Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disintegrating Spoke Nipple

• 19-06-2021 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I was replacing a tubeless tyre on a carbon front wheel and part of my usual routine is using a plastic tyre lever to remove old sealant that has lodged under the rim edge. While doing this I heard a bang the cause of which was a nipple disintegrating. See photo.

Not sure why it happened then, I can only imagine it was already weakened and on the verge of going.

Anyhow, I had 2 spare spokes from the original wheelset and was able to replace the spoke. I just tightened the spoke until the wheel was mostly straight and usable again. I didn't touch any other spokes. It's not dead tru but may have been very slightly out anyway before the incident, I'm not sure. Anyway I'm reluctant to just keep tightening it to see if it comes any truer.  Apart from the spokes either side of the inserted spoke, the others spokes on that side of the wheel had the same sound when plucking them.

When the wheel was built would all spokes on the same side have very similar tension ?

I'm thinking of buying
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lifeline-spoke-tension-meter/rp-prod155417

and using it to ensure the tensions on the replaced spoke and those either side of it are in line with the rest on the side. Guess I'm looking for an opinion as to whether a fix as simple as this is likely to work ? I'm also wondering is the approach of just tightening the replaced spoke okay or is there usually more involved ?

Advertisement