Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracks in concrete base

Options
  • 22-06-2021 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Got 8m of 30N concrete poured for a 9x6m shed base yesterday.
    Concrete arrived at 11am.

When I arrived home at 6 the lads who did the job were gone and the concrete was full of big cracks. They came back when I rang them and they came back for a look and said it there was nothing they could do about it because of the hot weather and strong wind that was there all day, and it was perfect when they were leaving.
    They tell me that structurally the concrete is perfect and that they'll put levelling compound on top to hide the cracks.

What do people make of that option as a fix?

556572.jpg

556573.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Best off on the construction and planning forum I would say.

Personally I would not be happy with the job. Yes it's hot but bad mix or not wetting it down . Should have been covered over too with some cloth or other material to keep the sun off.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is there a DPM under it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

listermint wrote: »
    Best off on the construction and planning forum I would say.

Personally I would not be happy with the job. Yes it's hot but bad mix or not wetting it down . Should have been covered over too with some cloth or other material to keep the sun off.

Mix is from roadstone, I reckon they should have spent longer minding it instead of fecking off to another job. They'll charge for a full days work anyway :rolleyes:

Lumen wrote: »
    Is there a DPM under it?

Yup, 1000g Polythene between the 804 and Concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

garv123 wrote: »
    Got 8m of 30N concrete poured for a 9x6m shed base yesterday.
    Concrete arrived at 11am.

When I arrived home at 6 the lads who did the job were gone and the concrete was full of big cracks. They came back when I rang them and they came back for a look and said it there was nothing they could do about it because of the hot weather and strong wind that was there all day, and it was perfect when they were leaving.
    They tell me that structurally the concrete is perfect and that they'll put levelling compound on top to hide the cracks.

What do people make of that option as a fix?

556572.jpg

556573.jpg

Should have been covered - Listen to a Civil Engineer explain why https://youtu.be/DSzgFLmDsx4?t=486

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

should have been covered with hessian and kept wet until late evening
    https://www.irishconcrete.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/ICF-Guidelines-for-Hot-Weather-Mar2012.pdf

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They failed to follow the suppliers guidelines. I’d get them back to fix it.

https://www.roadstone.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/RS-Concrete-in-Hot-Weather.pdf

Protect concrete against moisture loss during placement and particularly curing period

What is the fix? Dig it all back out?? Cracks vary from 1 to 3 inches deep. From bits I can measure. 4.5 to 5 inches deep is what the concrete is

What is the fix? Dig it all back out?? Cracks vary from 1 to 3 inches deep. From bits I can measure. 4.5 to 5 inches deep is what the concrete is

Pretty much. There's no fixing that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

It's bad alright. They didn't keep it damp and it dried and expanded too fast. Disaster now I think from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Is there at least mesh steel in it as a last hope saving grace

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Is there at least mesh steel in it as a last hope saving grace

Yes, they should of used a hessian mat like the below & have the slab soaking wet. Practically a 5min job would of prevented the cracking
    https://www.safarigroup.com.au/chemicals/hessian-curing-blanket-18oz

Most likely they will tell him there is mesh in it, without seeing them doing the job, I wouldnt trust them unless your family member saw them put it in. The next question would be was the hardcore compacted, did he witness it.

They have made the dogs dinner out of it. Whats the shed to be used for, any traffic loading. Are you restricted to now taking it all out. Could you give them the option of taking it all out & doing it again which they wont want or a better option to slab over it again or are you restricted height wise.

I wouldn't be in a rush to paying them yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Would have thought wetting it down and covering during the curing period was the norm
    for best practice putting down concrete.

You should not have to accept this, its poor workmanship at best, useless for purpose at worst.

I would not pay until it was rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I wonder could you complain to Roadstone about the cracking, maybe get them to come over and say bluntly "it wasn't laid/cured properly!" then its not a layman's unqualified opinion (as the builders will likely say).

Failing that, send them a photo/video and maybe they'll respond in an email, if they're not prepared to do a site visit.

Good luck with it.

To answer a few questions at once,

The guy who did it did 2 other concrete bases for dog runs, and footpaths for me, with no issues.

He's saying there's nothing he could do to stop that happening because of the weather, and wetting it more wouldn't have helped.

He still thinks that'll be structurally sound and the levelling compound will fix it all.

There's no steel in it and the 804 was put in by a different guy doing ground works with a digger.

It's a decent made shed with proper rsj structure, not like the steel tech stuff so the shed itself would be heavy enough sitting on the edges.
    I'd want to be able to back in a trailer into the shed for a lawnmower, using my l200. So maybe not far off 3t weight.

Roadstone called out today to check it out. I haven't heard any verdict yet but I doubt they'll be taking any blame.

Few more pics

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

There's no steel in it and the 804 was put in by a different guy doing ground works with a digger.

Roadstone called out today to check it out. I haven't heard any verdict yet but I doubt they'll be taking any blame.
    No steel, wtf were they thinking putting in 8 meters without steel, I'd be very surprised if roadstone entertained that for more than 5 minutes, especially if driver added water onsite, don't pay and make them take it out or clear them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What depth is the slab to take that weight?
    A few control-joints mightn't have gone astray either.

10-10-20 wrote: »
    What depth is the slab to take that weight?
    A few control-joints mightn't have gone astray either.

Its working out at 150mm going by the dimensions given

Roadstone would only be responsible for delivering the correct mix, and maintaining the proper
    water to cement ratio. Meaning they did not water down the mix to aid working it.

Any lack of steel or wetting down to allow a proper cure is down to the groundworks team surely.

I cant see levelling compound being a lot of use to a slab requiring structural integrity.

• Advertisement

The guy who did it did 2 other concrete bases for dog runs, and footpaths for me, with no issues.

He's saying there's nothing he could do to stop that happening because of the weather, and wetting it more wouldn't have helped.

He still thinks that'll be structurally sound and the levelling compound will fix it all.

It's a decent made shed with proper rsj structure, not like the steel tech stuff so the shed itself would be heavy enough sitting on the edges.
    I'd want to be able to back in a trailer into the shed for a lawnmower, using my l200. So maybe not far off 3t weight.

No ****ing way would be my response.

Roadstone wont be to blame, unless you can prove the mix is faulty.
    And the only way you could prove this is with a test cube of the mix.
    Was this taken ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kadman wrote: »
    Roadstone wont be to blame, unless you can prove the mix is faulty.
    And the only way you could prove this is with a test cube of the mix.
    Was this taken ?

Roadstone can say that they stuff was laid as per their guideline. Do the op can go back to the company that did shoddy work snd then to small claims court If required

In all fairness if you intend to place a proper shed constructed of structural steelwork, then you probably
    needed a proper groundworks crew that would have experience of the slab requirements for this.

There is a world of difference between foot paths and dog runs than a shed for a portal frame construction
    or similar.

I guess the op knows this now, and needs a remedy for this mess . Most likely being the removal of this slab,
    and replacing it with a proper one. I cant see how you can place steelwork onto the edge of a slab
    with no steel in its construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Laying structural RSJ columns at the edges may induce further triangular cracks in the slab. I cant understand why them guys didnt put a layer of A142 mesh 2 inches from the top surface into that slab. Introducing a control joint by cutting a horizontal joint at the 4m mark when the concrete reached 2/3 of its strength would of limited the cracking & induced a control crack at this point.

It sounds to me Paddy the builder didn't want to wait around & do that either. I guess the hot weather was to blame for him skiving off to get another job done

Regarding his footpaths how did he lay it, probably in max. 3m sections, therefore no cracking.

Best you tell the wife hold onto the purse for now, that slab wont take any traffic loading. Nothing to do with Roadstone man, Paddys at fault here

If bob the builder , or Paddy worked to the instructions of the op,
    then he may not be responsible either. Its gonna be a tricky one.

If it was me I would ask the builder for a digout (excuse the pun)
    and remove the slab foc. And employ a proper groundworks crew that
    can do a proper slab for the steel shed.

OP may have to bite the bullet on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Without mesh and a deeper strip all round as shown here
    https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/501307002262214091/
    it wont work.
    In addition it seems the 804 was not whacked.
    not covering/wetting it in the sun is negligence.

It has to come out, IMO

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

If your slab is carry a structural RSJ built shed, then.

You need either an engineer to spec the slab for you, and to be there before the pour,
    or during it,
    Or,

A groundworks team that is fully briefed and knows what is going on it, and HAS INSURANCE,
    should something go wrong. As they would/should have access to their engineer.

kadman wrote: »
    If your slab is carry a structural RSJ built shed, then.

You need either an engineer to spec the slab for you, and to be there before the pour,
    or during it,
    Or,

A groundworks team that is fully briefed and knows what is going on it, and HAS INSURANCE,
    should something go wrong. As they would/should have access to their engineer.
    An engineer is not needed for these type of jobs, any experienced ground worker would know what to do from previous experience

• Advertisement

An engineer is not needed for these type of jobs, any experienced ground worker would know what to do from previous experience

I said either/or, read the post:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement