Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to cut UK TV and film content after brexit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I was thinking many of us (here in the UK and as far as I am aware also in Ireland) have grown up watching US and occasionally Australian TV and films and nobody ever really suggested limiting or reducing it as it affects our culture.

I think it has had an effect on Ireland. At least I've seen it over my lifetime.
    We've been almost subsumed as regards TV/Entertainment, and pace of transmission of "culture" from US/UK to here is almost instant now thanks to the internet.
    We speak the same language and have deep connections to both of them so it hasn't been a wrenching process. Fairly painless.
    Colonisation by foreign produced English language media (driven more by US than UK) is going to hurt more for countries where 1st language is not English and there are greater cultural differences than we have. They will try and push back against it + are right to IMO.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Seems logical to me, with the UK no longer in the EU, UK made media content does not contribute to the EU content quota. Doesn’t stop that content from being available, but it does eat into the content available from other non-EU countries on streaming sites.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I was thinking many of us (here in the UK and as far as I am aware also in Ireland) have grown up watching US and occasionally Australian TV and films and nobody ever really suggested limiting or reducing it as it affects our culture.

The are limited. What do you think the quotas do other than limit non-EU programming?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And nobody has done so now either, apart from you. It's your Brexit and you're still acting like a spoilt child trying to blame everyone but those that voted Brexit for the long telegraphed logical consequences.
    Shouldn't it be down to the viewer to decide what nationality of content they want to watch be it UK, US, Latvian or whatever?

Why on earth do you think you're stopped from doing do, other than broadcasters within a country not showing content from those other countries in a foreign language as it's not logical to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This will just mean RTE waste more money on the imported re-run shyte that makes up most of their schedule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Seems logical to me, with the UK no longer in the EU, UK made media content does not contribute to the EU content quota. Doesn’t stop that content from being available, but it does eat into the content available from other non-EU countries on streaming sites.

Is it just about being in the EU,because the UK is a European country,so why limit or exclude them?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nobody's excluding them. They're excluding themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Shouldn't it be down to the viewer to decide what nationality of content they want to watch be it UK, US, Latvian or whatever?

How could you measure that? Viewer ratings only apply to content that has already been broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ohh look another thread from Rob blaming the EU for brexit consequences.... it must be tuesday

Seems like a nothingburger.

British content is popular because so many continentals speak English and lots of people dislike subtitled or dubbed content. It might be a boon for the Irish TV and Film industry, through companies relocating here or forming here and then doing their filming in the UK/Ireland with a bunch of UK & Irish actors and being able to slap a "European" sticker on it.

More likely, VOD services will be accessed with VPN and demand for the content will barely be hit. I don't know many people under 45 who watch legacy TV any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

What are the chances Britain was instrumental in the crafting of these EU broadcasting regulations in order to ensure its interests?

Almost a certainty?

How do you limit what a TV channel shows?

Is it stuff filmed in the U.K., made in the English language? Sold by a UK based company?

Are the eu really going to tell RTÉ to stop showing eastenders and replace with a Spanish alternative?

Apparently there's some increasing rumblings in Italy about leaving the EU. My Italian friend just told me that if they take away The Crown it might just push the vote over :pac:

Aegir wrote: »

Is it stuff filmed in the U.K., made in the English language? Sold by a UK based company?

Are the eu really going to tell RTÉ to stop showing eastenders and replace with a Spanish alternative?

The EU won't tell RTÉ anything. RTÉ decides which programmes they buy. They are supposed to have more than 50% EU content, which they can probably make up just by all the RTÉ news programmes + Euro news in the middle of the night + sport. Terrestrial content is measured over the whole year, it appears, while streaming content is based on a percentage of shows available at one time. At best, RTÉ might have to start generating a tad more content, or they might just put dubbed Spanish spaghetti westerns in the the middle of the day rather than buying endless reruns of Dr. Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yeah It's up to them what they show.
    EastEnders is popular I think (haven't seen an episode in years).
    So they would keep that (or similar).
    They might have to replace some of the cheap US or UK shíte they broadcast to pad out the time table with more Spanish/German/French/Scandi shíte or heaven forbid, commission extra programming made in Ireland.

If you get into the details this is quite a sinister plan. The EU is going to take all the good bits out of British films and replace them with French accordion music. This could take up to a week and 1-2 DVDs. As always, the detail is in the fine print... by 2027, if you want to release a UK-made/financed movie in the EU, you will be required to dub over all male parts using castratos and all female parts using a library of horse sounds. It's just rudeness on their part, IMHO.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Is it just about being in the EU,because the UK is a European country,so why limit or exclude them?

Member states of the EU are currently revising their audiovisual media services directive, I really couldn’t tell you if there’s much appetite amongst members to include UK produced content in their quotas.

Local produced content quotas have applied for decades in Ireland. RTE won’t replace a popular show regardless of where it’s from, but something less popular that doesn’t contribute to the local quota would get the chop. That wouldn’t be an EU thing btw, it’s a purely Irish thing.

Go look at what the french do in this regard, they are very proactive in protecting their arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Licensing and legislation - pretty much exactly how it works in broadcasting at the moment.
    A whole heap of legislation exists about what you can show and at what time. And your license to broadcast determines lots of minimum allocation (for home produced programmes, news bulletins, childrens programming etc).

I don't know, but those sound like the sort of technical details that EU administrators absolutely love coming up with a set of rules for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It has been limited RTEs mandated to show x amount of drama, x amount of Irish language , x amount of news etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

There is no European culture when it comes to TV and film (outside of art house). There is just European-flavoured Anglo-American culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

Dr. Em wrote: »
    The EU won't tell RTÉ anything. RTÉ decides which programmes they buy. They are supposed to have more than 50% EU content, which they can probably make up just by all the RTÉ news programmes + Euro news in the middle of the night + sport. Terrestrial content is measured over the whole year, it appears, while streaming content is based on a percentage of shows available at one time. At best, RTÉ might have to start generating a tad more content, or they might just put dubbed Spanish spaghetti westerns in the the middle of the day rather than buying endless reruns of Dr. Phil.

Spaghetti westerns are Italian!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

Dr. Em wrote: »

They also show documentaries produced by ZDF and other EU mainland broadcasters.

There is actually a whole genre of Spanish language ones that were produced in Spain after the first big name ones took off.

But yeah, the earlier ones would do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

OMG, that's like, so true?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

mackerski wrote: »
    OMG, that's like, so true?

Dude

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That’s settled so I’m out to throw a few shrimp on the barbie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ted1 wrote: »
    “The legend of Dinny” , a Glenroe origins story
    Bracken was a spin off from The Riordans.

Overdue a reboot , but get TG4 to do it so there's more quota boxes ticked for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

que.jpg

• Advertisement

That comes from Sergio Leone as the most notable director being Italian, while Spain was used for nearly the majority of the filming locations.

As for the subject of the thread, as others have said the English voted for brexit, and that's what they have.

Advertisement