Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9mm birch ply box...need advice..help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

As for my redundant dowel jig I bought...well i made a storage box for it out of cheap ply. And i rebated the bottom of the box to accomodate the base..giving it a strength. Thanks Recipio.
    At this stage I wish i had a pin nailer.

Nice dowel jig. Its probably designed for 12 mm material and more. As I feared you are getting 'telegraphing' of the biscuits due to the thin material. It would be interesting to see if plywood biscuits +/- PU glue would help.
    That is a lot of tearout on the ply. Its prone to this especially as you are cutting across the ( outer ) grain. A sharp blade is essential and try and fit a zero clearance table inset if the saw will allow.
    I can't get 6 or 9 mm Baltic ply locally so I have to order small 600 x 300 mm sheets from Amazon - how mad is that ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

material is not the problem...its the depth of cut... mistated about the telegraphing .....what u see in the photo is the joiner blade cutting too deep. and there's no sign of telegraphing on the sides of the biscuits.if i get a chance I'll play with the depth stop of the joiner and trim the biscuits to fit. Ply biscuits and Pu glue wouldnt really matter from my experience with beech ones.

I'm in the process of getting some parts for the zero clearance insert from Bosch...theyre only simple setting screws/studs so when that jig is done it may reduce the tearout. Mcquillans Spare parts guy not very enthusiatic with my gynormous order!!

I also will be scribing and masking along the cut line when sawing along the cross grain ,that'll help also.

Sorry to hear about your Baltic Ply...its the times we live in at the moment/.

Sean, if you're still looking for a solution, here's one to look into:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/supplies/joinery/biscuits/32730-veritas-mini-biscuits

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

Thanks for the tip JayZeus...they're worth a look. The box turned out ok after all...the sides need a coating of was with 0000 wire wool to finish it off.

Advertisement