Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast speed test but all downloads are much slower

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

when was your FTTH installed / activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

35 Seconds. Honestly, I don't know what has changed here. I did nothing apart from install this VPN (ZenMate) in chrome.

Keep it simple. Remove your VPN until such a time as when we know the problem is not on your local network.

Perform the Noobs download a few times today, maybe an hour apart. See if you still get similar speeds. But just on that one noobs download alone, the problem is not your connection but the source of the download.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

when was your FTTH installed / activated?

In November last year. Downloads have been slow the last week until half an hour ago.
    RangeR wrote: »
    Keep it simple. Remove your VPN until such a time as when we know the problem is not on your local network.

Perform the Noobs download a few times today, maybe an hour apart. See if you still get similar speeds. But just on that one noobs download alone, the problem is not your connection but the source of the download.

I've removed the VPN extension just to test as that was one of the things I didn't try.

Not sure if installing a chrome extension can modify network settings or not but the problem seems to have gone (for now).

Back in action:
    553525.png

I've removed the VPN extension just to test as that was one of the things I didn't try.

Not sure if installing a chrome extension can modify network settings or not but the problem seems to have gone (for now).

Well done. Yes, the extension you installed alters your network settings. It's tunneling your network through it's VPN, at least what you do in Chrome, not system wide. I doubt it had any effect on downloading VCode.

RangeR wrote: »
    Well done. Yes, the extension you installed alters your network settings. It's tunneling your network through it's VPN, at least what you do in Chrome, not system wide. I doubt it had any effect on downloading VCode.

I thought it would only affect Chrome. This is strange because I checked my phone and the download speeds basically match the wired connection of my PC again. Phones connected to the 5G band.

I'd love to know the root cause of this, but I'm just glad to have our service back to normal.

• Advertisement

I thought it would only affect Chrome

It does. That's what I said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you should look into running OPNsense or something for a router and getting rid of the eir provided one. Would give you more to look at when trying to diagnose any issue

you should look into running OPNsense or something for a router and getting rid of the eir provided one. Would give you more to look at when trying to diagnose any issue

Funnily enough, the router provided seems to do just as well as the ASUS DSL-AC68U one I had previously.

This issue didn't seem like a router one as it's back working after I didn't change anything on it in the meantime.

Advertisement