Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC again: ‘No whites need apply’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Europeans did it to every other continent on Earth. About time the chickens came home to roost.

This is madness, either we believe that every human is born with a clean slate or we have a system of inherited debt, which is it?

Not to mention some of these great European nations, did not colonize the world and were in fact the very same victims of colonisation. So how does that compute in your ledger of historical injustices?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Would you like to point out where i espouse White supremacy?

right above this post. Reacting to positive discrimination for minorities from disadvantaged backgrounds as racism was a tactic of the US far right and KKK to sow division based on the affirmative action programs in the 90s. Stormfront had entire forums based on it. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

I'm glad people like EnzoScifo are around to be honest about what's really going on here, that multiculturalism is colonisation, it is vengeance, and it is meant to be detrimental to the native people.

This is madness, either we believe that every human is born with a clean slate or we have a system of inherited debt, which is it?

Not to mention some of these great European nations, did not colonize the world and were in fact the very same victims of colonisation. So how does that compute in your ledger of historical injustices?

It computes that Irish should be acutely aware of the discrimination faced by immigrants in the job market and should support programs to help.

No blacks, no dogs, no Irish was the slogan. People here would be happy to show the sign now that the Irish part is gone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Having a few jobs in the bbc for minorities shouldn't be an issue, but white nativists are so insecure it's an outrage.
    If we play that game, can you not see how this ends up being a game of colourism? The Guardian article I linked to is an explainer if the term is new to anyone reading.

What happens when someone decides there are not enough people with an exact skin tone in the BBC? How do you end up policing that in your hiring policies without being called a racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm glad people like EnzoScifo are around to be honest about what's really going on here, that multiculturalism is colonisation, it is vengeance, and it is meant to be detrimental to the native people.

All modern social justice works like this. You could see it back in 2015 with feminism, where female sexism would often be justified on the basis of past sexism. It was never about fairness, it was always been about vengeance.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

right above this post. Reacting to positive discrimination for minorities from disadvantaged backgrounds as racism was a tactic of the US far right and KKK to sow division based on the affirmative action programs in the 90s. Stormfront had entire forums based on it. Congrats.

You're literally advocating for blood libel against Europeans. You're not well.

aka It was fine that white people were able to murder, pillage and rape with impunity around the world, but the minute that those who suffered move to colonial masters house to try to make a good life for themselves without the violence, rape and pillage part, it's revenge.

Says a lot more about the character of these people than the old colonial masters.

It computes that Irish should be acutely aware of the discrimination faced by immigrants in the job market and should support programs to help.

No blacks, no dogs, no Irish was the slogan. People here would be happy to show the sign now that the Irish part is gone.

This is almost a new level of mental gymnastics. We were discriminated, so we should support more discrimination?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

You're literally advocating for blood libel against Europeans. You're not well.

that sounded like it made sense in your head didn't it?

why do you have a victim mentality?

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Why do you think you have to "get hurt" to be disabled?

I think you're idea of what a disabled person is wildly twisted

13.5% of Irish society are disabled

I guess by definition disabled must be a minority otherwise what we see as a function or action that a human should be able to perform is incorrect as a large number of people cannot perform it. I'm not sure about "wildly twisted", that might be a bit of hyperbole for the word "incorrect". I'm not saying I expect all abled people to run 100m in 12 seconds but I really would have expected the status of disabled to be defined in such a way as to target about 5% of people who really cannot perform everyday simple tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Can anyone tell me, is there any difference between what the Daily Mail is criticising the BBC for doing, and what the Daily Mail does itself?

Can anyone tell me, is there any difference between what the Daily Mail is criticising the BBC for doing, and what the Daily Mail does itself?

There is not.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    This is almost a new level of mental gymnastics. We were discriminated, so we should support more discrimination?

discrimination can be positive and negative. Sounds like you're the one struggling with mental gymnastics to support your nativism. You're so ashamed of what you believe you try to make yourself feel better by dressing it up through cognitive dissonance.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I think it's reasonable to want the demographics of people on the TV to reflect the demographics of people in society.

There are very few black characters in kids books that aren't about social justice. I think that's sad. Why wouldn't you want to get books with kids that look like your kid without getting into race politics? My kid gets to imagine himself as all sorts of characters. (Then again he imagines himself as the black kid in A Snowy Day so it's probably another couple of years before they notice things like colour.)

Actually I think it's reasonable to want jobs in culture and society in generally to reflect the demographics of the population they serve. I'm not viewing it in terms of positive discrimination but rather as just having an effective cultural mirror, if that makes sense. It's not the same as something like computer programming, where the only factor is how well you can do the job.

that sounded like it made sense in your head didn't it?

why do you have a victim mentality?

But you have the victim mentality. You state that since the Irish were discriminated against we should support actions to redress the balance. But we don't feel like that, we see ourselves as peers, not victims, we don't allow things that happened before we were even born to affect how we value ourselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Stormfront had entire forums based on it.
    Wondering how you know what content is on Stormfront?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I'm not a huge fan of positive discrimination. It has problems and can mean the best person for the job may actually miss out (however, the best person may only be the best person because they had opportunities available to them that others may not have had, but let's park that for a moment).

However, for those saying this is wrong, I'd like to know what alternatives should be in place to ensure we have a fairer work work force/ society.

Or is it just a case of 'I don't like it, leave things as they are'.. because I don't think that cuts it anymore.

we don't allow things that happened before we were even born to affect how we value ourselves.

you are talking about us Irish here, right? Think about what you've said here for a second and come back to me.

Shield wrote: »
    Wondering how you know what content is on Stormfront?

Because I did a thesis on far right internet subcultures.

• Advertisement

Seek help

Glad to see that the only counterpoint you have to my arguments is to insinuate that I suffer from mental illness. Doesn't paint your view kindly.

Damn. I was hoping for secret far right Nazi figure.

discrimination can be positive and negative. Sounds like you're the one struggling with mental gymnastics to support your nativism. You're so ashamed of what you believe you try to make yourself feel better by dressing it up through cognitive dissonance.

This seriously sounds like a case of projection, considering your views. I'm not one bit ashamed of being a nativist. Why would I be? Caring about your people and your nation is one of the healthiest things in the world. I'll never be ashamed of that regardless of the howls of the modern world. The problem with black and white thinkers like yourself, is that you can't grasp simple concepts, like caring for your own, without hating the other. The world is not so simple, and it never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The acronym BBC is also used in other contexts :pac:

Haha oh my God. I hope you weren't government funded for that drivel.

you are talking about us Irish here, right? Think about what you've said here for a second and come back to me.

Yes, I believe that you might have a fundamental flaw in your sampling. You are gathering information from places where the vast majority of people never utter an opinion. You do not know how the majority of Irish people feel about history and about their self confidence in the world as Irish people. Even here you have a hugely biased sample of commentators.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Glad to see that the only counterpoint you have to my arguments is to insinuate that I suffer from mental illness. Doesn't paint your view kindly.

What counterpoint should i produce to a beloved trope of the Third Reich ie blood libel? You approve of racial discrimination, you think Europeans should pay for the sins of their fathers. Your views are very extreme.

Good on ya. That must have taken years of dedication. Respect.

• Advertisement

Hhhhh wrote: »
    Haha oh my God. I hope you weren't government funded for that drivel.

So we don't want people to study now as well?? Maybe we could start getting rid of books as well? I hear burning them is quite efficient, but it's tricky with eBooks etc.

Advertisement