Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help me spend my garage gym budget!

Options
  • 19-06-2021 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm moving house in the next month or so. I'll be lucky enough to have a large garage (steel shed with a concrete base,12m x 6m) that I want to use part of as a home gym. I enjoy lifting and go to the gym 5/6 days a week (well. pre-lockdown I did - easing my way back in since the reopening with 3 days a week).

I want to start with the basic equipment:

- Squat rack
    - Bench
    - Barbell, plates (~150kg) & collars
    - Flooring (Thinking stable mats and I might build a basic deadlift platform)
    - Dumbells & storage

Optional/maybe later purchases
    - Cable machine of some sort for crossovers & Lat pulldowns
    - Preacher curls attachment/bench
    - Leg extension / Leg curl machine or attachment

My budget is flexible enough but I don't think I'd want to spend more than 5k in total.

I've been doing a lot of browsing and my biggest questions are:
    1) Whether I should spend a little or a lot on the squat rack/bar/bench etc. Which elements from my list above are worth spending for quality vs spending less because it doesn't matter?
    2) Dumbells and plates - any recommendations for which brands / where to buy sets of these?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

dmigsy wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm moving house in the next month or so. I'll be lucky enough to have a large garage (steel shed with a concrete base,12m x 6m) that I want to use part of as a home gym. I enjoy lifting and go to the gym 5/6 days a week (well. pre-lockdown I did - easing my way back in since the reopening with 3 days a week).

I want to start with the basic equipment:

- Squat rack
    - Bench
    - Barbell, plates (~150kg) & collars
    - Flooring (Thinking stable mats and I might build a basic deadlift platform)
    - Dumbells & storage

Optional/maybe later purchases
    - Cable machine of some sort for crossovers & Lat pulldowns
    - Preacher curls attachment/bench
    - Leg extension / Leg curl machine or attachment

My budget is flexible enough but I don't think I'd want to spend more than 5k in total.

I've been doing a lot of browsing and my biggest questions are:
    1) Whether I should spend a little or a lot on the squat rack/bar/bench etc. Which elements from my list above are worth spending for quality vs spending less because it doesn't matter?
    2) Dumbells and plates - any recommendations for which brands / where to buy sets of these?

Cheers!

With that budget, do the whole lot of essentials from Blk Box. Make sure you are getting free shipping and opt to build around one of the bundles that has you saving 20%. Add 50kg plates. If it were me I would get gym tiles instead of horse mats.

You could save more by shopping around possibly but it will save you a headache and you won’t save that much more.

Advertisement