Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish Game/Cookery/Travel shows

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

What was the name of the quiz show hosted by Ann Doyle a few years back? It only lasted 2 shows. Had about 10 contestants and they used to have group talks in a steel garden shed or a shipping container.

'Division' a very odd programme, 2 shows was one too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

How many of these can people remember?
    Two that stick out in my mind are Murphy's Micro Quiz M and Play the Game. In Murphy's Micro Quiz M Murphy would pretend to be impressed by each game's Atari 2600 quality graphics. "Ah would you look at that??" he'd say when a Pac Man type character would bleep on the screen. The main prize every week was a Ford Orion as far as I can remember.

Play the game was an awful "celebrity" charades show hosted by Ronan Collins with team captains Twink and Derek Davis. I think Brush Shiels would make regular appearances on it also.

I also vaguely remember a Derek Davis presented travel show where Davis would regularly visit restaurants. He would always have complaints about the food, and he would often get belligerent with the waiter or the chef. He was basically acting like a male Karen. I'd hate to have to put up with someone like that if I were running a restaurant.

Does anyone else remember any other shows? The more obscure the better :)

one of my sisters works in TV production and worked on " Celebrity Baneoisteoir " circa ten - twelve years ago , Derek Davis was not quite a diva but he was very demanding , model Andrea Roche was the worst by a mile though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Remember one with Dara Ó Briain around 2001/2 featuring this yoke called The Shredder, can't remember anything else about it.

Dodge the Question with Jonathan Philbin-Bowman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

razorblunt wrote: »
    Wanderlust with Brendan Courtney. Like Blind Date except they’d pick one of three foreigners then meet them on a weekend city break to Munich or Or Prague or whatever.

Another travel show with yer man Baz that basically had some lads belt around Europe and a nigh out would culminate in them trying to set the gay lad up for a ride.

that travel show with Brendan Courtney was watchable , only lasted one season as far as i remember ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

The fame game was indeed the name of the celeb stalking show i mentioned alright

And caroline morahan may indeed have been the celebrity.

Head off for 2 weeks to LA there and try meet Tom Cruise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Whether it was the fact we only had 2 channels at best I found some RTE programming good enough back in the day. The Lyrics Board, Play The Game, Pot Luck, Bon Voyage and more were enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Aurelian wrote: »
    Both a cookery show and a game show. I think it was called Pot Luck where contestants had to make something out of random ingredients. I think it was on RTE 1 in the afternoons in the late 90s. I can see one of the presenters in my mind who switched to acting and was in something lately. Can't think of her name though.

Carrie Crowley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Remember one with Dara Ó Briain around 2001/2 featuring this yoke called The Shredder, can't remember anything else

It's A Family Affair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Quiz from around 2000 called Its Not The Answer presented by Bryan Smyth.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurelian

Rothko wrote: »
    Carrie Crowley

That's her! Couldn't think of the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Shauna Lowry and the late Cathal Shannon presented Bon Voyage - travel show made in the 90s - no frontiers was similar fare albeit a decade later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Dodge the Question with the late Jonathan Philbin Bowman. I remember liking it at the time...late 90s?

Soul Food. Cookery show that ran in 2004 with Seamus O Connell. Can't remember much about the show itself but he's had mixed fortunes since with his restaurant closing down and a few traffic related court appearances.

Former boards poster gDwyer was on beyond the hall door

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The Lyrics Board was popular for quite a while. My memory of it is very hazy though.

The Panel was an awful show with the likes of Dylan Moran, Neil Delamere, Colin Murphy and Andrew Maxwell talking pure ****e and laughing at each other. It was like listening to a bunch of teenage schoolgirls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

The Lyrics Board was popular for quite a while. My memory of it is very hazy though.

The Panel was an awful show with the likes of Dylan Moran, Neil Delamere, Colin Murphy and Andrew Maxwell talking pure ****e and laughing at each other. It was like listening to a bunch of teenage schoolgirls.

Never Mind the Gondolas was it's pre-runner and it was far superior....
    I remember Lloyd Grossman being on one night and he was being wound up about a brilliant eating establishment called abrakebabra that they would all go to after shooting and Jimmy Carr telling him there would be no issues getting in as "he knew the maitre 'd"

Never Mind the Gondolas was it's pre-runner and it was far superior....
    I remember Lloyd Grossman being on one night and he was being wound up about a brilliant eating establishment called abrakebabra that they would all go to after shooting and Jimmy Carr telling him there would be no issues getting in as "he knew the maitre 'd"

Don't think Jimmy Carr was ever on Gondolas as that finished circa 2000/01. He was on the Panel a few times all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Don't think Jimmy Carr was ever on Gondolas as that finished circa 2000/01. He was on the Panel a few times all right.

