Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance advice for someone accustomed to NHS free healthcare

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

If you pay a health insurance through an employer via your payslip less than the regular price as your employer covers a part of it, or all, then you will pay benefit in kind and will be able to get back I think up to 200 Euro through the Revenue Commissioners. If you pay for insurance yourself as an individual and there's no employer contribution, then a tax-relief is already calculated to your final price.

I read in the news a few months ago that the government wants to reduce this tax-relief, but haven't heard anything since so I guess nothing changed in that regard.

However, I still stand to my opinion that I'd rather pay a few % more tax off my income rather than making a profit to the insurance companies in order to get a proper public health service in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It has taken you 2 years to sort it out?

I shall refrain from making any jokes about the civil service

Health insurance is an added extra - it allows you skip a queue if needed. It gets you a better bed, maybe better coffee too. You'll get a better choice of consultants. If you have any health issues or your family have a history of issues, its nice to have at your age.

But if you are healthy I'd be keeping it to the absolute minimum for the moment and then revisit it at the age of 40.

If you have an emergency, you will be treated that same as everyone else in an emergency situation. No better and no worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭FledNanders

I work in the health insurance industry, and Company Plan Plus Level 1.3 is a good plan in terms of value for money and has very good benefits if you ever need to use them. It's probably overkill on the orthopedic and ophthalmic cover based on your age but it's no harm to have it there I guess.

Also just to comment on some people mentioning brokers earlier in the thread such as Cornmarket etc, they are generally all tied to Irish Life and will not recommend Laya or VHI plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I think you are confusing apples and oranges. None of the Irish health insurance plans will deliver equivalence to the NHS. Irish health insurance plans are a jump the queue scheme rather than NHS-style services. You might get better secondary and tertiary care as you’ll “jump the queue” but no primary care cover nor medications.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

However, I still stand to my opinion that I'd rather pay a few % more tax off my income rather than making a profit to the insurance companies in order to get a proper public health service in return.

What an utterly bizarre attitude to have, especially when it comes to a matter of life and death. The insurance companies allow people faster access to healthcare compared to the HSE. We already spend far too much on Health and you want to give the HSE more? Willing to languish in pain , possibly die, just to stick it to the insurance companies shareholders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

HSE should provide an equally effective and efficient health care, rather then us relying on the private businesses. Health care shouldn't be private as isn't an essential social benefit. We already pay tax and HSE get them a lot. So why should we not expect the HSE system to work well for our money?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

*** Mod Warning ***

A public policy debate or similar does not benefit the OP. If you:

• Have a question about a specific financial product ask it
    • If you have factual information that would help the OP post it
    • If you want a soap box this not it.

Advertisement