Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cliched Phrases on Boards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Marxist - usually used by someone who doesn't know what they're on about.

Cultural marxist - usually used by someone who really doesn't know what they're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

wait until yous hear some rugby commentry.....buzzword central :yawn:

They're in every sport.

Every pack needs someone with a bit of 'mungrel' in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Basically, I say basically far too often so basically its a word I try and avoid using on Boards.

Wake me up when it's all over.

They're in every sport.

Every pack needs someone with a bit of 'mungrel' in them.

the "off load" would known as a pass in every other sport :pac:

Whole rugby sport is a buzzword marketers dream

Though the 'PC brigade' seems to been decommissioned in exchange for the equally secretive and elusive 'cancel culture'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

"You couldn't make it up". Usually said in relation to something that could, indeed, quite easily be made up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Can't believe I'm paying a license fee for this

Though the 'PC brigade' seems to been decommissioned in exchange for the equally secretive and elusive 'cancel culture'

The offload would be a pass released as your taking contact, as opposed to in space don't mind it.

Diti Hamann was a divil for the player 'did ever so well' in football.

The 'gain line' gets a bit repetitive in rugby but all sports have these phrases.

Mick Dowling in boxing, 'he's a slippery customer'.

Can't believe I'm paying a license fee for this

Often followed on the LLS by 'the misery section'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Wow, just wow. I can’t stand that one.

I can't think of any Boards specific cliches but I would like to tell anybody reading this to blast yourself with piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

"Is that even a thing?"

Curious phrase almost exclusively uttered by the 25 and under age group, completely American and extremely irritating. I suspect some crap sitcom from the States gave birth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The pc brigade was everywhere a while ago. And now completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

This one badly grinds my gears. Lads using "woke" to describe notions of civil rights that have been around since at least the late 1960s.

It's all down to the "PC lobby", you see. There was no "fairness" when they were kids, and that's as it should be.

I believe this post is what's called "dogwhistling" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Road tax - we all know what the poster means but always followed by

There is no "road tax" or something similar

Is that a chiche?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

'FYP' - Fix your own post ya prick.

'Is all' at the end of a sentence.

'I see what you did there'

'Neckbeard/bootcut jeans/checked shirt' stereotype of a supposed typical male poster that seems to exclusively consume pizza and coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

/thread

No, I don't mean that this thread is over. I HATE that phrase! Sometimes it's posted as a joke. but there's plenty of times when some smartarse is convinced that their opinion is the most important and correct ever stated and that everyone else should bow down to them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This thread is for discussing cliched phrases. It is not to be used to target specific users and their posting styles.

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Free houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Free houses.

.... Or forever homes....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"the left"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Strawman.
    Simples.
    End of.
    Get a grip.
    West Brit.
    Sheeple.
    Gubberment.
    Mehole (Martin)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

"Never heard of them".

Always used by an poster who thinks they're edgy when a celebrity passes away or makes the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

“But you knew that didn’t you”

Nearly every thread after it descends into sniping at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

murpho999 wrote: »
    "Never heard of them".

Always used by an poster who thinks they're edgy when a celebrity passes away or makes the news.

Who?

Woke and snowflake are often used as a cover all. I don't mind woke personally. Think snowflake is used as a put down for someone you don't agree with, often in a bullying way.
    Yeah I often see snowflake used by very right-wing types - Gemma sypporter level - for nothing other than being disagreed with.

But yeah woke is a thing - no matter what the tediously dismissive and sneering keep telling themselves. It's a stupid word all right and like any buzzword will be misused, but it refers to nonsense like a pile-on on JK Rowling for simply saying biology can't be denied (the misogyny she experienced! But THAT misogyny is OK) or me being called a fascist (yeah because clearly I'm a big fan of Mussolini and Oswald Moseley) for holding the same view as her.

It's the likes of a woman's employer being bullied into announcing on social media that they fired her (I mean, is that even legal?) She was a racist arsehole but the way it escalated into her employer being held accountable... this is what people mean by using the w word.

It's denial of actual problems disproportionately occurring in particular communities - and referring to acknowledgement of this as bigotry.

It's nothing to do with civil rights - utterly beyond me how someone could come to that conclusion. Few would take issue with civil rights. It's about taking individual views in isolation that are conservative or even just in the centre - or neither, just the truth - and claiming they make someone a bigot, and calling for that person to be punished. It is NOT a term for someone who criticises actual bigots (you're not woke if you call Gemma O'Doherty and John Waters dreadful bigots - even if some eejits misuse the term, that is not what woke is).

'Neckbeard/bootcut jeans/checked shirt' stereotype of a supposed typical male poster that seems to exclusively consume pizza and coke.
    I do not understand what the issue is with bootcut jeans (aka jeans) and I suspect a number who jump on the "boot cut jeans are terrible" bandwagon don't either. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Strawman.
    Simples.
    End of.
    Get a grip.
    West Brit.
    Sheeple.
    Gubberment.
    Mehole (Martin)

"Simples"

I utterly detest those ads with that cgi talking rat thing to begin with so don't get me started on people who use that idiotic catchphrase.

Is shinner still constantly used to bully people who simply criticise the grotesque behaviour of the security forces towards nationalists back in the day?

The cringe inducing ‘coke and hookers’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

"Simples"

This usually follows some ridiculously complex idea reduced to a single line

"All the government need to do is raise corporate tax by 10%, build 20000 houses and revert to the old health board system. Simples."

Advertisement