Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

shorts in professional tournaments

• 18-06-2021 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Is there a reason why none of the Pros wear shorts during competitive rounds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Yes, they are not allowed to. Tour rules

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Silly stuff, should be doing everything to grow the game, local club here emailed members recently about members being spotted not wearing proper golf attire, so the PGA guys can go collarless, rakes in hoodies at The Open but we get emails about it.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Only in the last year they were permissioned to wear shorts in practice rounds.

Absolutely archaic rule by the way.

Probably will be allowed shorts in the next year-or-two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Thought that was the case but also sounded so stupid. Guess it makes them look smarter but agree that it probably doesn't look 'cool' to the new breed of golfers coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

slave1 wrote: »
    Silly stuff, should be doing everything to grow the game, local club here emailed members recently about members being spotted not wearing proper golf attire, so the PGA guys can go collarless, rakes in hoodies at The Open but we get emails about it.

Collarless golf shirts (they still have a collar) and hoodies are proper golf attire.

To be honest, I'd just ban GAA, Football, Rugby etc... branded clothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The fact that they're expected to wear long pants in July/August in places like Memphis and New York is ludicrous. The heat in those places is unbelievable that time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

nah rugby should be fine.......

nah rugby should be fine.......

That sentence has just summed up why it’s the worst. No difference in either

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Collarless golf shirts (they still have a collar) and hoodies are proper golf attire.

Hoodies are only golf attire in recent times and only because some players decided to wear them, once shorts are allowed they'll all be wearing them in warm conditions and that will then be "golf attire"

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That sentence has just summed up why it’s the worst. No difference in either

it was a joke.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

Such a stupid rule. They could be playing in 40 degrees and have to wear long trousers.

And clubs having dress codes is stupid really. You're walking down fairways, not catwalks.

it was a joke.....

I know but there are plenty that do distinguish. I know a few in my own club giving out about others while they proudly wearing some sort of Leinster apparel.

I know but there are plenty that do distinguish. I know a few in my own club giving out about others while they proudly wearing some sort of Leinster apparel.

in fairness, once its not an actual jersey it should be fine, most of the polos are fairly simple and without sponsors. i dont really know what the GAA/soccer ones look like (most of their gear is horrendous and covered in random sponsors but that might just be jerseys) but if its just a polo with a badge/crest then it should be allowed

What's wrong with a jersey? We might not like the look of them, but I don't particularly like the look of golf gillets. Things shouldn't be banned because we don't like the look of them.

And there's an element of the pros looking a bit stupid playing in mid 30 degree heat sometimes in long pants. If you had mid 30s weather here and saw someone walking around in long pants I'd judge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

in fairness, once its not an actual jersey it should be fine, most of the polos are fairly simple and without sponsors. i dont really know what the GAA/soccer ones look like (most of their gear is horrendous and covered in random sponsors but that might just be jerseys) but if its just a polo with a badge/crest then it should be allowed

If your judging by looks then jasus some of the golf gear you see lads wearing on course in horrendous! I got pulled up last year by some lad for wearing a 3/4 zip gaa top. It was basically a plain navy top with crest!! While he was wearing some form of woolen/cashmere jumper I wouldn't put on the dog at home, you have to laugh at some of these lads...

Also you do realise there is sponsors on all rugby jerseys and top to?

jerseys yes but other stuff tends to not have anything other than the manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

And most pro golfers shirts are essentially walking billboards

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm all for a bit of standard / formality around the golf club, without it being overly fussy. There's a great selection of golf gear to cater for young and old, all styles and sizes, all price brackets.

It's nice to keep a bit of class and style about the game. I think it's only a matter of time before they let the pros wear shorts, they don't do anything to bring down these standards imo.

Middle of the road opinion from me, I think. No sports jersey but also no requirement for a sports jacket in the Clubhouse would be where I'm at.

In a world where we get to see people in their pyjamas doing their shopping, it's nice to have some semi formal standards at the golf club.

