Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Mini or iMac???

Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭ OU812

Currently have a 2015 27” iMac which is sluggish and keeps restarting. Also suffers from the ghosting issue.

Was thinking of replacing it and considering a mini with a 4K monitor which will cost about €1,200 or the new iMac which will cost about €1,500.

Opinions as to the best choice?

Apart from price, it seems the mini has a slightly higher spec.
    Post edited by Sad Professor on

Comments

• Does your 2015 one have an SSD? Mine's of the same era, refurb.

• Does your 2015 one have an SSD? Mine's of the same era, refurb.

I have an external SSD attached which sped things up greatly

• Personally I would go for the Mac mini. Pretty much the same internals as the iMac but you get to choose your screen!! Not limited a single 24" screen. Get two 4K 34" monitors!! Get a 43" widescreen one!! Go mad!

The Mac Mini also has more ports and is just more flexible all round in my opinion. Also when it comes time to upgrade, your screens will still be good, all yo would be changing is the desktop part.

• I'd also go for a Mini, the iMac is more if you want that all-in-one aesthetic IMO.

• Have a quick look in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLUUlAU85Wc

The guy has a few points that makes sense. Evaluate your situation and see which one is better.

If you prefer a AiO go for iMac, if you prefer ports and customisation go for the Mini.

• Advertisement

• Also bear in mind apple have made imacs effectively unrepairable for years now and I'd assume it's worse with the thinner form factor and all glass front, not better.

• OU812 wrote: »
    Currently have a 2015 27” iMac which is sluggish and keeps restarting. Also suffers from the ghosting issue.

Was thinking of replacing it and considering a mini with a 4K monitor which will cost about €1,200 or the new iMac which will cost about €1,500.

Opinions as to the best choice?

Apart from price, it seems the mini has a slightly higher spec.

I had the in same issue with an iBook and two macbooks over the years. Eventually moved back to Windows. Still using my 2013 i7 Lenovo for video and audio editing without any hassle.

If you're not tied into a specific software and your just staying with Mac cause that's what your used too then I'd advise at least broadening your options.

• If you're not tied into a specific software and your just staying with Mac cause that's what your used too then I'd advise at least broadening your options.

Prefer Mac to be honest. Find them much better in every way.

Ended up going for the iMac in the end. Work offered to put €1,000 toward it so worked out well.

• If you like a good screen, get the iMac. If you don't really care about screen quality, get the Mac mini with a lesser quality (but possibly larger) screen.

In terms of performance, the M1 iMac and mini are effectively identical.

• Because of the delay in getting the work paid for iMac (still three weeks until expected delivery), I bought a refurbished mini to bridge the gap which was delivered next day. It's the base model - 8GB/256GB, which is currently running with a 32"TV & I cant believe how fast & quiet it is. Really stunning performance.

I'll make it into my iTunes server when the iMac arrives

• Advertisement
Advertisement