Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mini or iMac???

Options
  • 09-06-2021 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Currently have a 2015 27” iMac which is sluggish and keeps restarting. Also suffers from the ghosting issue.

Was thinking of replacing it and considering a mini with a 4K monitor which will cost about €1,200 or the new iMac which will cost about €1,500.

Opinions as to the best choice?

Apart from price, it seems the mini has a slightly higher spec.
    Post edited by Sad Professor on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Does your 2015 one have an SSD? Mine's of the same era, refurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Does your 2015 one have an SSD? Mine's of the same era, refurb.

I have an external SSD attached which sped things up greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Personally I would go for the Mac mini. Pretty much the same internals as the iMac but you get to choose your screen!! Not limited a single 24" screen. Get two 4K 34" monitors!! Get a 43" widescreen one!! Go mad!

The Mac Mini also has more ports and is just more flexible all round in my opinion. Also when it comes time to upgrade, your screens will still be good, all yo would be changing is the desktop part.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd also go for a Mini, the iMac is more if you want that all-in-one aesthetic IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 askpt

Have a quick look in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLUUlAU85Wc

The guy has a few points that makes sense. Evaluate your situation and see which one is better.

If you prefer a AiO go for iMac, if you prefer ports and customisation go for the Mini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Also bear in mind apple have made imacs effectively unrepairable for years now and I'd assume it's worse with the thinner form factor and all glass front, not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

OU812 wrote: »
    Currently have a 2015 27” iMac which is sluggish and keeps restarting. Also suffers from the ghosting issue.

Was thinking of replacing it and considering a mini with a 4K monitor which will cost about €1,200 or the new iMac which will cost about €1,500.

Opinions as to the best choice?

Apart from price, it seems the mini has a slightly higher spec.

I had the in same issue with an iBook and two macbooks over the years. Eventually moved back to Windows. Still using my 2013 i7 Lenovo for video and audio editing without any hassle.

If you're not tied into a specific software and your just staying with Mac cause that's what your used too then I'd advise at least broadening your options.

If you're not tied into a specific software and your just staying with Mac cause that's what your used too then I'd advise at least broadening your options.

Prefer Mac to be honest. Find them much better in every way.

Ended up going for the iMac in the end. Work offered to put €1,000 toward it so worked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

If you like a good screen, get the iMac. If you don't really care about screen quality, get the Mac mini with a lesser quality (but possibly larger) screen.

In terms of performance, the M1 iMac and mini are effectively identical.

Because of the delay in getting the work paid for iMac (still three weeks until expected delivery), I bought a refurbished mini to bridge the gap which was delivered next day. It's the base model - 8GB/256GB, which is currently running with a 32"TV & I cant believe how fast & quiet it is. Really stunning performance.

I'll make it into my iTunes server when the iMac arrives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

So my 2012 mac mini has slowed to be almost unusable.

Looking here as I have the 27" screen, might get another

Any thoughts on the M1 vs intel spec options?

Its just for work, no gaming etc required

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

If you have the screen already, get the mini.

I bought one to use as a media server. It does all the media conversion as well as downloading & then allows for streaming all over the house.

it’s very fast, nothing seems too much trouble for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, thats the plan, I just wondered about the difference between the M1 and Intel spec

https://www.apple.com/ie/mac-mini/specs/

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

M1 version runs rings around the Intel one. By this time next year there will be no Intel Macs for purchase.

Advertisement