Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soon to be two under two!

• 26-06-2021 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice in particular around equipment but also any insights from parents who've been through similar. We've a toddler and a new baby on the way in a month. There will be 14 months between them.

I'm completely lost when it comes to choosing a double travel system. Does anyone have recommendations? We splashed out on the whole infababy system which is great but very heavy even before you put a baby in! And obviously it can't be adapted to a double. Not really sure if we should go for something more lightweight this time.

Also, we need to think about car seats. So toddler had just grown out of the one we have - we need a new one for her. I saw an infababy one suitable "from 9 months to 12 years". She's quite tall, so I'm not sure what's the best option. Also, can we use her current car seat for the newborn? I know the advice is not to use seconds, but is that just so that you don't inherit a seat that could have been in an accident already? As opposed to not being allowed re-use one even when you've had it from day one and can be confident that it hasn't been in a collision?

Similar question in terms of cot - we have a chicco side sleeper we used for toddler for ten weeks. So can we just get a new mattress? She's in her big cot now obviously. I want to avoid Moses basket etc as we have a dog and I worry about the danger of it tipping. Part of me just wants to go straight to big cot for the newborn. My toddler decided against the side sleeper very young and she was a long baby who flipped to her tummy at 3 months, which posed a danger in the chicco as it was limited on space.

I combination fed last time and plan to do the same again, so am already set up with pumps and we invested in lovely mam glass bottleware so will just be getting replacement teats.

Clothes are obviously fine!

Not trying to be cheap but just want to take a sensible approach.

Also thinking about transitioning to cloth nappies as I feel bad about the amount of disposables we use but is this madness in terms of adding to our workload with two under two?

My toddler still sleeps in my room and I don't want to feel like I'm kicking her out when newborn arrives. Will it work with them both sleeping in the same room? We have the space but not sure of the logistics!

And if anyone has any general advice I would greatly appreciate it!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Congratulations! I had have a 20 month gap between mine and reused so much.
    I think part of not using a preowned carseat is that the plastic starts to degrade after 5 years I think (check with your particular brand), so you should be fine to use yours. I also reused my co sleeper because it wasn't used a huge amount (we bedshared with my first for the first 4 months), and again, knew the mattress was in good nick. I did cloth nappies for my first but didn't want to add that stress with two, but loads of people manage it.
    We live in a one bedroom house so have to share the room but if I had a choice I definitely would have moved my eldest son into his own room around the time his sister arrived. Even now at 2 and 3.5, bedtime is a nightmare because the 2 year old is a messed and the 3.5 year old is happy to go to sleep after a story and a cuddle, but I imagine if you had the option, you would move your eldest at some point!
    The first few months are hectic so if you can, devise a sleep plan with your partner so you can both get a decent sleep in the early months because your eldest will still need some semblance of normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The advice on car seats is regarding buying 2nd hand because it could have been dropped, in a crash etc. Reusing the one you have is fine. Car seats can last up to 10 years. If you want to get your oldest a new car seat look at car seats that are rearfacing until 25kg as rearfacing for as long as possible is the safest option and a lot of children max out on the 18kg ones too early. Axkid move, Minikid and Britax two way elite are the most common ones

My oldest was 2 and 3 months so a bit different but for me a baby carrier was a most with my 2nd. I would have been lost without it. I didn’t bother with double buggy but I hear that the pit and about nipper is a good option.

I used cloth from about 3 months to 12 months the 2nd time. I stopped when I went back to work because the washing was just too much on top of everything else. There’s a big learning curve with cloth but some great Facebook groups for advice and to buy 2nd hand to keep the cost down (and you can sell them on then after).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

In terms of equipment, you won’t need to buy too much at all. You can definitely use your car seat for baby. As above, I’d look at a 25kg seat for your older child. the one your looking at that’s advertised as being suitable up until age 12 is probably only harnessed until 18kg, and then used with the seat belt as a booster. if your little one is higher in centiles, the harness may well be outgrown too early.
    I used my co- sleeper for three babies. I changed the mattress only once, the first of my babies to sleep in it barely slept in it so I never changed the mattress- they’re not expensive though.
    I have an out n about nipper double (18 month gap), and couldn’t say enough good things about it. It was truly a great investment. Don’t worry too much about a travel system and clipping on the car seat, I honestly didn’t miss that at all. I have a baby carrier also, but I didn’t use it that much, I much preferred the double buggy, everyone is different! I also found that a chair for baby that was higher off the ground rather than a low down bouncer was the business

Also, if you decide against cloth nappies, you could consider even using cloth wipes. I bought them for my last baby and was so sorry I didn’t switch earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Just to chime in, I've a 6 week old and a 16 month old. 15 month age gap to the day.

