Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Magnesium Citrate absorber better than Magnesium Oxide?

• 05-06-2021 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

I take 500 mg of Mg Oxide daily yeilding 300mg Elemental Mg. However I'm reading there is only a 5% absorbition whereas Mg Citrate has much better bioavailability. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mrtom wrote: »
    I take 500 mg of Mg Oxide daily yeilding 300mg Elemental Mg. However I'm reading there is only a 5% absorbition whereas Mg Citrate has much better bioavailability. What do you think?

Magnesium oxide is essentially a waste of money.

https://sigmanutrition.com/making-cut-part-iii-supplementation-combat-sports/

Number 3 about two-thirds of the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

Magnesium oxide is essentially a waste of money.

https://sigmanutrition.com/making-cut-part-iii-supplementation-combat-sports/

Number 3 about two-thirds of the way down.

Clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Why do you take magnesium?
    Do you take anything else?
    citrate usually have better absorption but I would opt for natural form. Not fun of holland&barret but they have 5 forms of magnesium from marine salt.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/together-natural-marine-magnesium-capsules-60010639

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

markmoto wrote: »
    Why do you take magnesium?
    Do you take anything else?
    citrate usually have better absorption but I would opt for natural form. Not fun of holland&barret but they have 5 forms of magnesium from marine salt.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/together-natural-marine-magnesium-capsules-60010639

What is “natural form” of magnesium?
    Magnesium oxide is naturally occurring for example. And useless as a supplement.

Mellor wrote: »
    Magnesium oxide is naturally occurring for example. And useless as a supplement.

Natural forms extracted from food sources. (Not synthetic versions)
    Oxide not the best form of magnesium but not useless also absorbed by the body and used in over 300 enzymatic reactions.

Human body absorb upto 30-40% magnesium intake regardless. In most cases far below that threshold

• Advertisement

"500 mg of Mg Oxide daily yeilding 300mg Elemental Mg". I seem to have missunderstood what this means.

Why do I take this? As part of a strategy to optimise my overall health. Am here to learn!

"500 mg of Mg Oxide daily yeilding 300mg Elemental Mg". I seem to have missunderstood what this means.

Why do I take this? As part of a strategy to optimise my overall health. Am here to learn!

Supplements usually used short term to fix certain issues. Eating healthy diet would give you enough magnesium.

What is your plans?

Supplements usually used short term to fix certain issues. Eating healthy diet would give you enough magnesium.

What is your plans?
    To act on what I'm learning;
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221451411500121X

And your plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I make Magnesium Bicarbonate from Magnesium Hydroxide . Cheap as chips

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It means that magnesium oxide is 60% magnesium (40% oxygen). Bit you can’t absorb it easily so it’s not a good for to supplement with.

Both of those sentences are incorrect.
    There’s many supplements that provide long term supplementary benefits.
    A healthy diet doesn’t necessarily achieve optimal levels of all micros. Vitamin D and Magnesium are two in particular that are commonly suboptimal

• Advertisement

I see, yeah commercially grown vegetable how much lower nutritional value.
    soil depleted and they don't put enough minerals back
    https://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/nutritional-content-zmaz09jjzraw

Both of those sentences are incorrect.
    There’s many supplements that provide long term supplementary benefits.
    A healthy diet doesn’t necessarily achieve optimal levels of all micros. Vitamin D and Magnesium are two in particular that are commonly suboptimal

For certain medical condition supplements might require long term.
    For everyone else short term with adjustment to proper balance diet.

You need to evaluate your self and see if you are deficient for one or another.
    And not start taking pills after watching TV series or reading some online articles. I am afraid not.

Minerals /vitamins works in groups and taking single without knowing all aspects might never work too well.

Not to mention many supplements just empty fancy looking bottles with no real nutritional value. But I don't want to go into that direction in this thread.

silverharp wrote: »
    I make Magnesium Bicarbonate from Magnesium Hydroxide . Cheap as chips

: ) what else do you produce?

Natural forms extracted from food sources. (Not synthetic versions)
    Oxide not the best form of magnesium but not useless also absorbed by the body and used in over 300 enzymatic reactions.

Human body absorb up to 30-40% magnesium intake regardless. In most cases far below that threshold
    Biochemically, a naturally molecule and a synthetic one are the same.
    Beside, the supplement as Magnesium refined from seawater, which isn't a food source.

The magnesium oxide used in enzymatic reactions magnesium oxidised in biological process, not consumed mag.oxide.

Magnesium oxide is maybe 4% available. Better forms are 30-40%.
    So unless oxide is 10 times cheaper, it's a waste of money.
    Useless was perhaps unfair, as it is apparently has uses in laxatives.
    For certain medical condition supplements might require long term.
    For everyone else short term with adjustment to proper balance diet.
    That is simply incorrect.
    Do some research, the info is in the thread already so not hard to find.
    You need to evaluate your self and see if you are deficient for one or another.
    And not start taking pills after watching TV series or reading some online articles. I am afraid not.
    Deficiency is one reason, not the only reason.
    Minerals /vitamins works in groups and taking single without knowing all aspects might never work too well.

How could somebody only have a single minerals or vitamins in their diet?
    Even if they only supplement with magnesium, they'll have dozens others from their diet.
    Not to mention many supplements just empty fancy looking bottles with no real nutritional value. But I don't want to go into that direction in this thread.
    Seams unrelated to the thread.
    If you didn't want to mention it, why mention it? :confused:

Biochemically, a naturally molecule and a synthetic one are the same.
    Beside, the supplement as Magnesium refined from seawater, which isn't a food source.

