutely need but nice to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Glad doing it solo hasn't put you off coming back. That's always a good sign 🤣

I have a Moon Meteor Storm Pro which I could buy some spare batteries for but comparing it to the Lezyne on the Road.cc comparison pictures it looks night and day. Might wait until after the first test day in May to see if what I have is enough or I need more light. Don't want to run it too close to order something and test it out.

Edit: scratch that just realized the case of my light is broken so need a new one anyway.

I would have been running the Lezyne at the 600 lumen setting which is fine really on a track with no real hazards and cones setup into the corners, you won't be flat out anyway. Battery life is the thing.

I suffered badly last year, you know these things will be tough but I hit a wall very early and went well off the pace I expected, I just didn't want to DNF so kept rolling slowly. I think it was the heat and wind, I only started to feel OK when the rain came at 6AM….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

I’m returning to do it solo again this year. Did it solo the first time it was on so hopefully better conditions this year.
    used a volt 1200 on low power and got me through the night on low power. It was also dark longer as the event was in September.
    best of luck

used a power pack in a small top tube bag to keep the garmin charged up as it won’t last the 24hrs

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/headlights/HL-EL1000RC/

• Advertisement
Advertisement