Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help aligning S124 hatch lid

Options
  • 23-06-2021 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

any tips on how to align the tailgate on my S124 ?
    Replaced the rusty old one and the new one is very difficult to line up. Does anyone know a good way to do it ?

For those of you who dont know it, the hatch door is attached to 2 hinges (17 in diagram ) which are located on the top by 2 bolts which screw into the side of the door.

Maybe there is a generic way to align panels, or some w124 specific trick or tool to do it.
    I've put it on with very loose bolts and it fits OK ( not great ) but when I try tighten it up on the hinges it always moves.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

556652.JPG

556670.jpg

556671.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Use some grip washers between the bolt head, and hinge plate.
    It may hold the hinge in place while the force goes on the bolt head

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mooretaxi

Remove the latch so it doesn't try to lock, also remove the rubber seal before trying to align the tailgate , this should stop any pressure against the tailgate and then be able to set the gaps, a few loosely balled up sheets of tin foil placed near the lower edges of the opening will help to get the gaps set, once the gaps are set then refit the rubber, it's possible that the lips the rubber seal fit on have had some hammer adjustments in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jmreire

When lining up any locking panels, be they booth or bonnet, remove the locks from the top panel, and the lock fittings from the panel. Then bolt on the booth / bonnet, but not tightly, just enough to hold it firmly. Carefully Lower it into position, and check that its fitting correctly with even gaps all round. If you are satisfied, than tighten all the bolts, and check the fitting again. Then fit the lock striker pin centrally to the bonnet ( they usually have some adjustment ). For the locking panel, place some masking tape over the aperture where the lock will be, Mark the striker pin ( paint, marker, tippex etc) and lower the bonnet until the striker touches the tape, and marks it. Fit the lock to the top locking panel, centralising it according to the mark on the masking tape. Check it then for locking / unlocking. If all is corrrect, replace the rubber buffers, and then you can set the height by adjusting the striker pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Best done with a second pair of strong hands, but can be done solo. It's a b... of a job though. Took me 2h to line mine up perfectly.

Go one side at a time. Loosen the upper bolt, and undo the bottom just enough for it not to lock. Close the lid, line up that side, note the position of the bolts when closed. Lift, lock them in the same position. Do the other side the same way. Rinse, repeat until done.

Advertisement