Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residing in Northern Ireland - potential employer not happy

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

onrail wrote: »
    They've come back saying this wouldn't be acceptable - I would have to be residing in the ROI tax juristiction.

It would probably be a good idea to seek more information on their objections, as taxation is only one aspect and in many ways it's the easier one, because it is codified and can be dealt with.

In the past when I have spoken with legal departments about this, their main concern is around the employer's ability to control the employee from a legal point of view. Say for instance if you had some proprietary information belong to the company and they needed to get an injunction to prevent you disclosing it, it would have to be done in two jurisdictions as would any action against the publishers etc.... when employers hear this kind of stuff they usually go for the easy option and just say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

Edit: I think your personal tax compliance won't be a problem- you seem to have a grasp on it.

My concern here is that I'd be submitting my UK tax return with documents containing my ROI address. Seems like it could be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Wales is different. An Employer couldn't discriminate against an employee who lives in NI. E.g. if you lived and worked in Dundalk for a company but then moved house to Newry, would your employer be entitled to fire you for that?

It's not about where he lives, it's about where he works. The OP's address is only relevant in this instance because he will be working from home in another jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

We have an issue in work now that might be part of your employers reservations. Dublin based company, with offices in the other cities. Q department manager who has been working from home 15 mins away from office but available to come in when needed wants to move home to Waterford and work from home full time.
    Issue is now the precedent of allowing someone to fully transition to a permanent work from home situation. For everyone that thinks they do a great job from home, there are challenges from a management point of view. IT infrastructure for one, and for a manager of people can he/she be available face to face if needed. Offices aren't fully automated, nor are IT systems. Needs hands on sometimes.

What if the financial controller then decides she wants to move down the country....she could do most of her duties yes but someone in the office picking up the slack for duties she can't perform.
    Hard to say no after a precedent of another manager working from home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    We have an issue in work now that might be part of your employers reservations. Dublin based company, with offices in the other cities. Q department manager who has been working from home 15 mins away from office but available to come in when needed wants to move home to Waterford and work from home full time.
    Issue is now the precedent of allowing someone to fully transition to a permanent work from home situation. For everyone that thinks they do a great job from home, there are challenges from a management point of view. IT infrastructure for one, and for a manager of people can he/she be available face to face if needed. Offices aren't fully automated, nor are IT systems. Needs hands on sometimes.

What if the financial controller then decides she wants to move down the country....she could do most of her duties yes but someone in the office picking up the slack for duties she can't perform.
    Hard to say no after a precedent of another manager working from home

The obvious solution would be to include some sort of caveat re in-office attendance when necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 La la lopsy

It’s a contract position, you’ve asked, they’ve said no. You mess them around after starting by doing what they told you they didn’t want my guess would be your contract won’t be renewed

Advertisement