And most pro golfers shirts are essentially walking billboards
    this is true i suppose, at least they tend not to have one masive one across the chest like jerseys do. still, probably only a matter of time

• Advertisement

556562.JPG

That's the Galway top I wear, I see no difference!!

apologies to harp on to you like this, but the golf attire c**p really gets me. Especially when its coming form lads that are going around in stuff from the 90's out there!!!

556562.JPG

That's the Galway top I wear, I see no difference!!

apologies to harp on to you like this, but the golf attire c**p really gets me. Especially when its coming form lads that are going around in stuff from the 90's out there!!!

Neither of those should be allowed in a club. I'm one for relaxing the rules and the nearer golf gear is really nice but you have to draw the line. The line can't be ambiguous so it has to be no to all otherwise you need to let the english football jersey crowd in too.

It's up to individual clubs but IMO if you want to wear rugby gear, then go play rugby. Don't get me started on grown men walking around in replica jerseys either.

But why shouldn't they be allowed?

Neither of those should be allowed in a club

in fairness im not a big fan of the 'leinster' down the front, the previous version was basically the same thing minus that and id see no problem there

Neither of those should be allowed in a club. I'm one for relaxing the rules and the nearer golf gear is really nice but you have to draw the line. The line can't be ambiguous so it has to be no to all otherwise you need to let the english football jersey crowd in too.

It's up to individual clubs but IMO if you want to wear rugby gear, then go play rugby. Don't get me started on grown men walking around in replica jerseys either.

But why should they be allowed?? As I pointed out some of the "official" golf gear I see on lads out there is hideous and belongs in the 90's!!!

But why should they be allowed?? As I pointed out some of the "official" golf gear I see on lads out there is hideous and belongs in the 90's!!!

It can't be down to advertising either. Plenty of lads wearing the polo with the company logo they got at a golf day.

blue note wrote: »
    It can't be down to advertising either. Plenty of lads wearing the polo with the company logo they got at a golf day.

At the bottom of it all its just down to an archaic snobbery that will hopefully die out soon as the younger generation of golfer has very little time for it. The old grey haired white man in the suits brigade time is coming ti an end...

Because you have to draw the line somewhere and it has to be fair/unambiguous.

It can't be rugby branded clothing good and GAA/english soccer bad which seem to be the line a lot of people see. Especially in my own club where people had to be reminded.

There was also a perceived class thing behind some of it in our place too which needed to be stamped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Was thinking just this at the weekend, they should be allowed wear shorts.

Re the ordinary golfer, I definitely would have an issue with wearing a sports coat in a golf club. For a start, I would have to buy one. Secondly, I think it sounds a bit pretentious and old f-art ish. Thirdly, I think it would turn a lot of people off a club or going for a drink after a round if that was the sort of snootiness that was around.

That said, I'd hate to go in to a bar and see tracksuit bottoms and jerseys.

I'm sure as with everything else, a happy middle ground can be found.

• Advertisement

At the bottom of it all its just down to an archaic snobbery that will hopefully die out soon as the younger generation of golfer has very little time for it. The old grey haired white man in the suits brigade time is coming ti an end...

I wouldn't phrase it like that.

I was just talking over the weekend about how every sport thinks it's amazing. In rugby you seem to have an historic result a few times a year. In hurling it's the greatest game in the world, fastest field sport etc. In soccer it's the biggest sport in the world. I'm sure every sport has something similar.

In golf you hear so much about the tradition of the game, the etiquette in the game and how noble it is that it can be self governed. In reality, it's just not feasible to have a ref with every group and we all acknowledge from time to time that cheating is probably quite common.

But definitely, the air of sophistication, refinement, integrity is how golf views itself as the best sport. And having people dressed in a semi formal way feeds helps this.

It's probably quite a healthy thing that every sport thinks they're the best. But it is all nonsense. Although I will admit to nodding along when people wax lyrical about a great game of hurling.

Advertisement