Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday at home

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Unbelievable. How can they get away with prices like that?

Well its not €2800 like you saw anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well its not €2800 like you saw anyway

I'm aware of that :confused:

Lad on the radio today think it was Newstalk was quoted over 5k for two weeks in Dingle for family of 4 in a hotel:eek:

Think we paid less for 5 of us including flights for two 2 weeks in Orlando in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

murpho999 wrote: »
    If you were in a hotel then it wasn't a staycation but a mini holiday. Staycation to me is staying at home.

As for Calcutta, you've obviously never been there if you think our outdoor dining (which is temporary anyway) conditions are bad.

What the fcuk is a staycation? If you work monday to friday then isn't every weekend a bloody "staycation"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

We got a week in Trabolgan for 850. Self catering naturally. Now in saying that it was booked in December 2019 and we changed the dates from last year to this year. Checked the other day and a similar spot for the same week is now costing 1200 so yeah, it's pretty pricey.

I'd love to give CentreParcs a whirl but again the prices for a week are mental.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We booked a hotel in Tralee during lockdown. Going in July/August. Got a great deal :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,810 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

thesultan wrote: »
    Christ Hotel prices are ridiculous.. €180 for one night.. Surely there is more value there

If you stayed 3 nights...

540 on hotels

300 about on food

Then entertainment, drinks, train fares / petrol money...

3 nights in Ireland the guts of 1100 euros.

If I have a spare 1100 euros I’ll add a few quid and wait to fly away...somewhere with value, weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cionn wrote: »
    I am currently enjoying a staycation with the family near the Greenway achill. For anyone considering booking, there is bugger all commercial businesses open. We cycled with a 10 year old for 14km to achill island and asked if there was anywhere to go to the loo or a cafe to have a coffee/cake. Nothing open , we were directed to cycle back to our starting point. Zero open it's a joke at the moment. I wouldn't bother until the school's close and I would set expectations low. I am a habitual staycationer but this is beyond a joke. I am booking an away trip for 2022

The world is your sh1tter. Find cover, squat and commune with nature.

I for one wont be giving our grabbing hoteliers a red cent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I know its not right now but started looking at holidays here for Feb mid term break.....jesus pricey enough. Can get 7 or 14 nights in Orlando with flights and hotel from €650pp.....

And they wonder why people don't stay in Ireland if they don't have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,810 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I know its not right now but started looking at holidays here for Feb mid term break.....jesus pricey enough. Can get 7 or 14 nights in Orlando with flights and hotel from €650pp.....

And they wonder why people don't stay in Ireland if they don't have too.

23 - 25 degrees and little to no rain, in Orlando, A ton of stuff to experience and do... mostly great value when you are there, change of scenery... here minus whatever to 5/6 degrees.... or....Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

murpho999 wrote: »
    If you were in a hotel then it wasn't a staycation but a mini holiday. Staycation to me is staying at home.

As for Calcutta, you've obviously never been there if you think our outdoor dining (which is temporary anyway) conditions are bad.

You are top 5 to be on the trocaire box next lent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dictionary definition is "A holiday spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions."

So I guess both meanings would be commonly used and technically correct.

That's what most people call a weekend.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Few cans in the garden lads....be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Few cans in the garden lads....be grand

.... and that's what most people call a lockdown!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

.... and that's what most people call a lockdown!

Better than center parcs

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I want to hit Newry and Holyhead in August purely for the laugh, I'm easily amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The Atlantic-dominated weather we had this week meant the best weather by far was in the east near Dublin. Dubs could well be better off staying close to home if that weather prevails for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

10 days in the ocean sands hotel (enniscrone) 2 adults 2 kids (2 bed self catering apartments) with full use of the hotel amenities plus we can bring the dog for €1400.
    Happy enough with that

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Unbelievable. How can they get away with prices like that?

800 is just over a hundred a night. And that for a cottage with all it's facilities. Would you get a hotel room for that with not even a microwave oven to warm up a tv dinner?

Strumms wrote: »
    If you stayed 3 nights...

540 on hotels

300 about on food

Then entertainment, drinks, train fares / petrol money...

3 nights in Ireland the guts of 1100 euros.

If I have a spare 1100 euros I’ll add a few quid and wait to fly away...somewhere with value, weather.

A friend of mine has a two bed apartment with balconies and tiled floors in Alicante. He rents it to me for 250 for a week. Ryanair to Alicante you can usually get for 100 return. It 5 minutes walk to the beach and th beach is spectacular. It's 3 quid a pint and you can fill up the fridge with everything you need for a week for 50 euros. Wamellons, oranges, mineral water, milk, eggs, ham, bread, olives, cheese, salad, etc.I actually save money going there rather than staying at home.

More shanty town outdoor dining in the west of Ireland today, at least it’s a nice day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

That's kind of Achill at the best of times. Nice scenery and beaches, billions of midges, 2 campsites and a Ra pub.

A pub dedicated to the Egyptian sun god? I've got to see that.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

xzanti wrote: »
    We booked a hotel in Tralee during lockdown. Going in July/August. Got a great deal :D

C'mon spill the beans...

Thespoofer wrote: »
    C'mon spill the beans...

Tralee is a kip of a town, call a spade a spade on that one. Down for the rose of Tralee there one year.

• Site Banned Posts: 17 RStoneX

theguzman wrote: »
    Currently debating between Dubai, Cancun, Mexico or Greece for September, was going to go to Scotland but bad weather and the midge index was enough to put me off. All of course pending on restrictions and MHQ etc. You couldn't pay me to holiday in Ireland.

Only in Ireland someone on "disability" allowance is able to travel the world during a global pandemic, get married abroad (a bogus marriage of convenience for visa reasons), return home and carry on sponging of the system for years and year to come with the added slag on tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Will do a big holiday to a resort abroad at the end of the year and a couple of staycations in bnbs between now and then.

Irish hotels are ridicously basic. A good hotel would cost you 600 euro for 2 nights and even then its the basic package. Publicans also hiking up prices.

Ye may fook off. I'll take my hard earned euros elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

tom1ie wrote: »
    10 days in the ocean sands hotel (enniscrone) 2 adults 2 kids (2 bed self catering apartments) with full use of the hotel amenities plus we can bring the dog for €1400.
    Happy enough with that

€1,400 for the dog! How much for the rest of you?

Advertisement