I don't have any answers because I'm still trying to work it all out! Won't lie, it's been very hard. The older girl was very put out with arrival of the new. She has been in her own room since 6 months old and loves her cot and more often than not is delighted to go to bed after a certain routine is followed so I can't imagine how it'd work with the two of them in the one room. It simply wouldn't for us I think. I don't know how you'd manage it to be honest.

"Baby jogger city select double" is what we have now. We have a car seat adapter, the maxi cosi sits on top with the newborn and the toddler at the front sitting out. We find it very good.

CSTL214-3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Get a good sling. I did find it worth it. Making dinner in the evenings when number 2 needs a nap and number 1 is..well...a toddler?? Sling is brilliant for that.Sometimes the younger needs holding and the older needs snacks/feeding/whatever - the sling works for those situations.

Reuse your car seat and yes, I would remove number 1 from the bedroom myself. You aren't booting them out, mine all moved to their rooms between 6 and 8 months. It's natural and to be honest, it will save your sanity. 21 months between my first two and it is a long hard exhausting slog, so anything that will make it that little bit easier on you - and I mean specifically you! - do it.

Double buggy, we have had an Uppababy Vista for 3 kids, all needing doubles along the way. It is heavy but a great buggy. Alternately the Out and About Nipper double is good too. The Uppababy is expensive, but don't be afraid to check out Donedeal and the like, as you can get them in excellent condition there. We got our Out and About on Donedeal and it was basically perfect for half the price.

Bear in mind that child number 2 has a built-in entertainment system - the first child.:D My second and third kids suffered the worst cases of FOMO - napping in carseats or on buggy walks was unheard of, for fear the the older kids might be doing something that the younger would miss out on seeing. Don't assume you need a clip-in carseat or similar, if you can't get one to fit a buggy, because you may never need to do a transfer like that. I'd say the number of times my third child slept in the car or carseat or buggy is in very, very low double digits and certainly hasn't happened since he was about 4 months old (he's 3 now). He sleeps in his cot or not at all.

Cloth wipes are a really good recommendation, I only became aware of them too late on my third and was sorry I hadn't heard of them before then.

Cook and freeze loads of food now :). Get some food or meal vouchers if you can, with a view to using when no. 2 arrives (somebody else here had names for companies who do meal boxes that are really good, will see if I can find them). Find the name and number of the local laundry place and do not feel one bit bad about sending out loads of laundry for a few weeks, and even better if you can, find a cleaner who might come in and do a few cleaning sessions for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I only have one child but I couldn't imagine anything more stressful than having a 14 month old and a newborn in the one room at night. I would move your first out ASAP and not wait until your second is here. How old is your first now? I moved my girl at 7 months and she was great.

Also a sling, if I had another I would use one 100%, only way to have use of your hands to cook, play with your toddler and still comfort your baby.

Carseat perfectly fine to reuse within the family. Get a new mattress for the cot and good to go. For the new Carseat I would also recommend a 25kg rear facing seat like the Move which is a great price point.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I had a small age gap between my first two. I bought and re-sold a lot of double buggies because so many just weren't working for us. In the end, we found the out n about nipper the best by a country mile.

Re car seats... have you considered whether you want to keep both kids rear facing for as long as possible? Resesrch this first (rear facing until six is a LOT safer) and then you can decide on car seats from there.

I also had both of them in cloth. It was a lot of washing but less than you would think. There are some great Facebook groups you can join. Also the cloth nappy library do loans which are great because you can try out a range of different nappies to see what works for you. I'm expecting again in August and have a six week newborn loan booked.

We have always used the same cot and Co sleeper, just changed the mattress. You've reminded me to order a new mattress now!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I also had two under two but a bigger gap than you - Number 1 was closer to two when Number 2 arrived.

