Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed prices on Chrono24

Options
  • 26-06-2021 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is any movement on fixed prices on Chrono24? I'm looking at a new/unworn Seamaster 300m and the price is definitely the lowest I've seen compared to other sellers but still, I'd like to see if I could shave a few more quid off.

I could ask (I probably will) but I don't want to annoy the seller either. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You can try, but if it's the watch you want at a fair price I wouldn't try too hard. But the facility is there to make an offer, the one watch I got there was open to offers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭scwazrh

There’s a dealer on Chrono24 from cork that I only noticed this week .has 1000 watches listed and seamasters on bracelet at €3960 & free shipping .I haven’t seen better prices than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

Link to cork dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

scwazrh wrote: »
    There’s a dealer on Chrono24 from cork that I only noticed this week .has 1000 watches listed and seamasters on bracelet at €3960 & free shipping .I haven’t seen better prices than that.

All stock photos, no feedback, all easy to get models, all new....this is fishing. They dont have the watches and will source only when you buy. Its common practice on Chrono from new dealers, but you can end up waiting ages for a watch, of them not being able to fulfill the deal. Or they bait and switch to another model.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/dealer/watchapproach/index.htm

Fitz II wrote: »
    . They dont have the watches and will source only when you buy. Its common practice on Chrono from new dealers, but you can end up waiting ages for a watch, of them not being able to fulfill the deal.

Yeah had that with a few dealers on chrono

On a separate note Fitz , what’s the safest way to pay an overseas dealer for a watch ? The purchase isnt through chrono .

• Advertisement

Yeah had that with a few dealers on chrono

On a separate note Fitz , what’s the safest way to pay an overseas dealer for a watch ? The purchase isnt through chrono .

Paypal but to protect yourself you need to pay fees, otherwise a credit card

If you pay with credit card and it doesn’t arrive , do you have comeback with card provider?

If you pay with credit card and it doesn’t arrive , do you have comeback with card provider?

You can always do a recall on the payment, and so long as you use a euro or two in credit the card has insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is a very important point.
    Don't do friends and family unless you know the other person and trust them implicitly.

Goods and services adds 3.5% to the transaction and it does offer PayPal protection.
    Worth it if CC payment isn't an option IMO.

so long as you use a euro or two in credit the card has insurance.

Can you explain ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Can you explain ?

I think what Fitz means, is that if you pay even €1 of the total price of the purchase on a CC that the entire value of the item is covered by your CC.

Can you explain ?

THe insurance on purchases only works if you are using credit on the credit card. Sometimes I load a card up before using it if my limit is lower than the purchase price. However I always make sure to have 5 or 10 euros unto the red on the card so the purchase is insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

THe insurance on purchases only works if you are using credit on the credit card. Sometimes I load a card up before using it if my limit is lower than the purchase price. However I always make sure to have 5 or 10 euros unto the red on the card so the purchase is insured.

Did not know that!

Wasn't aware of that , good to know , thanks.
    The watch I’m looking at is advertised €800 cheaper on the dealers Instagram than it is on chrono , so trying to weigh up is the saving worth it for the less safe purchase away from chrono.

Wasn't aware of that , good to know , thanks.
    The watch I’m looking at is advertised €800 cheaper on the dealers Instagram than it is on chrono , so trying to weigh up is the saving worth it for the less safe purchase away from chrono.

If the reviews on chrono are good I would feel happy enough. Dont be a tease, what watch is it?

If the reviews on chrono are good I would feel happy enough. Dont be a tease, what watch is it?

Yeah plenty of good chrono reviews .I’ve been procrastinating over a 41mm sub for the last few months but ready to move on one now

Cant go wrong on a sub and a 2020/21 in warranty is a safe bet really. Proper job.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but has anyone used this crowd?

I tried to use them at the time of that post and as Fitz said it’s a bait and switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

I bought a Seamaster through them a couple of years ago with no problems.

It took about a month to arrive as I wanted the rubber strap and the bracelet. The payment was made to Chrono24 and held in escrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

4-5 weeks for anything I asked them about. No stock.

Payment through Chrono24 is a safety net I like.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers guys, Been reading mixed reviews mostly around the wait time, but they do seem to come good in the end..

Good point on using the escrow payment, good protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Read more than a few instances of negativity regarding chrono. If buyer receives watch and has an issue that seller disagrees with it and no way forward is forthcoming it seems chrono just hangs onto the funds until one side caves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I had a decent experience where I bought a vintage watch that the dealer seller described as serviced. When it arrive, it clearly wasn't, and pictures proved it.

I got a local quote for a service and C24 refunded the full cost of it.

Resolved with one email and two phone calls.

C24 were extremely responsive and helpful.

When you say c24 paid did they pay from the money you had in limbo/escrow as payment for the watch?

Either way a good outcome!

I was refunded from C24 for the cost of the service.

I wonder was that at the expense of the seller? Ie: they (c24) subtracted that amount from your funds held in escrow and gave yer man the balance...?

One common aspect I see on negative feedback re c24 is private sellers.

That I don't know

But the three times I've sold on C24, there were no issues, so funds were released in full.

I've bought only once, privately from a French fella and thankfully it was as new as described.

Im open to correction but from my reading on it if it goes pair shaped private it's up to ye to sort if a disagreement is holding up the release of escrow. The instance I read that was a bit of an eye opener was the watch was supposedly not as described with evidence of water ingress. Seller would not accept it back as someone had been in the works as far as he was concerned so neither would budge. Buyer had a watch needing a full strip as far as he was concerned and chrono were having nothing to do with and just sat on the funds indefinitely.

• Advertisement

Fortunately, having not been in that situation, but having looked up what the story was when I got into bother, and the escrow service is supposed to facilitate active mediation from Chrono24 to find an amicable solution.

Now, what that means in practice or from case to case may vary, but generally, I've not heard bad things.

Advertisement