Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newsreader Danny Keown RTE

Options
  • 26-06-2021 5:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭

I think that's his name. Reads the news in the middle of the night and very early in the morning.( When few are listening) Anyone know how old he is? How can you pass the newsreaders' exam if you struggle with basic reading and projecting your voice? It's like listening to a 10 year old struggling with a basic text. Just sounds so off. How did he become a newsreader? He's incredibly bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

bobbyss wrote: »
    I think that's his name. Reads the news in the middle of the night and very early in the morning.( When few are listening) Anyone know how old he is? How can you pass the newsreaders' exam if you struggle with basic reading and projecting your voice? It's like listening to a 10 year old struggling with a basic text. Just sounds so off. How did he become a newsreader? He's incredibly bad.

How did Lottie ryan get where she is? Nepotism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭bobbyss

How did Lottie ryan get where she is? Nepotism

I get that. But yer man?

He is Claire Byrne's nephew & he is around 23-25 years of age

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

He is Claire Byrne's nephew & he is around 23-25 years of age

This is crazy if true

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

I've heard him numerous times.

He's awful. If any of those reports were used as a college assignment it wouldn't do very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭bobbyss

He's awful. If any of those reports were used as a college assignment it wouldn't do very well

Absolutely. Everything about his delivery is dreadful. At least, AT LEAST I don't think he would say: news again at tree.

But seriously, do RTE have open competitions for these jobs? How is it possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I've also heard an Oisin, can't remember the surname, but equally bad. Indistinct delivery, vaguely mid-Atlantic accent and trouble with the "th" sound. Occasionally on for the midnight news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I just listened back on the player and yeah pretty bad stuff. He does sound like a young fella on work experience...maybe that's how RTE works these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just out of curiosity what time was he on this morning?

I’ll have a listen back on the app

iora_rua wrote: »
    I've also heard an Oisin, can't remember the surname, but equally bad. Indistinct delivery, vaguely mid-Atlantic accent and trouble with the "th" sound. Occasionally on for the midnight news.

The "trouble" that you speak of is a very natural feature of Irish English pronunciation. The degree of "trouble" does vary from person to person, but even those who think they're pronouncing it 'correctly' (no such thing) are not quite there...myself included. But like I said, it's a perfectly natural feature of how we speak and shouldn't be seen as wrong or being somehow linguistically incapable.

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity what time was he on this morning?

I’ll have a listen back on the app

I think it was 2am...at the end of Late Date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Noel Fogarty chose his successor wisely.

Noel still reads the news overnights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭archfi

Is thsi the guy who does the weather on Morning ireland?
    Cos he's hugely crap.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

archfi wrote: »
    Is thsi the guy who does the weather on Morning ireland?
    Cos he's hugely crap.

One of those forecasters has a stammer and despite that, does a very good job

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cole wrote: »
    I just listened back on the player and yeah pretty bad stuff. He does sound like a young fella on work experience...maybe that's how RTE works these days.

Post a link, if you can please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not familiar with him, but have you heard that Siobhan Madigan that does the sport, she's comical altogether! Literally cannot read, when we're in the car and she comes in we all cheer when she eventually stumbles over whatever is written in front of her as we know it's gonna happen!

Now, if she has a problem with her eyesight or with dyslexia or something, then so be it, but she shouldn't have a gig on national radio actually reading then!

Only on RTE....

I think I've heard this guy you mention OP. Can't say I gave it too much thought, though.

He's 25, reading the news during a graveyard shift. Comments like "crap" are unfair I think. Give him a chance.
    Not familiar with him, but have you heard that Siobhan Madigan that does the sport, she's comical altogether! Literally cannot read, when we're in the car and she comes in we all cheer when she eventually stumbles over whatever is written in front of her as we know it's gonna happen!
    Literally cannot read?

That must be a very boring car journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Now, if she has a problem with her eyesight or with dyslexia or something, then so be it, but she shouldn't have a gig on national radio actually reading then!

Only on RTE....
    Siobhan promoted to soccer commentary duties during the euros. Covered some games during the week when two matches were taking place at the same time.
    Abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

With respect, it's the National broadcaster, not a training ground.

He may turn into a fine speaker given time, but not on RTE1, whatever time of the morning they consign him to.

Not familiar with him, but have you heard that Siobhan Madigan that does the sport, she's comical altogether! L

She sounds very bored and fed up reading bulletins, as well as showing off pronouncing foreign sports people and game locations.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Noel Fogarty chose his successor wisely.

Would Noel not give him tips. Has he ever watch or listened to a news bulletin before?

in terms of age and getting better :-

Grainne Seoige was just about to turn 23 when she present Nuacht TnaG in 1996, 2 years later just before turning 25 she presented TV3 main evening news.

A similar story for Eileen Dunne, Anne Doyle, Sharon Ni Bheolain (though she does stumble) etc I am sure there are men I could list also.

I blame news2day, WHERE.EVERY.PRESENTER.HAS.TO.TALK.LIKE.THEY.ARE.TALKING.TO.A.TWO.YEAR.OLD when even 2 years olds would be wondering what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

Isn't it great to be so good at speaking in public that you can come on here and laugh at a lad in his early 20s working the night shift on radio as his first gig and probably earning less than 30k a year.

Maybe some of the experts here would grace us and with a recording of themselves reading the newspapers and show the world how real experts do it. If nothing else the rest of us could do with a great laugh.

touts wrote: »
    Isn't it great to be so good at speaking in public that you can come on here and laugh at a lad in his early 20s working the night shift on radio as his first gig and probably earning less than 30k a year.

Maybe some of the experts here would grace us and with a recording of themselves reading the newspapers and show the world how real experts do it. If nothing else the rest of us could do with a great laugh.

In fairness posters are right in the sense that such standard would not have been allowed on any radio station 20-30 years ago, let alone on the national broadcaster.

touts wrote: »

Explain Grainne Seoige, Elieen Dunne, Sharon Ni Bheolain and so on?

Reading the news isn't the easiest thing in the world, and there are plenty of people in RTÉ who don't read the news, because they aren't good newsreaders, there are other jobs for them. He's a multimedia Journalist with the broadcaster he doesn't need to be in front of the mic.

If he does want to do that RTÉ should train him and others before they go on air.

Elmo wrote: »
    I blame news2day, WHERE.EVERY.PRESENTER.HAS.TO.TALK.LIKE.THEY.ARE.TALKING.TO.A.TWO.YEAR.OLD when even 2 years olds would be wondering what's going on.

Yeah I've seen bits of this programme a couple of times. I feel like even the kids watching this stuff feel patronised and are probably shouting "would ye ever feck off" at the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

How'd these rubbish newsreaders/presenters/commentators get these gigs anyway - Public auditions or nepotism & cronyism? Put your answer on a TV license and send it to Donnybrook D4.

Are these overnights bulletins broadcast from the RTE Radio / TV Centre or somewhere else such as an external news provider?

Are these overnights bulletins broadcast from the RTE Radio / TV Centre or somewhere else such as an external news provider?

RTÉ would not be allowed to use an external news provider for bulletins as is the case for independents. Union would be up in arms.

Not sure if they are coming from the Radio Centre or if it is home working, but it is still RTÉ.

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »
    The "trouble" that you speak of is a very natural feature of Irish English pronunciation. The degree of "trouble" does vary from person to person, but even those who think they're pronouncing it 'correctly' (no such thing) are not quite there...myself included. But like I said, it's a perfectly natural feature of how we speak and shouldn't be seen as wrong or being somehow linguistically incapable.

^ Dis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement