Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaks too tight after reattaching front wheel

Options
  • 29-05-2021 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

*SOLVED* Thanks to magicbastarder and Mefistofelino for the help!

The front wheel is quick release. I removed it to put it in the car. I couldn't get the wheel off without unhooking that mechanism just above for the breaks too, which joins the left and right breaks.

After reconnecting everything, the wheel is jammed. I've tried pushing the arms of the breaks to the left, the right and everywhere in between but no position seems to free up the wheel except unhooking the mechanism that connects the left and right breaks entirely.

Can anyone help? The childer want to cycle in the nice weather :)

2021-05-29-11-41-09.jpg

Edit: Compared to the rear mechanism, only one "arm" of the breaks is moving (the one on the right in this picture, which is on the cyclists left). It has a fairly broad range of travel while the other moves far less.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean the little cam lever to open up the brakes a bit? that's what that is for - to allow you get the wheel on and off the bike. if the bike was OK before you got it into the car, might it be possible that the brake cable is kinked somewhere so it's been pulled tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

you mean the little cam lever to open up the brakes a bit? that's what that is for - to allow you get the wheel on and off the bike. if the bike was OK before you got it into the car, might it be possible that the brake cable is kinked somewhere so it's been pulled tight?

Not sure what lever that might be, I was just using my bare hands to shove them from side-to-side to see if they'd loosen up.

I've just put the bike upside down because my arms are getting tired. I've disconnected the breaks and it seems the mudguard is also creating a lot of resistance. Maybe the situation is more complicated than I originally thought.

Edit: looking head on, I can see that the wheel is not straight. I'll start there if I can figure that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Check the other end of the outer black cable housing, at the brake lever. It may not be sitting properly back in the barrel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not sure what lever that might be
    not the one i was thinking of, your brakes are not the type i had assumed they'd be.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

It's all working now. I had to really push one side of the wheel to get it to sit perfectly in the fork. That solved most of the problem Then the mudguard was chafing a little so I raised that and we're back in business.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the misdirection with the breaks, the wheel was off by such a tiny amount I didn't notice it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement