Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

250L or 300L hot water cylinder?

  • 21-05-2021 12:15pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭ corglass


    I'm replacing the hot water cylinder with a new one.

    Trying to decide between 250L and 300L Staineless steel tank (same cost - both 3 coil)

    Heating is oil + solar thermal + eddie solar pv diverter.


    I'm leaning towards the 250L as only 2 in house and less volume means higher temp water faster?


Comments

  • Subscribers Posts: 36,273 ✭✭✭✭ sydthebeat


    corglass wrote: »
    I'm replacing the hot water cylinder with a new one.

    Trying to decide between 250L and 300L Staineless steel tank (same cost - both 3 coil)

    Heating is oil + solar thermal + eddie solar pv diverter.


    I'm leaning towards the 250L as only 2 in house and less volume means higher temp water faster?

    alternatively 300 litres allows you to utilise your renewable energy better

    however average consumption of hot water per person per day is 50 litres.. so you dont need anything like 300 litres


  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ ec_pc


    250 will be fine, meets all our needs for 3 adults + 2 children, have never run out of hot water even on busy days with baths / showers after sports etc. Heated once in morning, top up about 6 pm automatically if needed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭ corglass


    ec_pc wrote: »
    250 will be fine, meets all our needs for 3 adults + 2 children, have never run out of hot water even on busy days with baths / showers after sports etc. Heated once in morning, top up about 6 pm automatically if needed.

    Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    ec_pc wrote: »
    250 will be fine, meets all our needs for 3 adults + 2 children, have never run out of hot water even on busy days with baths / showers after sports etc. Heated once in morning, top up about 6 pm automatically if needed.

    That’s why you’ve never run out! ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    corglass wrote: »
    I'm replacing the hot water cylinder with a new one.

    Trying to decide between 250L and 300L Staineless steel tank (same cost - both 3 coil)

    Heating is oil + solar thermal + eddie solar pv diverter.


    I'm leaning towards the 250L as only 2 in house and less volume means higher temp water faster?

    Since you have Solar and the price is the same I’d go for 300l all day long.

    Especially if you plan to have any power showers, but even without them it’s better to be looking at it than for it.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    sydthebeat wrote: »
    average consumption of hot water per person per day is 50 litres.. so you dont need anything like 300 litres

    Consumption is a tad higher with a wife and 3 teenage daughters :D

    Went for 360l myself when I needed to upgrade 5 years ago. It was the max that could possibly fit in our hotpress. Make sure you get a highly insulated one

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭ corglass


    Went 300l in the end. Happy I avoided the 250L as it's regularly reaching max immersion temp by midday



  • Registered Users Posts: 43,752 ✭✭✭✭ 6


    Does anyone have an approx price on the cost of a 300L tank and installation? Rough total cost.

    Plan to upgrade a 120L tank next year.

    Thanks



Advertisement