Car seat will be fine to reuse - most of them you can wash the fabrics if they need it.

I have both of mine in cloth nappies, I put the baby in them as soon as we got home from hospital but I started them when my eldest was 6 weeks old.

I wouldn't recommend jumping straight into them along with the chaos that the baby will bring - they do take a bit of getting used to. Perhaps ease yourself in with your eldest and then when baby's a bit bigger switch her too. The birth to potty ones won't fit great for the first month or two anyway.

I honestly don't find the washing too bad with them. They need a long cycle so we put them on when we're going to bed every second day. And I often tumble dry them and they're still going strong after over two and a half years.

Cloth wipes are a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. They do a way better job, so much cheaper and better for the environment. There are loads of different brands available, you'll even get them in Boots or Tesco.

Sling was an absolute must for me - I had used it plenty with Number 1 but it became essential with Number 2. Important to have my hands free to grab her when necessary. We actually ended up buying a second one so we could carry one child each when we're all together.

We used the same cot, just bought a new mattress for the small crib. And we put our bigger girl into a bed before we needed the bigger cot for the little one.

I have to be honest I think it would be hard work having them both in the one room if it is avoidable. I would probably move your eldest out sooner rather than later so that there's a wash out period before baby arrives and she doesn't feel she's being displaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Wow some really good advice thank you.

We had planned to move her out around the 6 month mark but to be honest I kind of just liked having her close to me especially for nursing it made it easier (we did combination til 8 months). And she does her ten hours straight (when teeth aren't causing a problem) so it's just worked. I said it to PHN at her last check and she just said go with whatever feels right, there are no rules as such. Good point though about doing it now and not waiting until she has more upheaval.

I think I've seen the re-usable wipes in Tesco alright. Might stock up on some of those. :)

• Advertisement

Re car seats... have you considered whether you want to keep both kids rear facing for as long as possible? Resesrch this first (rear facing until six is a LOT safer) and then you can decide on car seats from there.

I'll be honest I hadn't even thought about it but good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Prepare as much as you can in advance and that does mean moving number one to her own room before she feels pushed out.
    Make an adventure of it and allow her to choose colours and bed clothes. She probably has favourite toys for bed and make a story about them wanting their own room with her away from the adults so they can have their own space.

Cloth nappies are great but hold off until you have some sort of routine going. Don't do anything to add to your work load or stress.

The sling is great and allows you to deal with both but be sure to have one to one time with the eldest while baby naps. You could join her in her room for stories or even share a nap too.

Take any help you can and give specific answers if someone asks if they can help. Hanging out washing, preparing for the evening meal. shopping, taking one or both babies for a walk or for the afternoon.

I know from your other posts that you may not get much family help but use friends and neighbours. Now that most people are vaccinated you can be more assured of accepting help.

Get every minute of rest and sleep you can, keep the house clean enough to be safe but don't fuss about tidyness or a bit of chaos.

And enjoy the babies. They are fun in between all the work.

Thank you WW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I had a 15 month gap with my first.
    I kept the older one in childcare. I was lucky to be fully paid on maternity leave but if you can manage any sort of regular child care I would highly recommend it.
    I bought very little apart from a double buggy. Loved my Bugaboo donkey, we used it for years, then again for our third child and now my sister is using it. It's a workhorse and it takes up loads of room but I would buy it again, but try to get it second hand.

My oldest barely notice the arrival of her brother and there was no jealousy or issues with sleep.

Had two in cloth from when the baby was about 6 weeks, again no issues at all, I was home anyway so an extra wash or so was no big deal.

The hardest bit was having an easy baby first time around so I expected number 2 to be the same. He wasn't. And I had some very down periods emotionally which I didn't expect at all. It was rough for me mentally for the first 3 months or so, after that it was grand.

ETA for the third I got a hand me down sling and it was amazing. I loved it and used it until he was nearly two. So a good sling can be a lifesaver. I never got to grips with one on the first two.

