Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tayto hunky dorys

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wouldn't say they're bad. I do like them. I eat a lot of them. Sour Cream and Onion. But only because the bastards at Tayto, subsequent to making their brand more front and centre on the new bags of HD, they are no longer making Ripples! WTactualF?! I was so annoyed I emailed them. They simply agreed that Ripples are nice and that was that. Didn't confirm, deny, nothing....

They did this years ago again, they flattened the taste of a Tayto Ripple for a few years, but they came back again a few years ago. Now, they're gone again. They are far better than anything else Sour Cream and Onion. I'm annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Tayto taytos are the best taytos

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Walkers MAX - Cheese and onion are after being destroyed also ...

WTF have they done to them - they were so nice in a crusty roll .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I wouldn't say they're bad. I do like them. I eat a lot of them. Sour Cream and Onion. But only because the bastards at Tayto, subsequent to making their brand more front and centre on the new bags of HD, they are no longer making Ripples! WTactualF?! I was so annoyed I emailed them. They simply agreed that Ripples are nice and that was that. Didn't confirm, deny, nothing....

They did this years ago again, they flattened the taste of a Tayto Ripple for a few years, but they came back again a few years ago. Now, they're gone again. They are far better than anything else Sour Cream and Onion. I'm annoyed.

Hang on…ripples are still available!

I got a few bags of sour cream and onion ripples in Aldi a few months ago. I snaffled through them in no time.

Tell you what though, taytos limited edition offerings are consistently crap. Spice bag, philly cheese steak etc.

Pure gimmick. Hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Walking_Wolf

O'Donnell's Black pudding flavour crisps are delicious. And I agree, Cheese & Onion Hunky Dorys are disgusting. A lot of the UK brand crisps are better, Burts do a delicious C&O.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hang on…ripples are still available!

I got a few bags of sour cream and onion ripples in Aldi a few months ago. I snaffled through them in no time.

Very hard to get though. Here in Mayo anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Keogh's are way, way better than O' Donnell's and there's no fake bullshlt provenance family farm crap - O Donnell's are a Tayto Brand.

Keogh's are not only way nicer they are actually family owned afaik and made from spuds actually from the farm. And their flavours aren't a sugary mess.

Had no idea of the Tayto connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Are Snax still a thing?

Rancheros?

I mostly moved away from crisps in my teens to Manhattan popcorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

They need to bring these back.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

God be with the days of walking down the street and every second child in a buggy munching on a packet of Snax.

When I was in school, we had vending machines and the buffalo hunky dorys wouldnt last pissing time,serious seller.

I used to love the Manhattan cheesy popcorn.

O'Donnell ballymaloe are seriously good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I prefer Tesco Value plain crisps OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Oh yes, the lack of flavour and texture makes me feel so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Loved buffalo hunky dorys but the flavour is way too inconsistent now. In school buffalo hunky dorys were ridiculously popular. It's like chocolate, companies changing ingredients,taking things out,reducing sugar etc just completely ruining things that were once lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I have somehow managed to get one of those rare decent bags of Hunky Doryys tonight, SC&O of course. Flavour is good, texture isn't bad, bit too crunchy maybe. Not bad overall. But still not Ripples. There's some place in Dubland that delivers, they have them, but Tesco, Supervalu, etc, nah... out of stock in store and online.

I used to always get the Chio Paprika chips in Tesco too, but now they're €4 a pack so **** that, they used to be less than €2 iirc. Fecking lovely though, so I usually splurge on a couple of bags on payday!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

HP Discos (Salt and Vinegar) and Mini Chips are gone rank, very little taste nowadays. One shop selling them around the area the odd time

Seems nobody wants to support an Irish brand still producing proper Cheese and Onion, and the sort of Salt and Vinegar that makes your cheeks pucker.

Manhattan. Not just nuts and popcorn. The best 'old-fashioned' crisps still on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I believe they own a buffalo ranch in Meath. I read that in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Manhattan crisps are delicious, our local occasionally gets some in but only occasionally...

i don’t ever remember them in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah its seems difficult to get the Manhatten crisps anywhere outside of Dublin from my knowledge. One of the SV down here occasionally get the big packs in stock. Cheese & Onion very nice bit the Salt & Vinegar a bit disappointing

You'd always see the other manhatten products almost everywhere (nuts, popcorn etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

@[Deleted User] Seems nobody wants to support an Irish brand still producing proper Cheese and Onion, and the sort of Salt and Vinegar that makes your cheeks pucker.

That sentence written above sounds like a buying a bag of Hula Hoops. The amount of salt you would experience in your mouth while eating them would make you feel like you're sucking rinds out of a lemon. And the aftertaste of the salt is something else to feel in your mouth after it as well. Ugh. 😖

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Too flavorsome like most crisps, no consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm a big Salt and Vinegar fan but I just can't find a brand these days that is consistently good. Lidl do a deluxe S&V plain/ridged that are pretty nice.

Favorite is probably Pringles but like most crisps these days, flavoring is inconsistent and not really sure why. I find something like Doritos Chili Heatwave is reliable.

Advertisement