Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juneteenth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

spurious wrote: »
    Amazed the end of slavery was not already celebrated/commemorated, but 'Juneteenth'? It sounds terrible. Not an appropriate name for such a serious commemoration, I think.

Good Friday should be reassigned to June 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Akrasia wrote: »
    Forget June 19th. There should be a public holiday on July 19th. The day the ice age ended

Not to mention Galway being liberated from Indians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Are people also aware that there is a celebration called Kwanzaa which is essentially "black Christmas".

It originated in 1966 are part of the Black Power movement and was a reaction to Christmas being too white.

It runs from Dec 26th to Jan 1st.

I wonder how long it will take that to become a federal holiday, because right now Dec 26th (Stephen Day/ Boxing Day) is not a day off in America.

Kwanzaa? Futurama thought me that!

FantasticNiceAlbacoretuna-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

What about the poor native Americans? They got an absolute grueller.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Amazed the end of slavery was not already celebrated/commemorated, but 'Juneteenth'? It sounds terrible. Not an appropriate name for such a serious commemoration, I think.

That's like saying Brexit is inappropriate to describe such a serious subject as the British Exit from the European Union, because it sounds terrible. If Juneteenth gains currency it will become totally unremarkable.

• Advertisement

I think maybe it's best to let those who have the most to celebrate on the day to decide the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

We we ready have black Friday? The Yanks can keep their holidays.

I dunno. I'd take an extra public holiday at the drop of a hat. Don't give 2 you know what's as to the reason/name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That's like saying Brexit is inappropriate to describe such a serious subject as the British Exit from the European Union, because it sounds terrible. .

Its also not correct seeing as the whole of the UK left, not just Britain.

But then, they dont care much for the north at the best of times anyway.......

I hope they use this day to pay tribute to the hundreds of thousands of white soldiers who died trying to end slavery, in the Civil War. Rather than using it as yet another excuse to bash all white people.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Is this the most idiotic name for a holiday?

JUNETEENTH.

Celebrate the day that blacks were liberated but don't give it some inane label like "juneteenth".

It's as bad as "freedom fries" or "brangelina".

Juneteenth??

Call it a proper day like "Freedom from slavery day", or "anti-scumbag day"

Are you American, or living in America or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I hope they use this day to pay tribute to the hundreds of thousands of white soldiers who died trying to end slavery, in the Civil War.

That’s what Memorial Day was originally for, and is still an element of.

That’s what Memorial Day was originally for, and is still an element of.

Fair enough. Still think it bears repeating that white Americans, including thousands of Irish emigrants, suffered and died fighting to end slavery. It gets forgotten a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Stupid name. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Is this the most idiotic name for a holiday?

JUNETEENTH.

Celebrate the day that blacks were liberated but don't give it some inane label like "juneteenth".

It's as bad as "freedom fries" or "brangelina".

Juneteenth??

Call it a proper day like "Freedom from slavery day", or "anti-scumbag day"

I prefer Juneteenth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Juneteenth.....is that the day Marathon became Snickers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Juneteenth.....is that the day Marathon became Snickers?
    And Mars became snunderpants….

Advertisement