Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2020 - AH Official Thread *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bobblehats wrote: »
    There’s a good chance to whom.

Round of 16 in London v Austria Ukraine or Macedonia

QF probably Belgium in Munich

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The Swiss have been very dissapointing. Thought they'd have more about them than this.

Arghus wrote: »
    The Swiss have been very dissapointing. Thought they'd have more about them than this.

And if they beat Turkey in last game could still get out of the group

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Round of 16 in London v Austria Ukraine or Macedonia

QF probably Belgium in Munich

Then it’s whoever hosts the semis and final

Then it’s whoever hosts the semis and final

London has the semis and final

The quarters are Munich Rome Baku and St Petersburg but I dont think anyone will be at home.

• Advertisement

London has the semis and final

I see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great strike.

- 31 and counting…. hard act to follow these lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Moves well enough for a bloke called Immobile..

And if they beat Turkey in last game could still get out of the group

That's one of the biggest problems I think with the 24 team format, aside from diluting the quality, it reduces the jeopardy of the games.

Group matches aren't do or die right from the off like they are in the WC or 16 team Euros - there's way more intensity to games when teams know they have to finish in the top two. The Swiss have been arsing around since the second goal went in, because they know they'll get their chance against the Turks and the final game between Italy and Wales is nearly a dead rubber. As crazy as it sounds I'd nearly prefer a 32 team euros because the group games would be more crucial.

• Advertisement

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Moves well enough for a bloke called Immobile..

That’s what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭trashcan

:confused: they break out the same football every time

They need to bring back the black and white footballs from the 70’s World Cups. They were classy.

trashcan wrote: »
    They need to bring back the black and white footballs from the 70’s World Cups. They were classy.

That was very much a soccerball

euro_match_balls.jpg

All the ones that were used at the euros. There’s your friend off to the left; what about that brown one? In sharp contrast to this year’s. It’s actually quite a novel design, if a little disorientating. Or at least in Gareth Bale’s case..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Still wouldn't expect Italy to go near the final , switzerland poor

• Registered Users Posts: 18,346 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Italy will likely have to play Belgium in the QF. However Italy are a team designed for knockout football. It is in their DNA they always have a chance once they get to the knockouts.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Mad_maxx wrote: »

That is when Italy are at their most dangerous, when they are written off.

I also expect England to batter Scotland tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

ebbsy wrote: »
    That is when Italy are at their most dangerous, when they are written off.

Italy are at their best with an experienced team of winners who are the numbered among the best players in the world. 2006 and 1994.

I want Italy to be the real deal, they've looked great so far: dogged defence, assurance, but slick and incisive going forward and they seem to have a great spirit about them.

It's a great mix, a properly entertaining style of play, definitely the most enjoyable team to watch so far. Maybe the quality of individual players isn't as sky high as previous tournaments, but there's a collective aspect to what they do that makes them pretty formidable to my eyes, everyone has performed in tandem so far. They seem like a very a-typical Italian team.

But they haven't faced truly top quality opposition yet. Turkey aren't great and the Swiss are functional, but uninspired and seemed to give up after the second goal last night. Mind you, I think the Italians made the Swiss look bad, they were all over them.

They've yet to be properly tested, they could turn out to be paper tigers. But these tournaments are so short that there's a lot to be said for a team coming into it with outstanding form, a sense of momentum, belief and an understanding of what they're about.

Mind you, last time out Portugal were bang average in the group stages, fell over the line in some of the knockouts and rode their luck somewhat to winning the whole thing. So anything is possible.

Jimmy Cranky on co-comms

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Jimmy Cranky on co-comms

I thought it was Stephen Kelly until the other lad said Áine.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

This is the Arena Națională in Bucharest. You see that cube overhead basically a massive tarpaulin is stashed in there which unfurls, covering the entire circumference of the pitch. Like a massive gypsy tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

That seemed to happen in slow motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Christ that accent. I can't watch it cause I'm working but listening to it is proving painful.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Italy are at their best with an experienced team of winners who are the numbered among the best players in the world. 2006 and 1994.

Listen if you just agree with Ebbsy it is easier.

Gerrin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

ebbsy wrote: »
    ... and North Macedonia were getting licked by Ukraine ........ oh wait, they've just pulled one back to make it 1-2.
    https://twitter.com/EURO2020/status/1405450850231848962

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

That's never a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Even for football, I've never seen a bigger bunch of cheating, whinging pussies appear on the same pitch at the same time. Both teams.

Get on and play the ****ing game you ****ing clowns, you wouldn't last three seconds in a Junior B final.

Could have told yous this tie was potentially the biggest cracker. Some fixtures just stand out

• Advertisement

I wonder is that North Macedonia's head of steam beginning to dissapate, their was a bit of momentum dying feeling there about the way they wasted that corner.

Your one's sniffling on co-commentary is hard tó unhear.

Advertisement