Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calorie deficit

Options
  • 21-06-2021 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

So I've been training i had an accident and I'm limited to what I can do. I'm late 30s male. 2500 calories a day is my required?

If I remain at a calorie deficit between 1500 and 1900 a day will I still lose weight with limited training.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

LMHC wrote: »
    So I've been training i had an accident and I'm limited to what I can do. I'm late 30s male. 2500 calories a day is my required?

If I remain at a calorie deficit between 1500 and 1900 a day will I still lose weight with limited training.

Yes - as long as you are accurate with your calorie counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Myfitnesspal is literally your pal, scan every barcode!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

Yes - as long as you are accurate with your calorie counting.

I'm on about 1200-1400 cals today and yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

I assume calories will come from healthy nutritionally dense food?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm late 30s male. 2500 calories a day is my required?
    Energy requirements will depend on size and body comp.
    Yes. As you’re certainly burning more.
    markmoto wrote: »
    I assume calories will come from healthy nutritionally dense food?
    He should try to for various reasons.
    But it won’t stop weight loss if he doesn’t.
    You can lose weight on Twinkies. Which have zero nutritional value.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

Cheers mate

Losing weight to stay healthy or losing weight and eat whatever you like within caloric deficit?

Losing weight to stay healthy or losing weight and eat whatever you like within caloric deficit?
    Did you not understand what I said?

Sometimes a person is asking a simple question. In this case the OP just wanted to confirm his understanding - which was correct.
    Rambling on about high quality nutritional dense foods is not what he asked about nor is it helpful.

Sometimes a person is asking a simple question. In this case the OP just wanted to confirm his understanding - which was correct.
    Rambling on about high quality nutritional dense foods is not what he asked about nor is it helpful.

Your answer was what I wanted to know nutrionally dense food isn't my concern at moment. Continuing to lose weight while limited gym work while injured is what I wanted to know. Ansser was yes thank you Mellor.

You said "You can lose weight on Twinkies. Which have zero nutritional value."

my question:

Not related to OP rather to your post offering to eat junk food.

• Advertisement

You said "You can lose weight on Twinkies. Which have zero nutritional value."
    Yes. That is a correct statement.
    my question:
    Lose weight, specifically body fat.
    Not related to OP rather to your post offering to eat junk food.

I didn’t offer anything. I pointed out a simple fact.
    OP has his answer. If your post isn’t related to the OP. There’s no need to start the same conversation in yet another thread.

Yes. That is a correct statement.

Lose weight, specifically body fat.

I didn’t offer anything. I pointed out a simple fact.
    OP has his answer. If your post isn’t related to the OP. There’s no need to start the same conversation in yet another thread.

You offered partially misleading advice by referring to junk food as example.

The point people lose weight to improve health and wellbeing.

And the nutrients what regulates mood, metabolic reactions, hormonal balance; provide energy, contribute to body structure, and/or regulate chemical processes in the body. These basic functions allow to detect and respond to environmental surroundings, move, excrete wastes, respire (breathe), grow, and reproduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He wasn't offering advice. He was making a statement. Specifically on Twinkies because of the experiment a professor did to demonstrate the CICO model with respect to losing weight (lost 27 lbs in 10 weeks on a diet primarily of Twinkies). No one advises it but the principle is weight loss is about burning more than you consume.

And the OP knew the point he was making, which is the main point.

He wasn't offering advice. He was making a statement. Specifically on Twinkies because of the experiment a professor did to demonstrate the CICO model with respect to losing weight (lost 27 lbs in 10 weeks on a diet primarily of Twinkies). No one advises it but the principle is weight loss is about burning more than you consume.

And the OP knew the point he was making, which is the main point.

Losing weight on Twinkies? Perhaps in the lab it would work.

In real life If you eat nutrient dense food pay back in a form of positive mood, happiness, energetic and you would have more chances to succeed with your goal.
    If you enter caloric deficit with Twinkies in a few days you will be depressed, feel down, muscle fatigue and eventually give up.

So if OP asking if s/he can succeed in calorie deficit plan, important key is nutrient dense food.

Losing weight on Twinkies? Perhaps in the lab it would work.

In real life If you eat nutrient dense food pay back in a form of positive mood, happiness, energetic and you would have more chances to succeed with your goal.
    If you inter caloric deficit with Twinkies in a few days you will be depressed, feel down, muscle fatigue and eventually give up.

So if OP asking if s/he can succeed in calorie deficit plan, important key is nutrient dense food.

A professor of nutrition did it himself. In the real world.

And you're still missing the point.

But it's nice to see that you agree with me on the food quality and food quantity. Took you long enough.

A professor of nutrition did it himself. In the real world.

And you're still missing the point.

But it's nice to see that you agree with me on the food quality and food quantity. Took you long enough.

:)

Mark Haub could have easily done a different experiment—he could have eaten 1,800 calories a day of whole foods. In fact, I think that’s what he should do next and compare how he feels on each diet. I’m curious about a few other indicators of overall health: What was his digestion like? Did he feel fatigued? Have headaches? Have poor sleep? Experience a lack of energy? His report leaves all this out. You can starve yourself to lose weight—that’s not a new concept, but it will not make you healthy. Your health will eventually suffer, it’s just a matter of time. Ten weeks, however, is not long enough to determine the consequences of any diet.

:)

Mark Haub could have easily done a different experiment—he could have eaten 1,800 calories a day of whole foods. In fact, I think that’s what he should do next and compare how he feels on each diet. I’m curious about a few other indicators of overall health: What was his digestion like? Did he feel fatigued? Have headaches? Have poor sleep? Experience a lack of energy? His report leaves all this out. You can starve yourself to lose weight—that’s not a new concept, but it will not make you healthy. Your health will eventually suffer, it’s just a matter of time. Ten weeks, however, is not long enough to determine the consequences of any diet.

Still missing the point.

It wasn't to suggest it was a good idea as a diet.

Still missing the point.

It wasn't to suggest it was a good idea as a diet.

With knowledge you can read between the lines however for someone new references to Twinkies could be a misleading pathway.

With knowledge you can read between the lines however for someone new references to Twinkies could be a misleading pathway.

It wasn't to the OP, who has already said he got what Mellor was saying.

And no one here has ever suggested anything but a balanced diet and to cut back on processed food.

It wasn't to the OP, who has already said he got what Mellor was saying.

And no one here has ever suggested anything but a balanced diet and to cut back on processed food.

Mellor commented my post with junk food hence I replied that's all.

• Advertisement

And the statement was factually correct.

No, I didn't offer any advice about junk food.

I made a point about energy balance, which is what the OP asked about.
    Everyone seems to have understood except for you.

Nope, you were waffling off topic before I mentioned the twinkies.
    I mention it as it was such a well known case that I thought the point would have been clear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mod Note: I don't think all this back and forth about food quality is really helping the OP, can we leave it there please.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement