Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would rowing machine interfere with weightlifting

Options
  • 11-06-2021 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Been weightlifting a few years and strength is my goal(not interested in building any more muscle). At same time I've been cycling for 20 minutes most days outdoors, nothing too strenuous but just maintaining my aerobic fitness . My knees are a bit banjaxxed so was thinking of getting a rowing machine that could
    use to do low intensity seasons , use for warmup and maybe slightly harder sessions on rest days. Worried it might impact on my strength , surely If I dont do high intensity ,I'll be ok? I guess I'm afraid to totally drop the bit of cardio in case I put on weight or lose fitness . A Another consideration, I've never rowed before,-is it easy to use improper technique and cause injury?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its my favourite gym cardio, in particular 5,000m, 2,000m and intervals 1min or 20sec. I'd only see it as a plus that a better cardio system would round out your overall endurance potential. Timewise it something you would spend 10-30min on and then its down to yourself whether you are in to improving times or not. Ideally in your case you would do your weights first and finish off with the rower.

In terms of injury, low risk, its a low impact machine

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bellie1

silverharp wrote: »
    its my favourite gym cardio, in particular 5,000m, 2,000m and intervals 1min or 20sec. I'd only see it as a plus that a better cardio system would round out your overall endurance potential. Timewise it something you would spend 10-30min on and then its down to yourself whether you are in to improving times or not. Ideally in your case you would do your weights first and finish off with the rower.

In terms of injury, low risk, its a low impact machine

Thanks for that. So thing is to use after weights session. Tbh was thinking of a crosstrainer but the attic is the only space to put and I'd be knocking my head off the ceiling. That's the only reason considering the rower:-) I tried hiit on bike last year and really impacted on my lifting so went back to slow and steady. Annoying as I'd like to push my aerobic capacity and get lower heart rate( currently 70) but I can only have one priority so chose strength

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Bellie1 wrote: »
    Been weightlifting a few years and strength is my goal(not interested in building any more muscle). At same time I've been cycling for 20 minutes most days outdoors, nothing too strenuous but just maintaining my aerobic fitness . My knees are a bit banjaxxed so was thinking of getting a rowing machine that could
    use to do low intensity seasons , use for warmup and maybe slightly harder sessions on rest days. Worried it might impact on my strength , surely If I dont do high intensity ,I'll be ok? I guess I'm afraid to totally drop the bit of cardio in case I put on weight or lose fitness . A Another consideration, I've never rowed before,-is it easy to use improper technique and cause injury?

Even pure strength athletes benefit from an appropriate level of conditioning. It can help recovery between sets.

What you’re describing sounds fine.

Was going to rent a concept 2 for a month and if that went well, was going to invest in one. There is just enough room length wise to put the rower(244cm) .However I would have literally no room to move beyond the back of the rower when rowing.From looking at videos peoples torsos extend beyond the machine at the finish position.Im only 5 feet 1" so maybe I wouldn't go beyond it? When I'm at finish position then maybe I wouldn't reach end of the machine?

Also how easy is the concept to fold ? Would it be a pain to fold after each use?

Thinking a knee replacement is a simpler solution at this stage to getting some cardio in, or moving to a bigger house

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Was going to rent a concept 2 for a month and if that went well, was going to invest in one. There is just enough room length wise to put the rower(244cm) .However I would have literally no room to move beyond the back of the rower when rowing.From looking at videos peoples torsos extend beyond the machine at the finish position.Im only 5 feet 1" so maybe I wouldn't go beyond it? When I'm at finish position then maybe I wouldn't reach end of the machine?

Also how easy is the concept to fold ? Would it be a pain to fold after each use?

Thinking a knee replacement is a simpler solution at this stage to getting some cardio in, or moving to a bigger house

I'm a massive 5'6 and dont go beyond the end of it. The concept 2 can be stood upright, to save space, and its also very easy to split it in the middle to make it smaller as well.

TBH, I think the whole thing only had 4 bolts to put it together, and they were for the legs at the front.

• Advertisement

I'm a massive 5'6 and dont go beyond the end of it. The concept 2 can be stood upright, to save space, and its also very easy to split it in the middle to make it smaller as well.

TBH, I think the whole thing only had 4 bolts to put it together, and they were for the legs at the front.

Even your head doesn't go beyond the back at the finish? Watching videos people.seemed to go a good foot beyond. Maybe they were 6 footers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Even your head doesn't go beyond the back at the finish? Watching videos people.seemed to go a good foot beyond. Maybe they were 6 footers

this person is 5'3ish, so I would say you are good

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Where can you rent Gym equipment? I would be interested in renting to test them out before buying.

Where can you rent Gym equipment? I would be interested in renting to test them out before buying.

Google rent concept 2 rower and you'll find a few companies..I was surprised ,didn't realize could rent exercise equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What is the best time to add in moderate ish rowing to a strength program?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What is the best time to add in moderate ish rowing to a strength program?

9.37am

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

9.37am

I’m in work by then

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m in work by then

Just explain. They'll understand.

"Work hard? Work out! Fit body, fit mind so...."

Advertisement