Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the one living person that you admire the most?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Probably Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger. Super smart, incredible dedication and belief, not much of an actor but is so great at the same time. Smokes cigars and eats Green Berets for breakfast.

All round legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Liam Neeson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭its_steve116

KungPao wrote: »
    Probably Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger. Super smart, incredible dedication and belief, not much of an actor but is so great at the same time. Smokes cigars and eats Green Berets for breakfast.

All round legend.

He's a good role model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Jeff Bezos. The fact he could build a company so big in ~25 years is very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Tony Houlihan

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    Liam Neeson

Really? Out of everyone in the world, Liam neeson?

Really? Out of everyone in the world, Liam neeson?

He will find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

My mother. Managing the family and a PhD at the same time. One of the most intelligent people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Fils wrote: »
    He will find you.

And kill you!

biko wrote: »
    My mother. Managing the family and a PhD at the same time. One of the most intelligent people I know.

Is that how you got a modding job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Covieland

Warren Buffet, great role model and teacher of investing, also donated billions to charity

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

My wife, 2 degrees and a PhD, published in several scientific journals and the most humble down to earth caring person I know, her thirst for knowledge and teaching is never ending and her work on environmental issues will hopefully pave the way for changes down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Covieland wrote: »
    Warren Buffet, great role model and teacher of investing, also donated billions to charity

I read he will give his children one million dollars each and that is it

As more money may ruin them

I know his son is a guitar player and tours in a band

Buffet seems a down to earth guy. Lives in the house he bought in the 1970´s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

My Dad. Every breath he takes seems to be for someone else.. I actually wish he cared more about himself.. I don't have words to describe how much I adore him - I am blessed..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Al Bundy

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I am a simple man, I see thumbs I click thumbs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Sister Stan or Peter Mc Verry.
    Can't decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭its_steve116

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

The tragedy of not being able to spell one's own hero's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

The responses are probably gonna be predictable, but

Bono!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

And then go around Belfast, looking for a black man to brutally beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Noam Chomsky - The greatest intellectual alive. Look at all these great quotes

“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....”

“The whole educational and professional training system is a very elaborate filter, which just weeds out people who are too independent, and who think for themselves, and who don't know how to be submissive, and so on -- because they're dysfunctional to the institutions.”

“I was never aware of any other option but to question everything.”

“All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.”

“I think it only makes sense to seek out and identify structures of authority, hierarchy, and domination in every aspect of life, and to challenge them; unless a justification for them can be given, they are illegitimate, and should be dismantled, to increase the scope of human freedom.”

“That's the whole point of good propaganda. You want to create a slogan that nobody's going to be against, and everybody's going to be for. Nobody knows what it means, because it doesn't mean anything.”

This next one is to do with how Bakunin predicted the rise of Bolshevism & quotes by Bakunin & Lenin that prove that.

“Bakunin's warnings about the "Red bureaucracy" that would institute "the worst of all despotic governments" were long before Lenin, and were directed against the followers of Mr. Marx. There were, in fact, followers of many different kinds; Pannekoek, Luxemburg, Mattick and others are very far from Lenin, and their views often converge with elements of anarcho-syndicaIism. Korsch and others wrote sympathetically of the anarchist revolution in Spain, in fact. There are continuities from Marx to Lenin, but there are also continuities to Marxists who were harshly critical of Lenin and Bolshevism. Teodor Shanin's work in the past years on Marx's later attitudes towards peasant revolution is also relevant here. I'm far from being a Marx scholar, and wouldn't venture any serious judgement on which of these continuities reflects the "real Marx," if there even can be an answer to that question.”

“If you took the most ardent revolutionary, vested him in absolute power, within a year he would be worse than the Tsar himself.” ― Mikhail Bakunin

“Our party, like any other political party, strives for political supremacy for itself.”― Vladimir Lenin

Two of my Indian Colleagues have named their first born "Liam". I ask you, you admire certain people but who of you would go that far? If not, you're just fakin'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Clint Eastwood, 91 and still working.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Me moth. ICU doctor, works her arse off and always has, ridiculously long shifts at times, never complains.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cdemess

Santa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Robert Zimmerman, aka Bob Dylan.

Some of his songs are just pure genius.

Advertisement