Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

No like i said i'm not trying to convince you.

You know what the word trying means right?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

At the very least we could offer. Were Leo Taoiseach he'd be very magnanimous in that regard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Looks like the walk in centres are getting some serious take up!

This is absolutely brilliant to see, supposedly similar queues in other walk in centres

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What do we think the likelihood is of vaccinated people developing the post-viral conditions that seem to be quite common after even quite mild Covid? A few days after I recovered from what was most probably mild-Covid in March 2020, I developed pleurisy in one lung, esophagitis, costochondritis, post viral thyroiditis and a really stubborn oral/esophageal thrush infection that I'm still dealing with. It took 3 months to get back to something like my normally active self and until near the end of 2020 for the costochondritis to stop hindering me. Do the post-viral conditions kick in because the immune system has overreacted to a novel virus? And being vaccinated ensures a more tailor made, moderate response? Or is there still a risk post-viral inflammations messing people up for months afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well I did something stupid I accidentally clicked do not consent for my second jab, before I figured out my mistake the vaccine portal cancelled my appointment tomorrow. Now I've to wait again. So angry with myself.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dubguy45

Can I please ask if there is another fundamental error in this new procedure to correct stupid errors on your COVID certificate. It does not work and refuses to submit the corrected information. Would anyone have a solution please?

Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dubguy45

Solution found. The ":" and numbers which follow the long part of your Covid Cert ID have to be included without any spaces, which are included on the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I'm not on here as often lately (damn you new Boards layout!) so not really engaging as much as I used to. But just to offer my two cents on the vaccine front lately.

Quite frankly, I find it abhorrent, and in some regards dangerous, the levels to which the media are plumbing to downplay the vaccines. I know their business model is to generate clicks and traffic, and there is nothing more enticing than a "vaccines don't work" story, but their role is bordering on anti-vaxx at this stage. I do not for a second blame the scientists, public health experts, etc. who are still trying to understand a new virus and the vaccine response to it. The reports and scientific papers are expected, but the reality is that very few of the general public are literate in such fields. The mainstream media recognise this, and are selectively publishing bits of data accompanied by a nice dramatic headline to downplay the vaccines. Of this, I have no doubt. Most of these studies should not be part of public discourse, but instead left to the experts.

I see headlines of "breakthrough infections" - hold on, wasn't this entirely expected from vaccines with ~90% efficacy? I hear of "waning immunity" - again, I'm no expert but from what I have read, was this not also expected? But we have memory cells so that our immune system is primed in the event that we are infected post-vaccination? And lately, all the talk of "boosters" - to which I say, big deal! I fail to see the drama and hysteria which others see. The immune system of older cohorts and immunocompromised is obviously not as robust as young, healthy people, so let them get their booster with their annual flu jab and let the rest of us get on with our lives!

Bottom line is the vaccines work. And work incredibly well. The evidence is overwhelming. As others have alluded to, yes you can contract Covid post-vaccination, but the symptoms are a head cold. Now remember life pre-Covid, would a head cold worry anyone? I think we've lost sight of the bigger picture in our obsession with Covid. Time to start moving on and living again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Well said! It’s getting beyond a joke now, we now have SAGE recommending we start culling animals including cats! LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

• Advertisement

it was mentioned in this article from the Daily Shyte Mail, oh we’re going to have a death rate of 35% soon:

Edit: they have since edited that article. They have deleted the culling of cats. Now changed to vaccinating animals lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I agree with most of this post. But the only problem with not publishing the findings of these studies is that you are then giving these anti vax groups and certain media outlets the ammunition to claim that the studies are hiding issues with the vaccines, and thats why they are not releasing the data to them.

I think another problem is that there was an expectation from many people that these vaccines would solve all the problems and put an end to the pandemic here by this summer.

But that was never going to be the case in reality, some form of preventitive measures was always going to be on the cards for a much longer period of time.

The Vaccines work to what was expected in the original trials and we may need boosters at some point, along with keeping some other measures like masks for a good while longer, we can at least see a gradual normalization over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why did they change to no appointments needed will it end up with massive queues and inefficient distribution across the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Any idea when some real world data on janssen against delta will come out?

RTE on a roll. Ryan from the WHO, looks like we’re all doomed. Time to build the bunkers and lock ourelves in foreva. More dangerous killer variants on the way! For a monent i thought i heard there was a vaccine. I must have been hearing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

NY Times are reporting that many people are finding unofficial ways to get a booster shot before they potentially become available.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/29/science/covid-vaccine-booster-third-shot.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nythealth

• They are going to local pharmacies, other states or even other countries — anywhere where there is no record of them having been vaccinated — to get extra doses out of concern about the Delta variant or because they are worried their protection may be wearing off. The news on Thursday that Israel would give them to some older people seems likely to spur the trend.
    • The C.D.C. has not authorized booster shots, but there is a growing consensus in the Biden administration that people who are 65 and older or who have compromised immune systems would benefit from a third shot.
    • Israel giving boosters to those aged 60+.

Very little to stop someone getting an unofficial booster if they are intent on it but it is arguably irresponsible and caries risk if done before the authorities and regulators authorise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Anyone that registered would have already been offered an appointment.

Designed to mop up and encourage a few more to take vaccine. From reports mostly teenagers today. They tend to like queuing and it would have added to the atmosphere and sense of occasion. As they no longer have to do it for Pennys and concert tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Do we have an numbers yet about the vaccine uptake rate for the under 30's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

That's the most recent breakdown we have.

The 0-19 may be based on just the 17-19 eligible population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The mass vaccination phase is coming to an end, perhaps it will get extended for the 12-15 year olds but even in this case it might be better to setup for a day in secondary schools. The crowds are walk ins are good, especially if it got people who were missed out. They need to identify under vaccinated areas and put centres there and get sports organisations, churches, the IFA etc to encourage any laggards to get jabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Got my second jab yesterday and my Covid Certificate emailed to me this morning. Extremely efficient set up it must be said.

No symptoms the first time around and only a sore arm so far on the second jab.

Delighted to be done and dusted!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

33, got 2nd jab yesterday of Pfizer. Feel terrible today, chills, aches and headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Thanks for that. The 20 - 29 group is quite disappointing. I was expecting them to be over 90%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Hard to imagine take up in the 20-29 would surpass the 30-39 & 40-49.

Besides, the 20-29 group are still receiving first doses.

They have gone from 23% on July 8th, to 45% on July 21st to 64% at July 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

At this stage, most of the over 30s that want it have taken it. The line between consent and coersion has well been crossed. Can you not leave those that don't want it alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is a personal choice but every opportunity must be given to those who are not yet vaccinated. Walk-ins are flying and up to 5000 "laggards" were vaccinated yesterday. Some will not engage with the process now by choice but they will still need to be reminded to think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Would be interesting to see what the vaccination rates / infection rates for each county are?

Advertisement