Thanks Lazygal. This is something I worry about tbh. Our first baby has more or less been a dream. Went the night from very early, very easy going and happy little girl. Switched between boob and bottle, no nappy rash, no colic, was doing ten hours at a few months. I often joked to my fiancé that we'd have to "pay" for the easy time we had if we ever had a second! :D

I suffered with depression and anxiety in the past and this was heightened during my first pregnancy and has been almost unbearable throughout this one (though oddly in between I was ok, when you'd normally be on the lookout for PND). I really don't deal well with sleep deprivation over time and we are thinking of maybe getting a night nanny one night a week, to have a guaranteed "night off" (which would just be sleep I guess!) I haven't had my girl in crèche as we were WFH with alternating shifts, and family were close by to mind her. But I can see now it would have been a good routine to get her into. Would probably be too late in the day now and would be just too many changes for her at once. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If you could find a minder locally who could take her for a couple of mornings that might be a good option. So she's in a home environment. I wouldn't have coped without some childcare. It was an investment in my sanity.
    Looking back, I would have asked for more help with my mental health after the second was born. I had some very dark days and I think part of it was that he just wasn't an easy baby, even though I hadn't realised it I had thought it would just be like the first one all over again.

One thing I have always done with babies is no matter how crap the day was before I went to bed I would pack the changing bag and leave it beside the door. So even if I had a chaotic breakfast or morning, I could head out knowing I was all set for leaving the house. It saved me many a day where if I'd had to get organised I wouldn't have left the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Re double buggies, we have an Out and About which is so light, very easy to manoeuvre with one hand, really big hood for piling on coats/ scooters etc when the toddler is a bit more active. Shopping basket is sold separately and it's not great but its fine for a few bits. The only major down side is that we have gotten lots of punctures which is a nightmare, but the air filled tyres are what make it so light to handle. We bought it second hand on Adverts in perfect condition and it gets used for at least an hour every single day, I'd be lost without it.

I have a Close Caboo sling which baby 2 lived in for the first couple of months. There's a great Facebook page called Babywearing Ireland where you can ask for advice, submit photos for a fit check and there's also a sling library that you can borrow from for a small fee.

As others have said, I would also recommend moving your little one out of your bedroom now if you can. The sooner the better as you don't want to have that big adjustment coinciding too closely with baby's arrival.

I know you posted specifically about equipment etc, but I just wanted to throw in a suggestion about when baby comes home, if you don't mind. Our two actually met in the car as we picked up the toddler from my parents on the way home from the hospital. I've read lots of recommendations that it's a good idea to have the new baby out of your arms when they first meet, in the pram or car seat maybe, just so the toddler doesn't feel as if they're being replaced etc. We gave our daughter a present (teaset) from the baby which is often recommended by more experienced parents!she played with it for about an hour while we got settled back into the house.

We have two years between ours and it is full on but you'll be into a great routine before you know it and they'll be such good pals growing up.

That's a really good idea CashQ. I hadn't actually thought about how the first meeting would go, which is funny because on my first I had it all planned that she wouldn't be in my arms when my dog first met her, and there'd be a toy for the dog :D thankfully they're best pals now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is so bad that I cannot remember months wise what was between ours but out little lady was just under 2 when we had the youngest.. We have a dog and cat too and to be honest they never really paid much attention to the kids, one thing for sure is never let the kids go near them with food in their hand (unless you are with them etc) but have to say it was not that bad. First little lady was a dream too slept great, but we did have a few weeks of restlessness with them both, those days or nights that seem like they have been going on forever but in reality it had just been a few days.. Just remember you and ye can do this keep telling yourself that... And go with whatever works for you!!..

Regards car seats, we borrowed a maxi cozi for both but when the little fella arrived we had the Joie Stages for herself and the maxi cozi for him. Then id say maybe within four months we switched him to the Joie Stages and had no issues with two of them in the back seat. We did get a different car alright but they both would have fitted in the old car a megane...Got a good mirror for the back so we could see him.

With the buggy, I was thinking yep we will be walking more but nope. Unless you go walking now like mad I would wait and see how things play out and then look at double systems etc. Had a ergo for the baby, and used the buggy for the toddler but she would not use it for long. Got a buggy board second hand and used it id say twice...

Just think what will work for ye, if you have a stairs maybe have a bassinet (if your buggy has one to go with it) and use that downstairs for naps and then well up to ye about the proper bed.