You could be right...my memory may be faulty :)

On the subject of Don't Feed The Gondolas it definitely wouldn't get made today. Those sections where theyd send Moncrief to some small town in Longford or wherever where he'd do vox pops with some plastered fellas drinking in a field while the studio panel made snide remarks came across as kind of exploitative. Then Brendan O Connor in his pre cuddly days, I remember when Michael D Higgins was a guest and BOC repeatedly tried to get him to swear. " go on say ****!".

Former boards poster gDwyer was on beyond the hall door

Yeah that episode was on Killianm2 youtube channel. The takedown of the channel has deprived this thread of a lot of clips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

On the subject of Don't Feed The Gondolas it definitely wouldn't get made today. Those sections where theyd send Moncrief to some small town in Longford or wherever where he'd do vox pops with some plastered fellas drinking in a field while the studio panel made snide remarks came across as kind of exploitative. Then Brendan O Connor in his pre cuddly days, I remember when Michael D Higgins was a guest and BOC repeatedly tried to get him to swear. " go on say ****!".

Brendan O' Connor came across as a right cúnt back in those days. Bit like Roy Keane, a belligerent, sneering prick who grew into a bit of a teddy bear in middle age.

Is it a Cork thing or something

Challenging Times, basically RTEs answer to University Challenge. Presented by Kevin Myers in typical snarky mode.

Myers was also one of the panelists on Thats All We Have Time For, absolutely dire attempt at a Never Mind The Buzzcocks type comedy panel show that was cancelled after one series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Brendan O' Connor came across as a right cúnt back in those days. Bit like Roy Keane, a belligerent, sneering prick who grew into a bit of a teddy bear in middle age.

Is it a Cork thing or something

Roy Keane was someone who was at the top of his game and was a no-nonsense professional who didn't compromise with twats and held to his beliefs and perspectives, for better or worse.

Brendan O'Connor was a professional snide who ended up wh*ring himself out to the Sunday Independent, joining an army of bullsh*tters fawning over a crony class in Irish society. "The real ballsy guys are out buying property now."

No comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Keith Duffy - The Box - I've never seen it and there are no clips of it anywhere but there is a Gift Grub sketch of it that really makes me want to see it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Challenging Times, basically RTEs answer to University Challenge. Presented by Kevin Myers in typical snarky mode.

Myers was also one of the panelists on Thats All We Have Time For, absolutely dire attempt at a Never Mind The Buzzcocks type comedy panel show that was cancelled after one series.

That was more an attempt at Have I Got News For You. Ruined by bad star choices.

There was actually a pilot of a real Irish HIGNFY presented by Dermot Morgan many many years before

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember a sports quiz around 2002 with Tracey Piggott and Joe Brolly it was a bit weird, in fairness the one with Jacqui Hurley, Shane Byrne and Ruby Walsh in recent years was decent.

Good Grief Moncrief, ran for one series in the Summer of 1996. Was shown on RTE 1 which was probably a bad decision when it would have been better suited to the more offbeat Network 2 late night slot. Only two interviews I can remember were Chris Penn in the opening programme(very awkward) and the duo behind that gawdawful Irish Viz rip off Fitz (a right smug pair considering Fitz was utter gash).

Don't know if talent shows fit the thread but there's two i remember from long before they became ubiquitous. Screen Test, presented by Mike Murphy mid 80s. John Spillanes group the Stargazers were one of the acts on it.

There was another show that ran circa 1993_95 called Go For It. I remember one time they had a guy from Bosnia, this was when the war there was still actually ongoing. Yer man had a sword swallowing act. One of the panel of judges, a woman, cant remember her name got quite offended by his act and said it was "sickening" or she used some words to that effect.

Edit: I've just remembered it was razor blades he was swallowing, not swords. Those disposable blades that I don't think you get anymore, or ar least I haven't seen them in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The charades show Play the Game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

There was another show that ran circa 1993_95 called Go For It. I remember one time they had a guy from Bosnia, this was when the war there was still actually ongoing. Yer man had a sword swallowing act. One of the panel of judges, a woman, cant remember her name got quite offended by his act and said it was "sickening" or she used some words to that effect.

Did Marty Whelan present that (before he went grey)?
    I think the tenor Ronan Tynan appeared on that.

Edit: he won! https://www.list.co.uk/event/1408909-ronan-tynan/

Advertisement