Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiggle sold to europe

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't think it's even being pro-Brexit or anti- in every case. There's a long-standing vagueness about NI (and the republic) and to many people who grow up in GB there's a tendency to find the whole subject confusing and even boring, they don't feel enticed into looking into it very far.

This seems nuts when you're talking about real money, but (getting away from the NI angle on Brexit) the CEO of Brompton was incredibly sanguine about Brexit, and didn't seem to have looked into the ramifications much at all till it really started hitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well it is still taking a lot of UK companies a long time to catch up. Just in the bike market, pretty much any chinese/ asian frame seller is able to sort customs handling into the EU. Planet X belatedly is, Ribble don't (from what you can see on the site at least) so you're basically taking a chance on final cost.

He also lived and still lives in Monaco.

Post edited by Macy0161 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

Likewise Dyson. And he upped sticks and headed for Singapore (epitome of all flash and no substance products - having owned a number of them and had them fail just after going out of warranty for the most part)

There really doesn't seem to have been much common sense portrayed by Wiggle management. Aside from the utter stupidity of not recognising the NI advantage (the merger was approved in July 2016, so they should have had time to hedge their bets) it also escaped their attention that merging 2 800lb gorillas that competed with each other on price and inventory might generate economies in the latter though losing the impetus of the former

Still, I'm sure the private equity mob did well out of it, so that's grand (and of course the Watson family which is actually grand - fair play to them)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Still, I'm sure the private equity mob did well out of it, so that's grand (and of course the Watson family which is actually grand - fair play to them)

You mean like Jacob Rees Mogg?

The main reason behind Brexit was a combination of trying (unsuccesfully) to prevent Tory in-fighting coupled with Tory donors wanting a removal of those nasty EU pro-consumer and pro-H&S rules.

It is surprising that management in many firms that were heavily involved in trading with other EU members (for buying stock and selling end products) that they were completely ill-prepared for the exit. I'd like to think that had I been involved in managing a large firm like Wiggle, I'd have examined any potential solution to the oncoming mess before Brexit was "done".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

In a master stroke of not knowing their own history, aside from the made up H&S stuff from the British red tops, the Brits were actually drivers of H&S for over a century, long before we or many of our EU counterparts were. In fact, based on my quite rudimentary knowledge of H&S legislation, without the Brits, many of would still only be playing catch up to such legislation now. The idea that it would somehow all disappear is laughable, not to mention that data has shown time and time again that while H&S feels like a hinderance and a drain on resources, in the long run, those with goo H&S records are more stable and more profitable. in the western world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I returned something under warranty to them in September. I was looking for a replacement but the sent me a refund about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I was a bit annoyed at first as I had gotten the item on sale and had actually wanted it - but when I saw they were in administration, I think I was lucky to get it!

It's more of the same with the current nonsense about the ECHR (which has FA to do with the EU) but the current government would like to see rid of because it interferes with their plans to make the wealthy even wealthier. I this this sums up the farce...

Anyhow, we're not in the Politics forum I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd go along with the general mood of this thread in having little sympathy for the pro Brexit British in general, the management of firms like Wiggle nor the cycling industry overall who have been taking the piss on prices for the last three years especially - but I don't think the Chinese comparison is fair. What many of those companies are doing is fraud, pure and simple.

Either more sophisticated shipping from inside the EU but without any clarity on where import duties have been paid, or just under declaring value and hoping for the best.

I had this issue with a large frame manufacturer last week - I asked if they would ship from the EU, they said no but don't worry you probably won't get caught and if you do we will just say it cost 200$

The ones I'm talking about are shipping via DPD, no under declaration. No different from Aliexpress (most route via Netherlands). I can't remember the last time I was hit for customs from asia. I know a few people that have ordered frames without issue - it's not like you can sneak a frame through customs, especially with the added potential of anti-dumping tax. (having said that, I am still keeping a buffer for getting hit).

From the UK, I've had a number of places (non-bike stuff) saying if you get caught for extra we'll give you a credit note. And that's been from .ie websites!

I love it, and it wasn't even close to covering a minute percentage of what Europe has done for them and they have done for the Europe.

• Advertisement

The CRC store in Belfast is being axed. I guess it was only a matter of time, though you have to feel for the staff - it was a fine store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

I have 2 wiggle gift cards that I've just realised I can no longer use now as they're not doing international shipping.....

Emailed them but what chance do I have of getting the money back on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Know anyone in the North that you could use as a shipping address?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I was wondering today, why are both the Wiggle and CRC websites still operating?

Would one or the other or a combination of both not do the same job and result in a cost saving?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I've used oohpod for a few things that were easier shipped to the North.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They don't ship loads of things to Ireland. Had jetblack volts at a stupidly good price and they wouldn't ship due to weight. Same with loads of bikes.

Plus his track record with some brands is make them for as cheap as possible

That's the final nail in the coffin to Wiggle but it was already dead in everything but name. And by that I mean CRC. I feel bad for the staff/original owners as I hear commentators saying it was always doomed to fail but that's not true. CRC built a phenomenal business, brand and were rock solid. It's only when Wiggle bought them out, funds shifting debt etc that it all went to hell. Anyway, not a post about anything of note other than I don't like the fact that some are saying CRC as a business model was always going to fail and I vehemently disagree. The funds and management companies that bought and sold quite a few businesses playing spinning plates were always doomed to fail but don't take away from the epic achievement that a bike shop achieved with what can only be described as shrewd and sound business choices.

CRC still based in the North would've been in given, as the pro-brexit UK PM said Sunak (🤡) recently "Northern Ireland is in the unbelievably special position"

• Advertisement

This. CRC had from what I can see a fairly tight ship up north before being bought out. I was never in it, but I believe their previous showroom north of Belfast was great, The Boucher Road one which closed its doors recently was also a fairly impressive unit and the staff were helpful.

You have to tip your hats to the founders - they built it from a small LBS to become one of the top global online cycling businesses with seriously competitive price. From their point of view selling up with the merger probably made perfect financial sense, and it was the usual loading of debt, racheting up of prices since they were no longer competitors, and general involvement of our free market masters that turned it all to sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Has anyone bought from Wiggle using a parcel motel type arrangement, something pod??? Some outrageously low prices at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ooohpod don't do cross border shipping. There's one crowd who seen to be a DIY, at home organisation and a few others than you can collect from on the border

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

real shame, remember buying from their adverts in the back of cycling weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ya I remember that too, when I had to order over the phone as I wasn't using Internet at that stage. was also paying with postal orders from the Post Office as I hadn't a credit card! God I'm old.

I knew them well enough to have parts shipped before payment was sent, I remember getting a frame sent so I could review it in person before I paid. I knew them by name, Chris, Michael & Janice if I remember correctly. Another time I sent a frame up to have a headset installed and frame shipped back all at the cost of just the new headset I bought from them

Looks like they're on their way back with website relaunches next week (although pretty much all the staff were made redundant just before Ashley bought it so not sure how quick they will fulfill new orders)...

I stopped using CRC shortly after Brexit (mainly because what I was after became more expensive, etc). Now that Ahsley is involved, I can't see myself using it and I take it for granted that quality will also deteriorate under the new ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

They’ll be selling Slazenger and everlast cycling gear along with Dunlop tyres all made cheap as chips in China.

Advertisement