Thanks Milly. Yes food is definitely one to watch. We feed the dog outside the room because guaranteed little toddler will walk over to see what's on the plate!

We were just saying that about the double buggy, that we might wait. We hardly used the first buggy for the first few months. Maybe because of lockdown but we just didn't really have time to go anywhere and sure how will we have the time with two :D

I'm looking at car seats now for the toddler, and haven't a clue. She's quite tall. We will use her old one for the newborn. I was looking at infababy ones that are apparently suitable up to 12.

• Advertisement

Oh I caught our little one sharing with the dog a few days ago I was all this is loverly but nooo.... :)... Not too sure about the Infababy seats now, but one thing we did find great for comparison purposes was Which. Thats kinda how we picked our car seat, they do have some great advice you could sign up for a month and then cancel once you do not need it...I know a friend of ours their kids is quite tall (ours not so much) and they had the Joie Stages also, think they swooped out to a booster seat with back etc around 3 when she got too tall for the Joie. Keep an eye on Halfords for deals they were cheaper than Smyths in the end.

The buggy is a funny one really, to me unless you have twins or the older kid loves the buggy altogether they are not that good. The styles too the one at the back one in front are very heavy to push,then the side by side are hard to fit in through doors, those ones that you pop one underneath always remind me of cars that have skirting on them I cannot see how the baby in the bottom does not get hurt at some stage..

There is so much stuff out there today it is hard to stop yourself sometimes and say no.. If you were looking for a better nappy too for the environment Bamboo Nature nappies are mighty on all sides.. Looked into the cloth nappies too as the nappies really are just a mountain of waste but could not see myself having the time for it... A nice alternative to wipes too that you do not have to wash (still waste but not as bad) a bottle filled with water and some coconut oil, bit of lavender and then use cotton pleats Instead of wipes

I'm surprised to see people not using their buggies! Yesterday we went out for 90mins in the morning and then 2 hours in the afternoon. My toddler loves to use her scooter but she gets tired and hungry so needs a rest in the pram after a time. I couldn't handle being stuck indoors or driving everywhere. I find they're both cranky after breakfast; baby needs a nap and toddler needs to burn off energy. Out the door by 10am at the latest and my sanity is somewhat intact. You may find that you need the walks more when the two of them are on the go!

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see people not using their buggies! Yesterday we went out for 90mins in the morning and then 2 hours in the afternoon. My toddler loves to use her scooter but she gets tired and hungry so needs a rest in the pram after a time. I couldn't handle being stuck indoors or driving everywhere. I find they're both cranky after breakfast; baby needs a nap and toddler needs to burn off energy. Out the door by 10am at the latest and my sanity is somewhat intact. You may find that you need the walks more when the two of them are on the go!

Same. The only way I survived my small age gap was to be out a LOT. Toddler would be a nightmare cooped up in the house all day, and getting out meant baby would sleep with the motion and I could talk to adults which was very important for my own sanity!!! We'd be out every morning, home for toddler nap, then out again in afternoon.

That said, I've bought a new single pram chassis for #3 and couldn't bring myself to spend another €250 for a bassinet because it is my last baby and she will have grown out of it by 4 or 5 months! So gonna wing it between babywearing, car seat, and getting the big double buggy out which lies flat for newborn.

Cash_Q wrote: »

Aw, we aren't stuck indoors at all. We've a lovely back garden and we've set it up with her swing, outdoor furniture etc. And with the nice weather we've been spending time there with her. We've even a splash pool she got for her birthday that she loves, though I'm in constant panic mode watching her in it! :D she absolutely hates the car, she gets so stressed in it, that we tend to avoid going out all together unless we have to..plus, where we live it's tiny country roads, so having to stick the buggy to the ditch every time someone speeds past us is less than fun. So, we don't have the option to just leave with the buggy and not drive, particularly at weekends when traffic is heavy. Actually that was a big concern I had about a twin buggy. A side by side would be positively dangerous where we live! :(

A friend recommended axkid seats, apparently they score high on safety. I'm going to research them a little today. Sometimes there can be so much choice it's just overwhelming.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Aw, we aren't stuck indoors at all. We've a lovely back garden and we've set it up with her swing, outdoor furniture etc. And with the nice weather we've been spending time there with her. We've even a splash pool she got for her birthday that she loves, though I'm in constant panic mode watching her in it! :D she absolutely hates the car, she gets so stressed in it, that we tend to avoid going out all together unless we have to..plus, where we live it's tiny country roads, so having to stick the buggy to the ditch every time someone speeds past us is less than fun. So, we don't have the option to just leave with the buggy and not drive, particularly at weekends when traffic is heavy. Actually that was a big concern I had about a twin buggy. A side by side would be positively dangerous where we live! :(

A friend recommended axkid seats, apparently they score high on safety. I'm going to research them a little today. Sometimes there can be so much choice it's just overwhelming.

Axkid is awesome. They are extended rear facing so extremely safe. They are Swedish plus tested which is an enhanced safety standard. We have two of them for my 2 and 4 year old. Baby will go into one too when she is around 1. Theyre also very narrow - 44cm - so fit well I most cars. They're pricey but they're super safe and kids can stay in them until they're six so work out good value overall IMO.

You should check out the extended rear facing group on Facebook. Lots of super knowledgeable people on there and you'll get great advice.

Another thumbs up for axkid here, they’re great seats. Definitely worth the price tag! We definitely would never have made it to six with any of ours in them, but still a Best Buy!

Same really we were not stuck indoors will say not a hope at being out the door for 10am we are blessed the kids are not morning kids... Regards the buggy herself just never really used it that much bar to sleep in it, if anything. If we were out she would walk, think some kids just like the buggies or they dont..

The price of the cozis and bassinets are mad. Hit a gem when we got our system I think for 150 at the time, inc everything it was in perfect condition..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We stuck with front facing (eldest was born in 2014 and there was little to no choice on rear facing then to be honest), but our ridiculously big 3 year old is currently in a Britax Romer Evolva - it starts as a 5 point harness and then moves to a booster seat for a bigger child, you can remove the straps and use it with a regular seatbelt. He's been in it since he moved out of his Maxicosi as a baby, and it was also used for our second child. Handy seat with a good safety rating. He's 20kg now, so plenty more use for him in it.

Have to have a buggy ourselves here too, but I can understand not wanting to walk it on the side of a small country road. That being said, the second seat is handy even just if you need to pop to shops or anything, to tie a toddler into (very hard to manage a buggy in one hand and a bolting toddler with the other hand if you need to run into a shop for something). Also needed for walks when the older is tired and wants to sit.

That's funny Milly, mine are usually standing at the front door between 9 and 9.30 asking where are we going today!!!

That said, I've bought a new single pram chassis for #3 and couldn't bring myself to spend another €250 for a bassinet because it is my last baby and she will have grown out of it by 4 or 5 months! So gonna wing it between babywearing, car seat, and getting the big double buggy out which lies flat for newborn.

Ah congratulations on no.3! We were in the Oct 2018 thread together although my girl came in September, I think she was the first on that thread!

We didn't bother with a bassinet for no.2, we just used the Out and About laid flat with a Diono cuddlesoft insert for the first few weeks. He was mostly in the sling anyway when we weren't out with the pram!

You'll have your hands full with the 3, best of luck!

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote:
    Aw, we aren't stuck indoors at all. We've a lovely back garden and we've set it up with her swing, outdoor furniture etc. And with the nice weather we've been spending time there with her. We've even a splash pool she got for her birthday that she loves, though I'm in constant panic mode watching her in it! she absolutely hates the car, she gets so stressed in it, that we tend to avoid going out all together unless we have to..plus, where we live it's tiny country roads, so having to stick the buggy to the ditch every time someone speeds past us is less than fun. So, we don't have the option to just leave with the buggy and not drive, particularly at weekends when traffic is heavy. Actually that was a big concern I had about a twin buggy. A side by side would be positively dangerous where we live!

That's totally understandable, country roads are a different story!

I find the back garden great too but they get fed up quickly, we have a little climber/slide thing, a water table and a paddling pool but I definitely need to pick up some more bits for the garden. Hard to know what would keep the baby entertained/contained as he is almost 10 months so crawling everywhere and hates being held but he's not really ready for much else.

Advertisement