Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected]ds.ie for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Where to next?

  • 18-05-2021 6:30pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ Ricey3509


    I'm looking for some advice or at least some validation of my thoughts :o

    I've had an ebike since the tail end of last summer (Cube Nature) which I bought with the intention of cycling to work and to hopefully get myself a little fitter without being a sweaty mess when I arrived in the office.

    As things turned out I never went back into the office and it looks like I won't more than a day or so per week until the end of the year (or I change job!), so the commuting reason to keep the ebike is mostly gone. I've also been out cycling quite a bit and my fitness has improved to the point that most of the time I ride with the assistance off. However, its a heavy bike (20+ Kg) and I'm thinking I might be better served by getting a lighter non ebike. I'm not interested in getting a full on road racer but was thinking of a hybrid flat bar like the canyon roadlite or cannondale quick disc as a replacement - any opinions on these?

    As regards selling the cube , I've never traded a bike in but I assume it follows the same model as with cars i.e. you'd get a better overall deal by selling privately or do bikes shops offer decent trade in values?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭ DaveyDave


    If you have a decent base fitness then a nice hybrid like the Roadlite will be very nippy. I started cycling on a 15kg Lapierre hardtail mountain bike for a few years then went to a 9kg Roadlite (drop bar version) and it was like a rocket. Average speed went from 22-23kph to 30-32kph, better bike mixed with good training from the heavier bike.

    I don't know much about trading in a bike but I imagine a private sale is best.

    I'd say avoid a suspension fork as they're unnecessary and heavy, if you want comfort a nice wide set of tyres will help along with a decent saddle.

    I'm on my third Canyon, I had a Roadlite AL 6.0 (drop bar) and currently have an Endurace CF 7.0 and Endurace ON ebike, nice bikes. Only issue is the fork are an odd size so you might not have many stem options if you want to change and their headset bearings can be their own sizing and expensive to replace but that's not something you need to replace often.


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ Ricey3509


    DaveyDave wrote: »
    If you have a decent base fitness then a nice hybrid like the Roadlite will be very nippy. I started cycling on a 15kg Lapierre hardtail mountain bike for a few years then went to a 9kg Roadlite (drop bar version) and it was like a rocket. Average speed went from 22-23kph to 30-32kph, better bike mixed with good training from the heavier bike.

    I don't know much about trading in a bike but I imagine a private sale is best.

    I'd say avoid a suspension fork as they're unnecessary and heavy, if you want comfort a nice wide set of tyres will help along with a decent saddle.

    I'm on my third Canyon, I had a Roadlite AL 6.0 (drop bar) and currently have an Endurace CF 7.0 and Endurace ON ebike, nice bikes. Only issue is the fork are an odd size so you might not have many stem options if you want to change and their headset bearings can be their own sizing and expensive to replace but that's not something you need to replace often.

    Thanks for the reply

    I'm averaging very similar average speeds to you, around 23/24 km/h with assistance off. I'm going to pop back to the shop (cycle superstore) where I bought the bike and see what sort of trade in they'd offer me.

    The roadlite 7 is my favourite at the moment but doesn't look like it will be in stock until July but cycle superstore have the cannondale quick disc 1 in stock. They look similar spec to my untrained eye but I prefer the look of the roadlite :

    Roadlite 7
    Quick Disc 1


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,650 ✭✭✭✭ Wishbone Ash


    DaveyDave wrote: »
    ..I don't know much about trading in a bike....
    Most bike shops wouldn't be interested in doing a trade in.


  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 32,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Seth Brundle


    Most bike shops wouldn't be interested in doing a trade in.
    CSS do sell used bikes though


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,650 ✭✭✭✭ Wishbone Ash


    CSS do sell used bikes though
    Yes, I posted before I saw it mentioned in his/her second post.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ Ricey3509


    Thought I'd bring this thread up to date, sold the ebike privately and after taking a friend of mines synapse out for a spin decided to get a road bike instead of the roadlite. A Canyon Endurace Al 7.0 popped up in my size on the canyon outlet store last week , looks like it will get delivered next week. Looking forward to it now!