If seawater is not food source I suppose petrochemicals is what you aiming as one? Compilation of studies.
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Arvind_Singh56/post/Are_synthetic_vitamins_effective/attachment/5df85e80cfe4a777d4fb69b8/AS%3A836959941447681%401576558208844/download/1.pdf

If seawater is not food source...
    Yes. Humans don’t eat seawater.

I suppose petrochemicals is what you aiming as one?
    I’ve no idea what this is supposed to say.
    That’s a collection of claims, not a collection of studies. Have you actually read it? Because it’s full of contradictions to your post.

Two of the first 4 studies are from 1939 and 1940. Some of coal tar extract as as vitamin supplement. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that that the B6 content of coal is not what was harmful, but other compounds.

It also lists the additives in vitamins. Dyes, carcinogenic additives, etc. Ignoring the fact that many of those additives are banned (and not used). If something contains additional toxic ingredients, it’s those additives that are toxic, not the magnesium citrate, or the vitamin C - which are different molecules.
    But some course are used, and are heavily tested.

After that it devolves into multiple sources for various hack authors trying to spin various books/websites/agendas.
    Although scientists can make seawater with exactly the same chemical structure as natural seawater, when you put a salt-water fish in this synthetic environment, the fish dies
    That is untrue.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_seawater
    Mega doses of synthetic vitamins can have very serious toxic effects. Naturally-occurring whole-food vitamins are not toxic
    That is untrue. Toxicity limits also apply to natural substances. Obviously. Some of the most toxic substances are natural.

It’s not all nonsense of course;
    Putting the word "natural" on the vitamin label is, in most cases today, deceptive. The word is constantly abused and, as such, its meaning has been diluted to a point where it holds little value.

But in all seriousness, the valid parts of it are saying that natural sources (compared to supplements) have addition benefits like antioxidants, enzymes and other nutrients. Nobody has suggested otherwise. But that doesn’t mean that natural derived molecules behaviour differently.
    If synthetic magnesium oxide is not bioavailable, neither is natural.

Yes. Humans don’t eat seawater.
    Definition of food; "any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink or that plants absorb in order to maintain life and growth."

Deep sea water (DSW) commonly refers to a body of seawater that is pumped up from a depth of over 200 m. It is usually associated with the following characteristics: low temperature, high purity, and being rich with nutrients, namely, beneficial elements, which include magnesium, calcium, potassium, chromium, selenium, zinc, and vanadium. Less photosynthesis of plant planktons, consumption of nutrients, and organic decomposition have caused lots of nutrients to remain there. Due to this, DSW has potential to become a good source for health. Research has proven that DSW can help overcome health problems especially related to lifestyle-associated diseases such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, cancer, and skin problems. This paper reviews the potential health benefits of DSW by referring to the findings from previous researches.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5221345/

I’ve no idea what this is supposed to say.

That’s a collection of claims, not a collection of studies. Have you actually read it? Because it’s full of contradictions to your post.

...But that doesn’t mean that natural derived molecules behaviour differently.
    If synthetic magnesium oxide is not bioavailable, neither is natural.

In previous post you said "Biochemically, a naturally molecule and a synthetic one are the same."
    Hence I assume you see no difference between vitamins extracted from food and synthetic versions made using petroleum products. However number of studies shown synthetic versions work less effective and some synthetic versions absolutely useless.

And if you have no idea (as you said above) have a look below what used to make synthetic vitamins.

555285.png

Artificial and synthetic two different animals.
    Btw never refer to Wikipedia is not a reliable source at all.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_is_not_a_reliable_source#:~:text=Wikipedia%20is%20not%20a%20reliable%20source%20for%20citations%20elsewhere%20on,progress%2C%20or%20just%20plain%20wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

Sweet baby Jesus don’t let pumped deep sea water become a food fad. We have destroyed enough of the ocean already.

Definition of food; "any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink or that plants absorb in order to maintain life and growth."

Deep sea water (DSW)...

Jesus wept.
    In previous post you said "Biochemically, a naturally molecule and a synthetic one are the same."
    Hence I assume you see no difference between vitamins extracted from food and synthetic versions made using petroleum products. However number of studies shown synthetic versions work less effective and some synthetic versions absolutely useless.
    Can you point to one of these studies, that shown natural molecule and an identical synthetic molecule behave differently.
    As none of the previous links did that. They refer to substances other than the vitamin content. which to appear to be failing to understand.
    And if you have no idea (as you said above) have a look below what used to make synthetic vitamins.
    I said I had no idea what you were typing. At no point did I claim petrochemicals were food. Reading comprehension is required skill.
    BTW the source was not wikipedia, citations are at the bottom of the page.
    Kester, D. R., Duedall, I. W., Connors, D. N. and Pytkowicz, R. M. (1967). Preparation of Artificial Seawater Archived 2008-12-17 at the Wayback Machine. Limnology & Oceanography 12, 176–179.
    Goldman, J. C. and McCarthy, J. J. (1978). Steady-state growth and ammonium uptake of a fast-growing marine diatom Archived 2008-12-17 at the Wayback Machine. Limnology & Oceanography 23, 695–703.
    "Standard Practice for the Preparation of Substitute Ocean Water". ASTM International. Retrieved 16 June 2014.
    ""Artificial Seawater" ASTM D1141-98 Lake Products Company LLC".
    "Preparation of Substitute Ocean Water". G2MT Labs. 2018-11-08. Retrieved 10 November 2018.

Here's another source

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3847730/
    ...all steady state comparative bioavailability studies in humans have shown no differences between synthetic and natural vitamin C, regardless of the subject population, study design or intervention used. Some pharmacokinetic studies in humans have shown transient and small comparative differences between synthetic and natural vitamin C, although these differences are likely to have minimal physiological impact.

Advertisement