Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL Rechargeable AA/AAA

• 24-05-2021 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

AA and AAA rechargeable batteries in LIDL next Monday 31st.
    €3.99 for 4

I got some last year and am very happy with them. Last year's had a different colour top (black - these ones are green - maybe it's because they are precharged??) so dunno if these are the same manufacturers.

Last year's were 2800mA, these are 2400 mA.

Guy here tested green top LIDL AA's a couple of years ago and reported them as very good: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/69893

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I have several of these in many devices around the house and they are excellent. They outlast Duracell rechargeable in my trial cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭scotchy

The only problem I've found with them is that they are slightly wider than normal, and don't fit into some gadgets, or have to be persuaded in. I've some bicycle lights that they wont fit into.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They're excellent for the money.

Got a pack of Panasonic's recently being stuck,they last twice as long at least as the Aldi/Lidl brands,they were six euros for two AA's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Are they selling chargers? My IKEA charger has stopped working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

i found the lidl (Tronic? brand)ones rubish. They don't hold charge at all and degrade very fast. I have tried and dumped a few sets already. The everyready ones are excellent as are the Ikea Lada braded ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

corsav6 wrote: »
    I have several of these in many devices around the house and they are excellent. They outlast Duracell rechargeable in my trial cam.
    Duracell make alkaline batteries that leak. Completely unacceptable these days.

They've been asset stripping that brand for a long time.

Precharged – ready to use is a sign they keep their charge. :)

IIRC IKEA ones are OEM'd eneloop ones

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭thebo

Is the leaflet out yet for next week showing what's coming in?

Only showing to 30th on app.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Notch000 wrote: »
    i found the lidl (Tronic? brand)ones rubish. They don't hold charge at all and degrade very fast. I have tried and dumped a few sets already. The everyready ones are excellent as are the Ikea Lada braded ones.

I was accused of trolling before for shooting down such bargains, so kept quiet.

I absolutely agree on all above. Tronic batteries are also a bit larger than standard and get stucked inside many gizmos.

I buy only Eneloops these days. More expensive, but much better.

the amazon basics brand ones both AA and AAA are pretty good - especially when they are on sale

have won several tests

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-rechargeable-batteries/#our-picks-for-the-best-aaa-rechargeable-battery-brands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Precharged – ready to use is a sign they keep their charge. :)

IIRC IKEA ones are OEM'd eneloop ones

Yep, Ikea Ladda batteries are Panasonic Eneloops rebadged, pretty much the best rechargeable batteries available, according to most reviews I've read.

• Advertisement

blastman wrote: »
    Yep, Ikea Ladda batteries are Panasonic Eneloops rebadged, pretty much the best rechargeable batteries available, according to most reviews I've read.

not according to the wirecutter running time tests above :cool: where the amazon basics came out on top for both AA and AAA

The best NiMH are made-in-Japan and coming out of the Fujitsu-owned FDK factory. There's no other Japanese factories so if the packaging says made in Japan you're golden.

Many "brands" change/vary where they source batteries so you have to do your research, check the markings on the pack etc. That includes Panasonic - some of their Eneloops come from the FDK factory, others come from China. Same with Amazon brand.

Ikea Ladda White were a good/cheap source of Japanese FDK batteries but the rumour is that Ikea will change to a new supplier soon. Stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I bought lidl AAAs last year. I usually use the ones from Ikea.

I thought they were running out much faster than batteries usually do so i did a little test of my own.
    In the same gadget with the same use the Ikeas rechargeable last 5 times longer then the lidl ones.

I wont be buying the lidl ones anymore.
    They are cheaper, but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I bought lidl AAAs last year. I usually use the ones from Ikea.

I thought they were running out much faster than batteries usually do so i did a little test of my own.
    In the same gadget with the same use the Ikeas rechargeable last 5 times longer then the lidl ones.

I wont be buying the lidl ones anymore.
    They are cheaper, but thats about it.

They're not bad for four euros. Not as good as the best on the market,but for light use they're grand. Been using the same Aldi batteries for several years.

Got a couple of Kodak's in Dealz,straight In the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

kneemos wrote: »
    They're not bad for four euros. Not as good as the best on the market,but for light use they're grand. Been using the same Aldi batteries for several years.

Got a couple of Kodak's in Dealz,straight In the bin.

Another brand I tried and binned too :D
    USed to think a name meant something.
    Not these days.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Another brand I tried and binned too :D
    USed to think a name meant something.
    Not these days.

lots of brands licence rights to be used on certain products when they themselves don't make them anymore

https://kodakbatteries.com/batteries/alkaline/
    Copyright © 2018 Strand Europe Limited

The Kodak trademark, logo and trade dress are used under license from Eastman Kodak Company.

being in Dealz for 12 batteries for 1.50 (non rechargeable) is probably the biggest clue :D

53465.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Just an update: I bought a pack today, usual warning on them that it takes 5 charge cycles to get to maximum capacity etc.
    Yes, they were fully charged.
    "Eco-friendly" low self-discharge, 75% remains after 1 year.
    Manufactured Dec '20 but it doesn't say where.
    Supplied by EURES, Germany. (I've seen Eures referred to as a good sign)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭oneweb

I've noticed that the last while - just about every Duracell AA/AAA battery I've taken out of something has leaked :mad: FFS, not even the cheapo batteries have done that since the mid 90s.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

glasso wrote: »
    being in Dealz for 12 batteries for 1.50 (non rechargeable) is probably the biggest clue :D
    53465.jpg

Yes- These are just chemical waste - but the Kodak alakaline are a different story -
    you get 5 in a pack for 1.50 and are actualy really really good - about the same as IKEA yellow batteries (which IKEA are discontinuing I believe).

- I gave up using rechargeable as the 40 euros of Maplin batteries I bought all died in a few months of usage....

555098.jpg

I will try a pack of IKEA rechargable though next time I get to IKEA...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Actioncomet

I bought 32 of the Tronic AA batteries in 2010, tried to rebuild the battery packs for a Black and Decker drill, didn't provide enough power to produce decent torque in the drill. So I had load of them. I am still using them in 2022 in the 3 battery led sensor lights that Lidl sold way back then, handy in presses or under stairs. I am also using some year 2010 'D' cells in the Mr. Beams led sensor lights still going but starting to deteriorate in 2022, got another batch of D cells, 4500ma in 2017 they are still going strong and in constant use. Waiting for the D Cells to be back in stock in Lidl, the seem to sell out immediately on the day they are put on the shelf, could use a few C cells for a Lego gadget as well, I hate disposable batteries. I have Duracell 2500ma AA rechargeables for cameras and remotes they are only slightly better than the Tronic batteries and four times the price. If you have a lot of use for batteries it is worth getting a little battery checker, one battery out of each group of four may deteriorate before the others, I put a red dot with a marker on any suspect battery, they will often appear to charge more quickly or heat up more in the charger than the good ones, and eventually I can track down the failing ones. The new Tronic charger IAN 364696_2101-TAL 1000 A1 (If you can find one) HG08139-BS is a beaut for the price with Percentage charge in the display and Minus Delta-U shut off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ocy

Anyone recommend a good battery charger, had a tronic one for years but it’s stopped working. Anyone recommend one

Advertisement