Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

New Laptop - keeping is safe?

• 19-05-2021 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭ phog

Not sure where to post this but I'll try here.

I'm in the process of getting a new Laptop and would like to keep it like new :D

It will be be a Windows 10 Laptop

What AV, Malware, Adblockers, etc should I consider using?

Also, should I create an Admin Access then create individual restricted access for each member of the family - would this lessen the likelihood of a virus being downloaded

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ berocca2016

phog wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this but I'll try here.

I'm in the process of getting a new Laptop and would like to keep it like new :D

It will be be a Windows 10 Laptop

What AV, Malware, Adblockers, etc should I consider using?

Also, should I create an Admin Access then create individual restricted access for each member of the family - would this lessen the likelihood of a virus being downloaded

Thanks in advance

Id recommend Avast, install the free version and disable notifications, found it uses the least RAM on a day to day basis.

I would literally uninstall everything (bloatware) before you connect to the Internet. These free trials just take up space and you'll most likely never use them bar a possible office 365 trial.

You don't need a paid antivirus, the laptop will probably have a free trial of mcafee etc. Uninstall this first before installing a free antivirus!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭ phog

Would it be safe/ok to do a Windows 10 refresh before I do anything else with the laptop. Would that remove the freeware stuff?

Is there a danger I could remove programs that are required by the laptop by doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ berocca2016

phog wrote: »
    Would it be safe/ok to do a Windows 10 refresh before I do anything else with the laptop. Would that remove the freeware stuff?

Is there a danger I could remove programs that are required by the laptop by doing that?

To be honest, I don't know! I'm just going on personal experience of buying a dog rough Laptop in a panic at the start of Covid that was extremely slow!

I manually uninstalled all the bloatware and seemed to work for me!

Advertisement