Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sold car on DoneDeal, buyer back to me

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    anyone who sells a car should always insist on sending the change of ownership to shannon , never leave it to the buyer

Definitely- I reckon if I had left it inadvertently to them they’d have refused to send it causing possible hassle our end once they’d changed their minds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Allinall wrote: »
    Sale by description.

13. Where there is a contract for the sale of goods by description, there is an implied condition that the goods shall correspond with the description; and if the sale be by sample, as well as by description, it is not sufficient that the bulk of the goods corresponds’ with the sample if the goods do not also correspond with the description.

This is Section 13. All it says is that the goods must be as described.

You could sell a car with one wheel missing, which would obviously dangerous.

As long as the buyer knows that the wheel is missing, then all is good.
    ineedeuro wrote: »
    No you are not
    You can sell a car that hasn't a wheel on it, won't start and is a ball of rubbish

If the person buys it and drives down the road, gets stop by the Garda that is their fault.

You don't need anything in writing.

What Allinall has copied us s13 SOGA 1893 not 1980. My statement is correct (subject to the reasons for the NCT fail as I stated above). The principal part of the provision is cited below.

ineedeuro: you need to do some research rather than shooting ****e from the hip!

ons were conducted were the seller.
    13.—(1) In this section “motor vehicle” means a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical means, including—
    (a) a bicycle or tricycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, and
    (b) a vehicle the means of propulsion of which is electrical or partly electrical and partly mechanical.
    (2) Without prejudice to any other condition or warranty, in every contract for the sale of a motor vehicle (except a contract in which the buyer is a person whose busi- ness it is to deal in motor vehicles) there is an implied condition that at the time of delivery of the vehicle under the contract it is free from any defect which would render it a danger to the public, including persons travelling in the vehicle.
    (3) Subsection (2) of this section shall not apply where—
    (a) it is agreed between the seller and the buyer that the vehicle is not intended for use in the condition in which it is to be delivered to the buyer under the contract, and
    (b) a document consisting of a statement to that effect is signed by or on behalf of the seller and the buyer and given to the buyer prior to or at the time of such delivery, and
    (c) it is shown that the agreement referred to in paragraph (a) is fair and reasonable.
    (4) Save in a case in which the implied condition as to freedom from defects referred to in subsection (2) is either not incorporated in the contract or has been effectively excluded from the contract pursuant to that subsection, in the case of every sale of a motor vehicle by a person whose business it is to deal in motor vehicles a certificate in writing in such form as the Minister may by regulations prescribe shall be given to the buyer by or on behalf of the seller to the effect that the vehicle is, at the time of delivery, free from any defect which would render it a danger to the public, including persons travelling in the vehicle.
    (5) Where an action is brought for breach of the implied c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭HBC08

Always, always get the buyer to sign a receipt saying the car was sold as seen.

it takes five minutes to type one up and it would stop a lot of this messing.

Also, a burner phone is a must.

Is the burner phone idea negated by the fact your address is apparently on the logbook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭elperello

HBC08 wrote: »
    Is the burner phone idea negated by the fact your address is apparently on the logbook?

Not completely the burner phone ensures that they can't make your life miserable by phoning you up complaining.

Of course if they saw the address on cert or were at your house they know where you live.

Just makes contact more difficult I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Can't keep ringing or messaging a VLC address can you ... Well slowly with letters I suppose.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭HBC08

Can't keep ringing or messaging a VLC address can you ... Well slowly with letters I suppose.....

What's a VLC address?

What's a VLC address?

Vehicle licensing cert?

You’d find a lot of people that would harass you by text or phone wouldn’t be as quick if they had to land on a doorstep and face it in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭zg3409

Just to add another slant to this. My neighbour is a bit of a wheeler dealer selling cars from his driveway. They are polished to the max but many may have been standing for months before being sold. He often rushes out and jump starts them and warms them up before naive buyers arrive. I assume the 12 volt battery in them all will fail the next morning after being sold.

Anyway one night a disgruntled buyer returned and is having an argument with the wife on the doorstep, all while the husband is away. I would not like to be in that position on either side.

Personally I would expect the car to go for 24 hours at least if I bought it. Legally I might not have a leg to stand on, but not starting the next day would be sure to have buyers remorse.
    Many people are living hand to mouth and don't have the funds to poar into a banger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

zg3409 wrote: »
    Just to add another slant to this. My neighbour is a bit of a wheeler dealer selling cars from his driveway. They are polished to the max but many may have been standing for months before being sold. He often rushes out and jump starts them and warms them up before naive buyers arrive. I assume the 12 volt battery in them all will fail the next morning after being sold.

Anyway one night a disgruntled buyer returned and is having an argument with the wife on the doorstep, all while the husband is away. I would not like to be in that position on either side.

Personally I would expect the car to go for 24 hours at least if I bought it. Legally I might not have a leg to stand on, but not starting the next day would be sure to have buyers remorse.
    Many people are living hand to mouth and don't have the funds to poar into a banger.

If your neighbour is selling cars from his driveway he'd want to be careful one of those disgruntled buyers doesn't ring the Revenue instead.

Advertisement