Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Earth for a electric fencer.

• 14-06-2021 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭ Dupont

Got a pel solar powered electric fencer and was wondering how many earth bars are people using and how deep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭ emaherx

Dupont wrote: »
    Got a pel solar powered electric fencer and was wondering how many earth bars are people using and how deep.

For how many acres and how many joules?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭ Dupont

emaherx wrote: »
    For how many acres and how many joules?

It says it will cover a maximum of 8 acres and .5 joules output. At the minute I’ll be using it for 50 metres of electrified chicken net wire and I hope to get some calves on the field and was thinking of 2 strands of poly wire for that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭ _Brian

It says it will cover a maximum of 8 acres and .5 joules output. At the minute I’ll be using it for 50 metres of electrified chicken net wire and I hope to get some calves on the field and was thinking of 2 strands of poly wire for that

For your use you describe one Earth bar would be fine.

If you were using the fence at its maximum the recommended is 3 i1 meter long earths 1 meter apart from each other.

_Brian wrote: »
    For your use you describe one Earth bar would be fine.

If you were using the fence at its maximum the recommended is 3 i1 meter long earths 1 meter apart from each other.

Will ordinary mild steel solid round bar do?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭ _Brian

Galvanised would be best but you will get away with regular bar.

Didn’t the fencer not come with an Earth ?

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Galvanised would be best but you will get away with regular bar.

Didn’t the fencer not come with an Earth ?

No just the leads to connect it to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler

Will ordinary mild steel solid round bar do?

The Rust that forms as a skin around the mild steel is a poor conductor of electricity so reducing the effectiveness of your earthing system creating a poor conducting barrier between the metal and the ground. Mild Steel rods should only be used as a temporary measure.

Advertisement