Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weightlifting belt from Canada with Insane tax

Options
  • 21-06-2021 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My parents ordered me a Rise lever weightlifting belt from canada, and it showed up at my door today. The delivery guy asked for 53 euros in tax, which is more than half of what the belt itself is worth. I think they paid shipping at checkout as well, so the 53 euro was all tax. VAT is 23%, so why am I being charged so much tax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Roban wrote: »
    My parents ordered me a Rise lever weightlifting belt from canada, and it showed up at my door today. The delivery guy asked for 53 euros in tax, which is more than half of what the belt itself is worth. I think they paid shipping at checkout as well, so the 53 euro was all tax. VAT is 23%, so why am I being charged so much tax?

there are customs duties too, not just VAT

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Some delivery companies also charge a "handling charge" when they have to charge import duty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Everything brought into the country from outside the country is liable for duty and vat. The amount is (purchase price + shipping cost) + duty (anything from 0 to 13.5% depending on the item) + VAT of 23% on all of this. There is also a handling charge levied by the courier company/An Post. This charge can vary from €5 to €15.

It is random wether you get charged or not. Only so many parcels can be inspected. Anecdotal evidence would suggest that certain courier tend to attract duty and vat more than others. UPS are particularly bad. Deliveries via An Post are usually quite good at avoiding charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Better be knocking out some serious squat and deadlift numbers now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

When you're warming up to your new PR squat attempt, as you slide that belt around your waist just think of those smug postal people and Customs colluding to take your money... Those bastards... Let the hate flow through your veins and set that new PR.... Best overpriced belt you ever bought.... :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement