Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most impactful positive changes you have made in your life

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nearly 6 months mostly continuous at the gym three days a week this month. Missed about 6 days but it's great for the aul mental health. I go in the morning to avoid the Instagram brigade.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

I retained my ambition but stopped being careerist. I still have a job, but I make sure it doesn't dominate the way I previously let it. This freed up time for me to "work" on topics / issues that I cared more about and were more interesting. It also, serendipitously, led to me setting up a little side business (based on a creative hobby I never previously had enough time to practice properly).

So now, I've now zero promotion prospects but I've never been happier or more content. My time is now mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Volunteering at an animal shelter was great for me. Nearly 7 years at it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Danye

Fair play. I’d like to do this but I think I might actually get to connected to the animals!

Hi. You should give it a try. Something for the new year. I'd always wanted to do it but kept putting it off, but was delighted once i started. I deal with dogs and of course you bond with some more than others, but you come to accept that they'll have a happy ending going to their forever homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Danye

What about the poor dogs that don’t get a forever home though. 🙁

The shelter I volunteer at don't put dogs down (unless they are too sick or vicious). Some dogs get adopted quicker than others, but they all get adopted eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,861 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Most important and impactful decision…

using a filter to filter out any…

mé féiners

Judgementalers

everyday mentalers

ALL from life and not putting up with them or time wasters…

realising that you spend 40 plus hours at work, if it’s an unhealthy situation or not the terms and scenario you signed up to…. Exit…

so left the job, don’t speak to one family member… enabling my health through eating well, filtering out stress and exercising at the gym 3 days a week and at home 2-3 days all be it lightly..

never felt better.

in addition the words… NO and FÛCK OFF can and need to be used in circumstances to people who won’t listen…. This empowers and enables your wellbeing…

People / we are thought that being selfless is where it’s at, it isn’t, bôllocks…

selfless : “concerned more with the needs and wishes of others than with one's own

you are absolutely no good to yourself or anybody if you are not prioritising your own wellbeing and health… and indeed happiness…

identify what makes you well, happy and make a plan, execute the plan and work on it every fûcking day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Could not agree more with you! 👍️👍️ You cannot be there for others if you are not looking after yourself.

I have learned to say no to people who are always looking for something from me and often do little to reciprocate - and it is very empowering and liberating.

Filtering out toxic, bitter, negative and manipulative people in one's life also extends to putting plenty of these individuals who post here on Boards on the Ignore list. 😎

I myself am doing largely the same things I did last year - plenty of swimming, cycling and walking when I can. My plan is to try to eat better this year which means less of the microwave/oven heated ready meals and more home cooking from scratch. Now...if only I could find the time...🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Frostynight

Nice positive idea for a thread.

Buying an Apple Watch. This because I've always been a very inconsistent exerciser. Now I've exercised typically every day for 30 mins but often 60-90 with weights every day for years. I mix in all sorts of activity. Problem solved.

Taking the plunge on re-training after being made redundant. I've retaken control of my career, I love my work and study paid off.

Possibly, starting counselling. A few major life issues were stuck there like a poision arrow and they're getting solved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement