Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2020 - AH Official Thread *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Customary Italia 90 jersey….

557853.jpeg

And the red head in front of him… I’m going on a limb here and saying he’s also a Paddy.

Bomber Liston mentioned the Kerry lad on his Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

dinorebel wrote: »
    When England played 4 or 5 debutantes due to covid and Maguire was sent off?

That's the one alright.

Look, I expect England to win tomorrow, but I don't think a shock would be all that shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Arghus wrote: »
    That's the one alright.

Look, I expect England to win tomorrow, but I don't think a shock would be all that shocking.

Going for Denmark because of the Spurs connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

If I was asked to put "your mortgage" on one team tomorrow, I would put it on England.

They have travelled comfortably enough through this tourney, including navigating Germany( always a nervous game), conceded no goals and they also have some individual talent in the team (a match winner in a tight game).

Philips and Rice are giving their defense extra cover.

Yet, the expectations seem to be that it was either Italy or Spain in a final. Both two teams that England would have a healthy respect /fear of meeting.

Their media seem to be dismissing the Danes.

Denmark must be lapping up the coverage. England must be feeling the weight of expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Denmark must be lapping up the coverage. England must be feeling the weight of expectation.

Why would this be the case? Id imagine nerves will be a factor in both camps and i envisage a game that will reflect this, with england coming through in a similar fashion as they did against the czechs, albeit after losing the clean sheet record maybe. If that comes to pass I think they will win it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Why would this be the case? Id imagine nerves will be a factor in both camps and i envisage a game that will reflect this, with england coming through in a similar fashion as they did against the czechs, albeit after losing the clean sheet record maybe. If that comes to pass I think they will win it out.

On paper ,in the media, England are a shoe - in. Defeat to Italy is acceptable. Defeat tomorrow would be a deflating bubble-bursting anti-climax.

If Carlsberg did Semi-Finals ..........

Night-Night...Brazil V Argentina final in the Copa America ( Argentina through on pens.). Been a long night for me...see ya all tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭StevenToast

England are the gift that keep on giving!

THANK YOU ITALY!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

So much has happened since this site went offline.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

At least John Delaney got good seats at the final…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

maybe he led the charge of the ticketless😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

England will never have a better chance this decade. A bit more ambition and that Italian side could have been put to the sword in the first half.

Apparently Southgate chose the penalty takers and the order they went in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

England got the goal and dominated the 1st half looking great for a win, but then went totally flat in the 2nd half, Italy started to fizz and even thought they didn't score, they deserved the win IMO.

Did anyone else not the calf muscles on Jack Grealish? WTF unreal 😃

Can't find EDIT mode, so Iv'e posted the last line again!

Did anyone else notice the calf muscles on Jack Grealish? WTF unreal 

Post edited by Hamsterchops on

Sorry about the big smiley face, no idea why its there either?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm still salty that the site went offline at the crunch time for this tournament, but anyway....

I'm happy that England lost. Though I do feel for the players that missed penalties, especially Saka. It's a very cruel way for things to have finished. And I like Southgate as an individual, he does conduct himself with a lot of class. And I can imagine all the disappointment and hurt felt by lots of ordinary decent English people at the manner of the loss.

But, unfortunately, there's all the rest of it. The yobbishness, the hype, the sense of entitlement... all of that is part of it too and I was glad to see all of that get nothing.

Though when the dust settles I think this tournament will be looked back as a success for England. Okay, the hype and expectation was increasingly unhinged as the knock outs went on, but to get to the final represents progress. A semi final and a final in successive tournaments is pretty good. They'll fancy their chances for the World Cup and I think they'll genuinely have a chance too, the team will have more maturity, the squad is full of players at the right age and I'd imagine Southgate will have learned as well. On paper, they should be contenders.

Italy were deserving winners. Even if certain aspects of what they did left a bad taste on the night. I know Chiellini pulling back Saka when he was through was comedy gold, but it was a dirty cynical move as well and I thought Jorginho's tackle on Grealish was a straight red.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Incidentally did anyone catch wind of this?

A bit curious since the two teammates just prior scored. To follow it up with the three “black” lads missing in sequence making me very heavy on the pocket was some weird kismet man…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I get annoyed by some of the articles I've read that insinuate that an irish person getting pleasure from english failure is due to a feeling of inferiority and that we should congratulate and support our neighbors. I mean, Italians are our neighbors too no? And surely if you do feel happy you should express it instead of hiding it, hiding it would surely be a greater sign of low self confidence. So what is the argument here, feel ashamed for having a feeling of schadenfreude? No, I love it, let them lose and fail for the rest of time, they are not my friends, they don't care about me, I don't care about them. Why do I have to pretend otherwise? We are talking about sport here also, it is literally the civilized invention for dealing with tribalism in a non violent way. Here is an example of the nonsense, where revelry in another's sporting failure is equated with endangering the peace in another's country through indifference to a border that they created. Have we gone mad?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/the-anyone-but-the-english-crowd-look-exactly-like-the-brexiteers-1.4620461

So is the official football forum still MIA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Is was a cowardly performance tactically from England. They were at home and tried to defend a 1 goal lead from the 2nd minute. It just can't be done.

Italy were rattled initially but England were too afraid to take the next step. Football won in the end.

150k people have since signed a petition demanding the game to be replayed due to Italy's gamesmanship too. Almost as embarrassing as the 33rd team saga.

Something that strikes me in football the inferior side usually comes firing out the traps; get the jump on the opposition before it settles and reality kicks in and when it did there were times Italy looked like Spain, such was their possession it was the case with Denmark too before jet lag caught up and even 6 substitutions weren’t enough with them playing on with just 10. England created nothing there either, an own goal and a cheated penalty (missed)... What baffles me with the england teams, I mean I don’t even watch their qualifiers it’s boring them storm them so easy so what happens when they reach the finals?

Is it just tactical ineptitude. We know for a fact those three fear dubh were only brought on specifically to take penalty kicks; they all sequentially missed culminating in the most bitterest finalè England likely ever will suffer so what gives with this Southgate fella? Is he overrated or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pat_bottom

There is a sports category of sorts with united and Liverpool threads but can't access it. Not sure what the process is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭patmac

Yeah if you listened to RTE you'd swear it was 50-50, when in reality it was more like Denmark's poll of 94-6 in favour of Italy.

But then RTE are so far removed from reality it was almost making supporting England 'woke' . BTW I've no problem with people supporting England as long as people have no problem with me supporting their opponents.

It's amazing to think Italy played rings around England while in possession of the ball - but were chasing shadows against Spain in the semis. If Spain had a reliable centre forward to call upon I suspect the trophy would have been heading to Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

To add some weight to that, the association of English Football Hooligans has today announced they will be beating their wives, girlfriends and children 10 percent harder for every day the demand of the petition is not met.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,169 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

when does a ball interfere with play? how that penalty stood is beyond me, the dive aside.

was happy to see italy win. england went into their shell after the early goal. if they wanted, they prob could have won it in 90 mins if southgate wasn't so conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

It was a repeat of the WC semi v Croatia, early goal but didn't have the nuance to see it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

I wonder if former fellow FAI bigwig Bernard O’Byrne managed to score himself a ticket????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It ended level but the refereeing wasn’t the defining factor ..

italy enjoyed 66% of possession, England just 34%. Italian team dominated England with the ball... wiped the floor with the English.

england pissing and moaning about the ref ? Well it had to be something... could it be though that over 120 plus minutes...., Italy dominated ? Had the lions share of possession, had 3 times the number of shots then England did ? But bu bu bu the ref ?

despite being clearly second best, the English got to penos but couldn’t win....because they missed, Italy scored more... they did everything better.

Advertisement