Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most blatant copyright infringement you’ve ever seen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

_Brian wrote: »
    Let’s look at a serious clever but devious one that is intended to trick people when buying products.

The good old CE mark people rely upon to show goods meet their European standards and so are safe. But the Chinese authorities ripped it off and put a China Export logo on goods.

https://images.app.goo.gl/NiFqEMYkEuDYmrHh9

Really think this is the worst as it covers so much trade, tricks people and has potentially safety implications as products likely meet no appropriate standards at all.

This isn't true. There is no such thing as a "China Export logo", there are just fraudsters slapping a CE mark on stuff that isn't CE approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

L1011 wrote: »
    This isn't true. There is no such thing as a "China Export logo", there are just fraudsters slapping a CE mark on stuff that isn't CE approved.

They’ve hijacked the CE Mark and put China Expert directly under it. Some silly attempt to stop fake goods from been seized I guess.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They’ve hijacked the CE Mark and put China Expert directly under it. Some silly attempt to stop fake goods from been seized I guess.

No, that hasn't happened either. None of this exists.

The whole "china export" thing appears to have been made up by someone online not able to understand that fraudsters do fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yet this says different:
    https://support.ce-check.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360008642600-How-To-Distinguish-A-Real-CE-Mark-From-A-Fake-Chinese-Export-Mark

There are two "ce" logos. One,the European conformance mark, and another similar one with slightly different spacing, which is similar, and almost certainly put on a product to infer at a glance that the product meets European regulations\certifications\qualifications.

It doesn't illegally use the European conformance CE logo, as that would be akin to putting gucci on a product that is not made by gucci,rather one which is similar enough to cause confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Big black crust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

kenmc wrote: »
    There are two "ce" logos. One,the European conformance mark, and another similar one with slightly different spacing, which is similar, and almost certainly put on a product to infer at a glance that the product meets European regulations\certifications\qualifications.

This is true, and no-one disputes that. There are Chinese manufacturers, distributors an exporters using a "CE" symbol that is close to, but not exactly the same as, the European CE compliance symbol. And they're doing this to fool unsuspecting consumers into thinking the product in question has legitimate CE certification.

But no-one in China has ever claimed that it's a "China Export" symbol. They haven't created an official program over there using a similar logo. The "China Export" term is a backronym that was applied to it by Western observers after the fraudulent symbol started to be used, but it doesn't mean that anyone who actually puts the symbol on products is claiming that this is what the letters mean.

Here's the European Commission's statement on it:

"The Commission is aware that there exists the misconception attributing CE marking the meaning ‘Chinese export’. The Commission is not aware of the existence of a ‘China export mark’ but considers that the mark the Honourable Member refers to constitute the CE marking as foreseen in the European legislation without, however, respecting the dimensions and proportions prescribed therein."

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/P-6-2007-5938-ASW_EN.html?redirect

Starfix model kits.

As night follows day "Starfix" don't give a flying f00k about the hobby

https://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/luft/fordhams109.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Avon8

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Supermacs Pat McDonagh won his legal case against McDonalds who were suiing for copyright infringement, specifically for the burger named 'Mighty Mac' and the name 'Supermacs'. Part of his defence in court on 'Supermac' was that it was his nickname as a child. This was, as Pat explained, due to him being so good at GAA football when he was a kid that all the other kids named him 'Supermac'.

The guy is some chancer, I dont believe that story for one second.

Having had sporadic dealings with him I can say with 100% certainty that he was ripping nothing off. The clue is in his name ffs. I'd actually be fairly certain he had no idea what McDonalds even was when he started his small town chipper. McDonalds had opened one a solitary restaurant in Dublin round the same time

McDonalds have tried to bully Supermacs outside of Ireland repeatedly by stopping them opening up in the UK, Australia etc because of the Mac at the end of the name. As if they have complete ownership of the letters MC and its variations. I'd say financially he regrets fighting them on either case but he's won both

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The music on this anti-piracy* ad was pirated by the music rights organisation themselves who when they lost the court case still tried to deduct a 33% cut of the fine on the basis they had collected that money for the composer.

So that's the video they ripped the p*ss out of on The IT Crowd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Thats a cheeky one. Just as an aside do facebook have the thumbs up copyright. They must

What's in a Zuckerberger?

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

What's in a Zuckerberger?

90% thumb meat. 5% face and 5% book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Avon8 wrote: »
    Having had sporadic dealings with him I can say with 100% certainty that he was ripping nothing off. The clue is in his name ffs. I'd actually be fairly certain he had no idea what McDonalds even was when he started his small town chipper. McDonalds had opened one a solitary restaurant in Dublin round the same time

McDonalds have tried to bully Supermacs outside of Ireland repeatedly by stopping them opening up in the UK, Australia etc because of the Mac at the end of the name. As if they have complete ownership of the letters MC and its variations. I'd say financially he regrets fighting them on either case but he's won both

Pity.

Would have loved McDonald's win that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

xa6zgw2ltf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Buckleys Bakery We are a family run bakery situated in the village of Cappawhite .Producing freshly baked crusty bread since 1920

The British Broadcasting Corporation Founded: 18 Oct 1922

:cool:

cuppa wrote: »
    Buckleys Bakery We are a family run bakery situated in the village of Cappawhite .Producing freshly baked crusty bread since 1920

The British Broadcasting Corporation Founded: 18 Oct 1922

:cool:

We've covered this. The potential trademark infringement isn't the use of the letters "BBC".

