Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My next EV

Options
  • 16-06-2021 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I
    Hi I have a 171, 30kw Nissan Leaf and I love it cannot see me ever going back to ICE. IT HAS ABOUT 60K done and I am thinking g of "upgrading". Bigger battery longer range etc My budget , somewhere between 20k and 25k I am assuming a trade in value of 15k on top of that for the leaf this could be new or second hand car.What SEAI grants do you get for your second EV What would you guys suggest.The only something slight whinge I have with the leaf is the boot is a tad small

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

discostu1 wrote: »
    I
    Hi I have a 171, 30kw Nissan Leaf and I love it cannot see me ever going back to ICE. IT HAS ABOUT 60K done and I am thinking g of "upgrading". Bigger battery longer range etc My budget , somewhere between 20k and 25k I am assuming a trade in value of 15k on top of that for the leaf this could be new or second hand car.What SEAI grants do you get for your second EV What would you guys suggest.The only something slight whinge I have with the leaf is the boot is a tad small

Only grant is in new cars now. Charger grant is tied to the mprn of the house I believe

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What range are you looking to get? For 40k you're in id4 and Skoda enyaq territory.

Good spec id4 with "350km" range (more like 280km in reality) is under 40k.

Zero spec enyaq with 500km range (400 in reality) is under 40k too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭zg3409

If your budget is 35 to 40k then there are lots of new options. Typically the advertised price includes all grants seai etc. If buying new again grant is included. If buying used the old purchaser got grant on new car.

You could switch from a 30kWh leaf to a bigger battery leaf. The Kona is smaller, niro about the same but would be above 35k. You might get used one. They both have 64kWh batteries (there is smaller battery ex dealer demo models)

The mg zs ev is available new in ROI but battery is quite small 44kWh and around 30k new. They are Chinese built and may not be as refined or slick as leaf.

https://www.mg.ie/model/mg-zs-ev?gclid=CjwKCAjwwqaGBhBKEiwAMk-FtD9bux2z-X3wKoxVTXVnJavxcwhLURi6jNY_uan4VyiZsTTgQV1R1xoCLU0QAvD_BwE

There are some smaller battery cars that might be in your budget such as corsa e 50kWh battery for about 30k. Maybe look at Peugeot, Renault Zoe (small) etc.

You will probably get better value used, and cars with 60kWh or more batteries are likely to hold their value more. Skoda and VW have new cars out or out shortly but may be above your budget. Newer models may hold values better than new purchases of old styles that may seem dated.

It's likely depreciation might be a factor, particularly in year one, if more choice is around when you go to sell.

You really need to decide if you need the range of a 60+kWh battery, or can live with less. How often do you need to public charge your existing car and how often will you if you have a bigger battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I

If you need a bigger boot than the Leaf then you can discount the Kona, smaller boot despite being a bigger car

Ioniq38 is a good option but I think the fast charging isn't brilliant

ID.3 is probably similar sized boot to the Leaf but more range and better charging within your budget

ID.4 has more range, charges faster and has more space both in the boot and for passengers. I went from Leaf to ID.4 1st Max and I'm loving it

Peugeot e2008 is a bit of an unsung hero I think. Decent battery and fast charging for the price

E-Niro is very efficient but I think it's starting to feel a bit dated, especially with the fast charging speed

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I

I think you can forget about that €15k trade in, I sold my 162 30kW Leaf privately as I was getting insulting trade in values.
    I looked at ID3 (too basic) Peugeot e208 (too small) and Ioniq 38 (loaded but not the range jump I was looking for and "slow" fast charging).
    Kona may have a smaller boot but serious range, 420kms+ this weather.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Most dealers seem to be selling 171 leafs for about 12-15k. I just bought one in Jan that was advertised at 15k so you probably should be expecting to get closer to 10-11k on trade in off a dealer. Definitely try a few places though, trading in my previous car I was offered, 2.5k, 3k, 3k and 6.5k. My father a few years ago got offered, 5k, 7k and 10.5k on a car. Trade in offers can be wildly different from dealers, even towards similarly priced cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Thank you all for the very informative replies. I rarely use the public charging network (who has in the last 15 months with little travel ) however I rethink due to staycations and doing family circumstances I will be travelling further . I am based in Cork but have elderly family in Dublin.
    Some very good suggestions.I like the data on the Eygay but it looks very wife wouldn't be a fan.
    Has anyone any thoughts on the Nissan 62 kw Leaf or experience of the real range of a 40is Leaf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭sh81722

Thank you all for the very informative replies. I rarely use the public charging network (who has in the last 15 months with little travel ) however I rethink due to staycations and doing family circumstances I will be travelling further . I am based in Cork but have elderly family in Dublin.
    Some very good suggestions.I like the data on the Eygay but it looks very wife wouldn't be a fan.
    Has anyone any thoughts on the Nissan 62 kw Leaf or experience of the real range of a 40is Leaf ?

The only longish trip on our soon ex. 181 L40 recently was trip from Leixlip-Westport return which is 238 km each way. That can comfortably be done with one 20 minute stop each way at Longford driving at speed limit (indicated +5-10 km/h).

The realistic range of L40 is about 180 km in summer going at real speeds and overtaking any slower moving traffic. In regular N roads without M driving it does over 200 km in summer easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭turnfan

I wouldn't change until you actually do a few staycations and see what you really need.
    It could be the case you don't need to upgrade at all.
    Keep that 20k cash in your pocket.

Have you the use of an ICE for any emergency trip?

However I think if you get a new ENiro, you'd be covered for bootspace and range and budget (you should sell the Leaf privately ), i think there is 0% HP on new ones if you wanted to spread the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I feel like the Leaf62 is a bad deal considering more advanced cars can be had with similar range for a similar price

The Leaf40 is similar but you can often swing a better deal, esp on a 2nd hand one. The cheapest Leaf40 on Donedeal at the moment is asking for under €17k. If you sold the Leaf30 privately for €12k that's only €5k from your savings for a big range increase

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I feel like the Leaf62 is a bad deal considering more advanced cars can be had with similar range for a similar price
    +1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement