Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN?

Options
  • 01-06-2021 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I hope this is posted in the correct section of the forum.

We don't currently have a VPN on our Huawei B535-232 router or on any of our devices.

I have a couple of questions....

Is it a good idea to have a VPN, if so which one is recommended?

If so, should I add the VPN to my B535-232 router or to the individual devices. I did read that adding one to the router can slow it down. We have a PC, laptop, Firestick, two android phones and an iPhone?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

A VPN is only really useful for accessing content in a region different to your own, or masking your real IP when visiting sites for whatever reason.

It is best deployed at a device not router level.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

If you need a VPN just for privacy, without options like detailed location selections - the Opera browser has free, built in VPN. You can still select between Europe, Asia and Americas with it, but not specific countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭gooner99

Thanks for the replies.

I was also thinking from a security point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ignore the ads. A VPN adds next to no security. The only reason you want one is for American Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

agree with others but if you want to add some additional security and to hide your activity you can install 1.1.1.1 on your phone and PC for free and use https://duckduckgo.com/ for browsing.

https://1.1.1.1/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

1.1.1.1 is also great for 3 mobile users who get blocked on adult sites, even legitimate sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

VPN doesn't really do much. Its traceable.

A burner 4G sim card might be something but they'll still be able to pinpoint your location if your using it from your house.

Other than that the TOR browser but the dark net really is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AliceN

I used TOR on my PC, but since I started working from home and bought a Firestick, I need a good VPN. I've already checked the info on Google, so I know the names of the wel-known paid services. But which one should I choose? Is ExpressVPN better than Nord VPN, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

VPN is the weakest link an open door to hack your networks.

Advertisement