Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Below Average Sten score 3

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

yellow hen wrote: »
    @hookorbycrook, the time you take to reply and help parents is tremendous. You're a wonderful advocate for children with extra/different learning needs. Thank you.

Thank you so much , but I’ve been lucky to be in a job I love and have learned so much from the entire educational community, parents , children and school staff that it’s good to be able to try to help where I can.I’m teaching over 30 years at this stage but am still learning.

ETA And I will add that I have made plenty mistakes along the way and when I think of some things I did down the years, I wonder what on earth I was thinking ! ( Though the trip around town in a Paddy Wagon , very much pre Health and Safety, was mighty craic! )

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭irishfemme

Thanks once again, I personally appreciate your input.
    Thank you so much , but I’ve been lucky to be in a job I love and have learned so much from the entire educational community, parents , children and school staff that it’s good to be able to try to help where I can.I’m teaching over 30 years at this stage but am still learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

gumgum1 wrote: »
    Hi
    Can I just jump in here please . Can you ask to look at your child's test paper. My child dropped two places in his English sten and I would like a look at his test to see were he went wrong . Can the school refuse to let me look at these test thanks and sorry for going off topic

The advice I was given by the ERC is that you can view the exam under the supervision of a teacher (the etiquette is to leave your phone with someone outside like reception or visibly on the table) .

You can also appoint someone who is qualified to review the test for you! But who has time or money for that.

It sounds strict but you could imagine the trouble it would cause if the questions became available online. People don't realise but a school can leave themselves open to legal proceedings by the companies who make these tests if they become compromised.

I'd be keen to see the tests myself also.
    It's a bit of a chore, but try and go over the homework when you get a chance, even if it's when the child has gone to bed you could go over one subject a night (should take about 10 minutes). Then do a bit of a catch uup the following day for 10 minutes. I kind of dropped the ball with my kids and assumed they were getting on grand so left the homework to them, but when I started to check it again it kind of put them on their toes a bit more etc.

Advertisement