Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not move to Northern Ireland?

Options
  • 01-06-2021 11:25pm

It's probably not been an option until now.

Working from home gives us the freedom to live anywhere we want, even the most inhospitable, derelict places, such as Northern Ireland.

House prices in Northern Ireland are at least 25% cheaper than in the Republic. You can earn a southern salary and get an NHS. The cost of living is so much cheaper. The benefits are immense.

We are currently looking at properties in Co. Down, I wonder why more Irish people haven't looked to the North as a convenient, cheaper place to relocate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

It's a different jurisdiction for tax and employment law purposes.

I think a lot of employers might have issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Working from home gives us the freedom to live anywhere we want, even the most inhospitable, derelict places, such as Northern Ireland.

House prices in Northern Ireland are at least 25% cheaper than in the Republic. You can earn a southern salary and get an NHS. The cost of living is so much cheaper. The benefits are immense.

We are currently looking at properties in Co. Down, I wonder why more Irish people haven't looked to the North as a convenient, cheaper place to relocate?
    Often thought about it. Wsmas reared in dundalk so crossed border much as a child. Moved back here several years ago and luckily settled now though only a stones throw from the border. Always an option. You are right cost of living v cheap ....as they say there is nothing free about the free state!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There are plenty of cheap places in the south too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

You want to move to a country that goes through civil war every few decades just to save a couple of quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

As other people have said the tax and employment law thing could be an issue.
    My sister lives in the north and works in the south as a teacher though and no issues since she started a few years back.

Co down has some lovely spots I will say. But like everywhere else you would have to do your research.
    I am originally from the glens of Antrim it's a lovely spot but couldn't see myself living their unless I am retired, Belfast or outside it somewhere nice definitely.
    Cost of living is definitely less, eating out, groceries etc especially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You want to move to a country that goes through civil war every few decades just to save a couple of quid?
    Does it? I might have missed the civil wars...I was born there in 1981...

Tbh I would feel a lot safer in NI than most places in ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Northern Ireland is fine, apart from the fact its inert, stifling, miserable and unbearably dull.

In the last 20 years, a noticeable gap between the relative wealth of the Republic and the 6 counties has appeared. Lower standard of living, less enterprising culture, fewer opportunities.

In short, there is a reason its cheap to live there.

PS, for those interested in such things, a documentary series, 'The Road to Partition' began 10 mins ago on BBC2.

Phoebas wrote: »
    It's a different jurisdiction for tax and employment law purposes.
    Not as far as I am aware,

Our salaries will be taxed in Dublin, we need to go there once every two weeks -- max. No problem.

Some parts of the North are stunning. The properties you can buy up here would cost 25% more, as standard. Sometimes they are half the price.

Lads, come up here, the value is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Don't forget the very high Property Tax on Family Homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Hope you don't have children - children's allowance is way way lower.

Hope you don't become unemployed. - Job seekers allowance is about £75

Hope you don't just qualify for basic pension. Way lower too.

And don't forget the rates bill. Even a modest house with £200,000 value will have a rates bill of £2,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

It's swings and roundabouts. Some things are cheaper, other things are much the same or more expensive. Property prices around the border have gone up quite a bit in the last 12 months, Newry area specifically.

Note that on a Rep of Ireland salary in euro, the banks will limit how much they lend you for a mortgage, mate just went through same. You'll also need a larger deposit.

I agree regarding the wealth divide, there is staggering wealth and deprivation in the North. They also run a constant deficit with a huge reliance on a bloated public sector and a large reliance on welfare.

With so much divide at government level, right down to community level, it's not somewhere i'd aspire to move to. And i'm 15km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Certainly it is an option and South Armagh and South Down are beautiful places with property prices less than closer to Dublin. The NHS is cheap and provides service accordingly. There isn't quite as good rural broadband and of course the rates bill of £1000+ is more than the total of any charges in the 26 counties.

By the time your pension falls due the national territory will have been re-integrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I wouldn't like to have to learn a new language to be honest.

Don't forget the very high Property Tax on Family Homes.

We spend 1,800 euro on health insurance, and I don't know how much we spend on bins, about 250 euro, but we have done the sums; it's still cheaper!

Our salaries will be taxed in Dublin, we need to go there once every two weeks -- max. No problem.

You'll need to spend 183 days in the Republic for tax purposes

You have a fairly modest abode. A £400K family home in Newry and Mourne will set you back £3,460 Family Home Tax a year. That is out of your earned income.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

But there is a double taxation agreement with Ireland and the UK so you can just declare your earnings to HRMC and you don't have to pay tax again. I know loads of people doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

I'm a dub that's moved to Warrenpoint, its a nice town, very busy seaside spot. Our side of the house if you know what I mean, cost of living is a lot cheaper than the south everybody knows , that. There's a fair few southern people living in Warrenpoint. Property rates can be very expensive, but gp visits and prescription are free (waiting times can be a couple of days ).its swings and roundabouts, best situation is to have a southern wage and northern cost of living . I went out for the champions league final the local was £3.60 for a pint Heineken

Mmm, I don't think so. We are both entitled to UK passports. We will get them if needs be, or I'll keep some official letter in the glove comaprtment.

You gonna squeal on me?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Hear hear, get those demographics shifted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Let's all move to N.Ireland lads before the DUP find out. Then vote for a united Ireland. Majority vote.

I would consider moving to border regions of the North or somewhere like Derry or Rathlin Island.

I don't think I would want to go too deep away from the Republic.

dd973 wrote: »
    Hear hear, get those demographics shifted.

We are both protestants, but can still infiltrate. Might join a local DUP Cumann to disrupt the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

gmisk wrote: »
    Does it? I might have missed the civil wars...I was born there in 1981...

Tbh I would feel a lot safer in NI than most places in ROI

I'm the opposite .

Milk is cheap, but butter is expensive.

We spend 1,800 euro on health insurance, and I don't know how much we spend on bins, about 250 euro, but we have done the sums; it's still cheaper!

Yes, but you get some added value for the health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Lives in the north years ago, wouldn’t necessarily recommend it for southerners. It’s a very divided place and who needs that in their life. Business still brings me to Belfast, but visiting it is enough for me. It’s probably a bit different if you grew up there and don’t see the division as uncomfortable.

Some parts of the North are stunning. The properties you can buy up here would cost 25% more, as standard. Sometimes they are half the price.

Lads, come up here, the value is nuts.

Have you already moved? “Up here”?

You are from Tipp, right? Tipp is cheap as is much of the midlands.

Mmm, I don't think so. We are both entitled to UK passports. We will get them if needs be, or I'll keep some official letter in the glove comaprtment.

You gonna squeal on me?

Where are you hoping to register for tax purposes? If it’s the U.K., great - get the passport. Or don’t because you don’t need one to live in the U.K. however your Irish company might worry about employees living in the U.K. as they have tax and prsi obligations. That said I’ve worked with people who came from Belfast.

All this is moot if you are a contractor.

Yes, but you get some added value for the health insurance.

Probably still better off on the NHS tbh. No excess and their ideas of long waiting lists are laughable. I've been waiting 6vmontgs for a routine referral. I know what I need, my go knows what I need but I have to wait and give someone 200 quid so he can concur. Whenever he gets a chance that is.
    Down here we get extra value by paying extra so the bucket of ****e doesn't have a hole in it. Up there they don't have to carry the bucket of ****e everywhere.

• Advertisement

Probably still better off on the NHS tbh. No excess and their ideas of long waiting lists are laughable. .

Have you actually looked at the NI waiting lists or are you just guessing?

https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/articles/outpatient-waiting-times

three quarters of people waiting more than a year for ENT does not sound like Nirvana to me.

Advertisement