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭ DaveyDave


    Happy days, lovely bike. Shimano 105 is the sweet spot of price to performance in my opinion. Something like the Endurace AL is a big upgrade over the typical hybrid or hardtail mountain bike a lot of people start off cycling on.

    It might not be an issue for you but if you find the braking performance isn't great particularly in the wet I'd recommend swapping the 105 pads out for something from SwissStop.


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ Ricey3509


    DaveyDave wrote: »
    Happy days, lovely bike. Shimano 105 is the sweet spot of price to performance in my opinion. Something like the Endurace AL is a big upgrade over the typical hybrid or hardtail mountain bike a lot of people start off cycling on.

    It might not be an issue for you but if you find the braking performance isn't great particularly in the wet I'd recommend swapping the 105 pads out for something from SwissStop.

    I thought about waiting for a disc brake bike to come up but I’m basically a fair weather cyclist so not too concerned about wet weather performance but thanks for the steer on the swissstop.


  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ byrnem31


    That can't be right, in stock and all?


  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ byrnem31


    byrnem31 wrote: »
    That can't be right, in stock and all?



    https://bikesoutlet.biz/product/canyon-endurace-al-disc-7-0/


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭ MojoMaker


    Worth a punt at that price no doubt. Proven frame and 105 won't see you wrong.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭ secman


    MojoMaker wrote: »
    Worth a punt at that price no doubt. Proven frame and 105 won't see you wrong.

    Perfect for a winter bike


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ Ricey3509


    Hmmmm, is that site legit?


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ Ricey3509


    Ricey3509 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, is that site legit?

    Googled it and definitely looks like a scam site


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭ Plastik


    You can't buy a new Canyon from anyone other than Canyon direct.


  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ byrnem31


    It's a definite scam.


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ Ricey3509


    Another question, the Endurace comes with 25mm tyres as standard, should I consider switching to 28mm immediately or see how I get on with the 25mm?

    My amateur googling suggests the 28mm would make for a more comfortable ride.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭ DaveyDave


    Ricey3509 wrote: »
    Another question, the Endurace comes with 25mm tyres as standard, should I consider switching to 28mm immediately or see how I get on with the 25mm?

    My amateur googling suggests the 28mm would make for a more comfortable ride.

    I'd say see how you get on with the stock tyres first then you can figure out if you want wider for comfort but you also might want something a bit lighter/faster such as GP5000 or maybe a bit more puncture resistance such as the GP 4 Seasons, Gatorskins etc.

    I had 32c Schwalbe E One tyres on my Endurace ON for a few weeks, switched to 26c Pirelli Cinturato Velo and I can't really say they're any less comfortable. The 32c tyres felt bloated to me, 26c feel slicker and more in tune with the road surface if that makes sense but i prefer skinny tyres, high pressure and good feedback with the road. Same when I went from 23c to 25c, didn't notice any difference. Maybe it's just me!


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ Ricey3509


    DaveyDave wrote: »
    I'd say see how you get on with the stock tyres first then you can figure out if you want wider for comfort but you also might want something a bit lighter/faster such as GP5000 or maybe a bit more puncture resistance such as the GP 4 Seasons, Gatorskins etc.

    I had 32c Schwalbe E One tyres on my Endurace ON for a few weeks, switched to 26c Pirelli Cinturato Velo and I can't really say they're any less comfortable. The 32c tyres felt bloated to me, 26c feel slicker and more in tune with the road surface if that makes sense but i prefer skinny tyres, high pressure and good feedback with the road. Same when I went from 23c to 25c, didn't notice any difference. Maybe it's just me!

    So bike turned up today , minor scratch on seat post which was why it was in the outlet otherwise perfect. Rear wheel was punctured so first job was to put a new tube in. Only had a brief spin but I’ve never been on a bike like it before, fast, really smooth and very comfortable. The seat looked like it would be v uncomfortable but actually found it comfy , it’s a sella italia boost.

    Anyhow, so far so good, looking forward to getting out for a longer spin at the weekend.


Advertisement