It's the use of the specific logo. Nobody is going to seriously suggest that Buckleys Bakery were using this logo in 1920, and that the British Broadcasting Corporation then ripped them off.

557067.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Having had sporadic dealings with him I can say with 100% certainty that he was ripping nothing off. The clue is in his name ffs.

Colour me convinced....on foot of this overwhelming evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,704 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We've covered this. The potential trademark infringement isn't the use of the letters "BBC".

It's the use of the specific logo. Nobody is going to seriously suggest that Buckleys Bakery were using this logo in 1920, and that the British Broadcasting Corporation then ripped them off.

557067.png

The BBC only registered protection of various tradmarks within the EU from the 1990's onwards. Brexit may or may not weaken their protection. But unless you have evidence, you cannot claim that Buckleys were not using their logo first.

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#basic/1+1+1+1/100+100+100+100/Bbc

The Beeb seem to want to claim whole variations of typefaces and colours for their three letters. I would expect an Irish court to uphold the rights of a trader in an EU member state over those of an organisation in a third country.

But unless you have evidence, you cannot claim that Buckleys were not using their logo first.

True, and I can’t prove the Loch Ness monster doesn’t exist or that Neil Armstrong actually walked ion the moon.

But it’s very, very, very, very unlikely that a tiny Irish bakery was using the exact logo of one of the biggest media organisations in the world before them. And then when the broadcasting corporation started using the logo of this tiny bakery all across the world, the tiny bakery didn’t do anything about it - even just capitalise in it for a bit of publicity. I mean very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very unlikely. And it’s much, much, much, much more likely that this tiny bakery saw the chance to be a little playful with their branding and co-opt the broadcaster’s famous logo, on account of their shared initials.

But yeah of course, there’s a chance. You cling to that chance, dxhound2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

... But unless you have evidence, you cannot claim that Buckleys were not using their logo first....
    I don't need any evidence to know that the bakery was definitely not using that logo of the three letters in the black squares before the BBC. Some things you just know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Here's one I've heard

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

g5rhpje.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Avon8

FFVII wrote: »
    Pity.

Would have loved McDonald's win that.

Better in the pockets of the investment funds that own McDonalds than sponsoring GAA teams or local projects in Ireland I suppose.

McDonagh may pay his staff fcuk all which is to his detriment and should be improved. They (himself plus wife) are very generous with both time and money in their local area though and beyond. A quick Google can tell you that. Separation of the businessman from the person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ZuM16

I have always liked this one:

bCVokQL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah and I agree with the court case outcome, McDonalds were just trying to bully him legally like they've always done as can be seen from the infamous McLibel trial.

Im just saying I dont believe for one minute that the Supermacs name came about because Pat was so good at gaelic football that all the other kids nicknamed him 'Supermac' as he claimed in court. The guy is a chancer, always has been. It was only around this time last year we were talking about him charging staff for uniforms and his food even if they didnt want to eat it.. He was literally profiteering off his already poorly paid staff and taking money out of their wages even if they didnt want to eat his fatty food every day at work.

He was also involved in another court case that specifically reduced the already low wages of his employees. And as has been pointed out he forced another restaurant in Bray to change their name so he was fine suiing someone else for copyright but when its done to him he is straight out to the media playing the poor man. The guy is a chancer who has a wealth of over 120 million but wont even pay his employees a living wage. But he's great at playing the beal bocht when it suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

My Aul lad arrived home from Lebanon in the 90s with some right gems.. my favourite of all was the cordless telephone stamped 'Panatronic'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,704 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't need any evidence to know that the bakery was definitely not using that logo of the three letters in the black squares before the BBC. Some things you just know.

The Beeb are using loads of different designs. They must think they own those three letters and can do what they like with them. A child could come up with a capital B in a black square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

keano25 wrote: »
    My Aul lad arrived home from Lebanon in the 90s with some right gems.. my favourite of all was the cordless telephone stamped 'Panatronic'
    You reminded me of some “Penesamig” batteries that were in some device my family had! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah and I agree with the court case outcome, McDonalds were just trying to bully him legally like they've always done as can be seen from the infamous McLibel trial.

Im just saying I dont believe for one minute that the Supermacs name came about because Pat was so good at gaelic football that all the other kids nicknamed him 'Supermac' as he claimed in court. The guy is a chancer, always has been. It was only around this time last year we were talking about him charging staff for uniforms and his food even if they didnt want to eat it.. He was literally profiteering off his already poorly paid staff and taking money out of their wages even if they didnt want to eat his fatty food every day at work.

He was also involved in another court case that specifically reduced the already low wages of his employees. And as has been pointed out he forced another restaurant in Bray to change their name so he was fine suiing someone else for copyright but when its done to him he is straight out to the media playing the poor man. The guy is a chancer who has a wealth of over 120 million but wont even pay his employees a living wage. But he's great at playing the beal bocht when it suits him.

Multi millionaire but comparitive pennies of PUP money going offshore keeps him awake at night.

His GAA nickname might have been less flattering...probably Scrooge McDuck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Instead of Pizza Hut in Balbriggan there's "Pizza Hot"
    The food and pizzas there are far superior to Pizza Hut also.
    My cousin also had a Pizza Hot in Limerick about 20 years ago in High Street although it's called Casa Nova Pizza now.

Advertisement