Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleted Scenes and Alternate Endings

• 21-06-2021 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭

One of the joys of DVDs. Are there any deleted scenes that you feel should have been left in the film?
    What about an alternative ending that you thought was better than the actual ending?

I've always preferred this alternative ending from First Blood. It is much more powerful and highlights the fact that Rambo was suffering from severe PTSD.

In the sequels he becomes an OTT killing machine and his mental state is never really mentioned again, even thought that was what caused him to breakdown in the first place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

There is really only one deleted scene that made me go Holy Cow ;)

The Terminator where some workers find the chip from the Terminator's head and then the camera pans up showing that the plant where the final showdown took place was Cyberdyne Systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

One of the joys of DVDs. Are there any deleted scenes that you feel should have been left in the film?
    What about an alternative ending that you thought was better than the actual ending?

I've always preferred this alternative ending from First Blood. It is much more powerful and highlights the fact that Rambo was suffering from severe PTSD.

In the sequels he becomes an OTT killing machine and his mental state is never really mentioned again, even thought that was what caused him to breakdown in the first place.

I've never actually seen this, didn't know it existed even. I read the book years ago and this is in keeping with that. The book is great though, surprisingly moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

An outtake from Escape From New York that was originally going to open the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Star Trek Nemesis

https://youtu.be/6b8jsrDl89M

They really should have left this scene in it as the ending. Much better than what they done and a nice send off for the crew.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Niska

Slight twist on it, Clue ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088930/ ) had three different endings, and thus three different prints - so different theatres had different endings. They're usually combined, and separated by title cards (like 'This is how it really happened') at the end now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's not a good film by any means, but Disturbing Behaviour was the first film that made me realise what a difference could be made by deleted scenes. All the deleted scenes except the seemingly obligatory love scene add to the characters, and while the alt ending isn't great it's better and more consistent with what went before than the daft ending the theatrical release got.

If you're interested in all of this stuff, the world of fanedits has a lot to offer, although the quality is obviously wildly variable.

Another cracking one is the Gang War deleted scene from The Raid 2. The film was pretty long anyway but it seems such a pity to lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The alternate ending to Die Hard With A Vengeance is pretty grim with John hunting Simon Gruber down after he got away with the gold and McClane was fired from the NYPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It's been a while since I watched the film and the deleted scenes so I can't remember all the details but I definitely came away thinking there were better elements left on the cutting room floor that should have been in the film. I thought the film was okay when I first saw it, I hoped there was potential in where it would go with the story, while also cringing at other parts that are widely mocked. That all fell through with Alien: Covenant so as far as I care now Prometheus is garbage.

But I do believe that some good intentions were initially being bandied around with it's creation, and some of that is reflected in the deleted scenes from what I remember. It's worth delving into if they are on youtube, or the DVD is at home and you've never checked them out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

While the alternative ending wasn't any more accurate to the original novel, I Am Legend's unreleased version of its finale was more thematically in keeping with what transpired in the book. Or indeed, in keeping with the title of the damn book. Unfortunately, it fell foul of a Test Audience, so instead we got that inane, explosive last few scenes. It's a shame because it wasn't a bad movie all told, for a blockbuster horror. CGI kinda sucks though, watching the clips:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

250px-WonderfulLifeKillingSpree.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Sylvester Stallone releasing his directors cut of Rocky IV shortly, which will include alternate scenes and new edits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,821 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What a pity it didn't end like that. We wouldn't have had those piss poor sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

This thread pops up every now and again (But is always fun).

We all know that the vast majority of the extended scenes in the extended editions of The Lord of The Rings trilogy were never intended for release in the cinema (Indee, they were actually still filming secondary unit stuff for RoTK AFTER winning the Oscar). So I won't include any of those additional scenes.

However one scene that WAS intended to be used and was removed is one of my favourites. It's Faramir's flashback to Boromir and Denethor after he has captured Frodo.

It fleshes out Boromir's character. Showing his love and respect for his brother. And it shows his own internal doubt of his strength (Also explored in the extended Galadrial scene). He questions his strength in being able to resist the temptation of the Ring. It also adds weight to Faramir's line "A chance for Farimir, captain of Gondor to show his quality"

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Tazium

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Not exactly better, rather a more peculiar ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it was only this year I saw the deleted scene from the 1930's Frankenstein where the monster is "playing" with the little girl, they cut out the scene where he throws her in the water but wasn't intentionally trying to kill her, so it looks deliberate without the context. As someone mentioned on another thread the scene is back in any more recent cuts of it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not exactly better, rather a more peculiar ending.

Paul Rudd, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Tony Scott argued over the ending for True Romance where Tarantino wanted a sad ending but Scott said that it wouldn't work and wouldn't live up to the title.
    So Scott filmed his ending and said he would try Tarantino's version as well and after watching it Quentin totally agreed with him and said he made the right call

Advertisement